San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Did the envelope was addressed from USCIS?

The origin of the envelope is clearly marked, and it will be hard to miss that it is from USCIS.

I believe ahsieh is refering to the letter inside the envelope. For starters, the paper looks like something I would use in my printer at home. It is not the off-white kind with background image you normally get from USCIS.

In addition, my letter is printed rather poorly. The line alignment is off, and check marks are misplaced. However, I am easily able to interpret the intent of the various entries. I suspect others' letters too had similar issues.

Overall, the experience can be somewhat dissappointing to us, given that we have waited long and reached what seems like the last step. Clearly, USCIS could have done better.

Thanks a lot Smurthy

The origin of the envelope is clearly marked, and it will be hard to miss that it is from USCIS.

I believe ahsieh is refering to the letter inside the envelope. For starters, the paper looks like something I would use in my printer at home. It is not the off-white kind with background image you normally get from USCIS.

In addition, my letter is printed rather poorly. The line alignment is off, and check marks are misplaced. However, I am easily able to interpret the intent of the various entries. I suspect others' letters too had similar issues.

Overall, the experience can be somewhat dissappointing to us, given that we have waited long and reached what seems like the last step. Clearly, USCIS could have done better.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
bkarth

Congratulations to all the people who are getting oath and here are our details:
See you some of you there

04/04/07: Priority Mail
04/09/07: Received
04/09/07: Priority Date
05/07/07: Notice Date
05/07/07: FP Notice
06/09/07: FP Appt and Done
11/23/07: Interview Letter
01/08/08: Interview Passed
01/25/08: Oath letter received Woo Hoo
02/21/08: Oath Scheduled at Campbell heritage Theatre at 1.00pm.

Congratulations to all the people who got the Christmas presents a bit late this year in the form of the oath letter.

waitforsolong, I hope you don't have to wait for much longer.

Good luck to all.

Looks like there are several oath ceremonies in February. Perhaps they are trying to catch up since there was no ceremony in December.

I just got my letter last week. The notice was send on Jan/16 and I am scheduled for oath on Feb/15 at 8:30am at USCIS on Monterey Highway, San Jose.

My interview was on Nov/1 but since I was going out of the country for the holidays I had asked that my oath be scheduled for after my return date. The officer took note and it seems to have worked out ok.

To be fair with USCIS San Jose they seem to be scheduling more ceremonies per month. However, they are still one of the slowest offices in the nation. It's probably time for them to permanently increase resources, or move to a larger facility or something like that, because this has been going for years ;)

Completed our infopass today. The officer said my wife's application was approved on 18th december but she is not scheduled for oath.

She did not give anything more but advised us to wait.
So the wait begins.

I'm a citizen as of the 23'rd of this month!!!

took my oath in campbell at 3PM. I was the only one from my country there...

Went on the 24th to the passport office and got a passport (same day processing) worked great!

Loved the letter from president bush in the envelope they handed out (i don't care if you are a republican or not, i loved the gesture)!

Is this country great or what!?

Hello PARB,
Congratulations!
What does one require for the same day passport processing?
Also did you go to the San Francisco passport office?

ahsieh,

I have question for you, when you said the Oath letter was plain white paper,how did it look? Did the envelope was addressed from USCIS? I am NYC and I don't want my room mate treating it as another junk mail that is why I want to know hoe to ID the Oath letter.

Thanks,
bkarth

Hi bkarth,

I guess Smurthy has already answered your question.
Yes, the envelop is the same as other letters; you can't tell the difference just from the appearance.
It is just thinner than other letters I have received so far.
Also like Smurthy said, it is printed poorly on plain home printer paper instead of those fancy tree-killing thick paper that we used to see.
Anyway, bottom-line is you won't miss it if you haven't missed anything from CIS before.

Hmmm.. according to N400toLawrence, the processing time has not got worsen, if not gone a bit better.
The early and multiple oath schedule is really a surprise for me.
So far I have seen at least 5 oath schedules in Feb, unbelievable!!!!!

2/14
2/15 8:30am
2/21 10:00am
2/21 1:00pm
2/21 3:00pm

Got my oath letter too!

I received my oath letter today, 3.5 months after my interview (and no one at the DO knows why it was delayed that long). The ceremony is on Feb. 21st at 10 AM.

Congratulations to others who also received oath letters. I hope mimithecat and VodkaMartini007 have also received their letters.

Thanks smurthy,

Finally got mine in the mail last night. I was wondering how others who have been waiting are doing too. So I looked you up. Yay, super happy for you. I guess your wish has brought me my OL :). I am scheduled for 2/21/2008 8AM in L.A. What a coincidence. I read your other post about how poorly the oath letter was printed. LOL. Mime was printed in plain paper and the check marks were all off the alignment too. I was questioning my husband whether he had just faked the letter himself to cheer me up :D

I was interviewed on 01/09 but haven't received the interview letter. The only difference in my case is that I moved from Santa Clara to San Jose just before the interview and I updated the address online as well as personally at the interview. The interviewer also confirmed the Oath letter will come to the new address. The apt. I used to live in is already rented, so I can't access their mailbox. Should I schedule an infopass to straighten things out?

I was interviewed on 01/09 but haven't received the interview letter. The only difference in my case is that I moved from Santa Clara to San Jose just before the interview and I updated the address online as well as personally at the interview. The interviewer also confirmed the Oath letter will come to the new address. The apt. I used to live in is already rented, so I can't access their mailbox. Should I schedule an infopass to straighten things out?

Isn't asking for the new renter if he gets and still has your letter a bit easier?

Isn't asking for the new renter if he gets and still has your letter a bit easier?

I did and also left a prepaid self addressed envelope in case they receive the letter. I somehow get the feeling that they have screwed things up. I'll schedule an infopass if I don't get it in the mail today.

Passed my interview today

My experience is pretty much the same as everyone else.

- Appt time: 10:20AM, Arrived : 10:05AM
- Left my cell phone in the car
- Went thru security check, proceeded to 2nd floor, the guard wrote & told me to put the appt letter in Window 1
- There were about 20-25ppl in the waiting room. I was called at 10:30AM, interview with Officer Wu
- Before sitting down, did the "I swear the truth" thing
- She asked for my passport (current & expired), DL or ID, Greencard
- She went thru my applications, I mentioned few changes i.e. my travel after N400 submission and my wife's status from H1B to F1
- She also asked for my Selective Service evidence, she said about 95% people do not register for SS, she asked me how I was able to register. I said because my company lawyer informed and advised me.
- She asked about willing to bear arms, any arrest/conviction, etc...
- We chit-chat about my country, company, etc... just light conversations
- While chatting, she asked "What is the Constitution?" I was taken off guard because I thought we were still talking about other things, she basically started the test without any indication she started the civic test, but it was alright.
  • what is the Constitution?
  • can the Constitution be changed?
  • what do you call a change to the Constitution?
  • what is the first 10 amendments called?
  • what year was the Constitution written?
  • in case the President/Vice Pres die,who becomes the president?
  • who signs bills into law?
I forgot the other questions, there are probably 2 more questions. the questions were asked pretty quickly one after another.
- Wrote cursive name on my pictures. My signature is almost like a cursive lettering, she said... it does not have to be the same as my signature.

At the end she ticked "Congratulations! Your Application has been recommended for approval" N-652 letter. She told me my oath should be either on March or April.

I got to keep my greencard until Oath day, in case I need to travel abroad before Oath.

that's all...

I am hoping somehow I can be squeezed in Feb oath :) since there are about 5 sessions :) just hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huracan and other experts!
I'm having second thoughts in scheduling Infopass appointment. I'm getting one for this Friday. My problem is that I had my interview on 1/9 and haven't received my oath letter yet. I did change my residence from Santa Clara to San Jose. I updated my address online and also in person at the time of interview and the interviewer confirmed that the oath letter will go to new address. He also told me that I'll get Oath in Feb. Given that everyone else who was interviewed around the same time has already received their Feb oath letters, I'm beginning to wonder if my letter is sitting in some recycling garbage can somewhere. I have already connected with the folks living in my old apt. and my letters are getting forwarded too but I can't rule out the possibility of that letter getting tossed out to a garbage can.

Long story short, my basic question is, if I schedule an infopass for day after tomorrow, will that make the IO mad? Are they going to be pissed off as I didn't wait long enough? But on the other hand if I wait too much, I might miss out on the Oath and if that happens my oath will get delayed by indefinite period. And another minor question is, should the Infopass case type be Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry.? It says following on the final page of the infopass request: You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment. But I don't have any request id.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't concern myself with what USCIS IO thinks. They are there to answer questions about your case, not to pass judgment against you.

I wouldn't worry about any detrimental effect of scheduling the Infopass. I haven't scheduled an Infopass myself, so I am not too sure about the options. When I took a look at the Infopass options I also got a bit confused. It is possible that your case went to supervisor and it got slightly delayed, but it is good to check considering that you have moved from your previous residence and things could have been lost in the mail.

Good luck.

Huracan and other experts!
I'm having second thoughts in scheduling Infopass appointment. I'm getting one for this Friday. My problem is that I had my interview on 1/9 and haven't received my oath letter yet. I did change my residence from Santa Clara to San Jose. I updated my address online and also in person at the time of interview and the interviewer confirmed that the oath letter will go to new address. He also told me that I'll get Oath in Feb. Given that everyone else who was interviewed around the same time has already received their Feb oath letters, I'm beginning to wonder if my letter is sitting in some recycling garbage can somewhere. I have already connected with the folks living in my old apt. and my letters are getting forwarded too but I can't rule out the possibility of that letter getting tossed out to a garbage can.

Long story short, my basic question is, if I schedule an infopass for day after tomorrow, will that make the IO mad? Are they going to be pissed off as I didn't wait long enough? But on the other hand if I wait too much, I might miss out on the Oath and if that happens my oath will get delayed by indefinite period. And another minor question is, should the Infopass case type be Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry.? It says following on the final page of the infopass request: You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment. But I don't have any request id.

Thanks in advance!

Although I think you have legitimate reasons to schedule an infopass (you have moved to new address and you know people interviewed after you have received oath letters), you might as well wait for a week or so and then schedule the infopass. If by any chance the letter is stuck in the postal system, you would have given it a reasonable chance. Feb 21st is still 3 weeks ahead.

I had my&wife's interview scheduled on 26th Feb, 9:30am at San jose. Can I take my 4 yr old with us?? Did anybody took their kids???
thanks