San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I am anticipating some foreign travel after oath but before I get US passports. Any idea, if I can still travel with non-US passport after taking oath? If so, what travel documents or citizenship docs should I carry as proof? And how long would the passport process take, after oath? Could some experts help me understand this process...? thanks in advance.

You can get a passport in person from the san francisco passport agency office, if you show impending travel within 2 weeks. You need to take an appointment though.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/npic/npic_898.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Received IL

Hi All

I have received IL today(12/31/2007). Scheduled for Feb 19, 2008.

Happy New Year to All.
Thanks

Questions about the interview

Two quick questions about the interview:

1) The document checklist says to bring all passports (current and expired). I have an expired passport which I used when I first entered the US. But it is not with me anymore. Would this be a problem? Anyone else faced the same situation? Would it be worth the trouble to ask my folks to mail it from India?

2) The document checklist also "strongly recommends" to bring two passport photographs. Is that really necessary?

I would suggest take everything you have(and more!!! that means get all old documents, new pictures, etc). There is no point taking any chances. If any problem occurs, it would delay the entire process.

Two quick questions about the interview:

1) The document checklist says to bring all passports (current and expired). I have an expired passport which I used when I first entered the US. But it is not with me anymore. Would this be a problem? Anyone else faced the same situation? Would it be worth the trouble to ask my folks to mail it from India?

2) The document checklist also "strongly recommends" to bring two passport photographs. Is that really necessary?

IL Received

I got my IL letter on 12/30/2007. Its scheduled for Feb 26th 2008.

My Time line

Mailed 05/28/07
PD 06/01/07
FP 08/20/07
IL Letter recvd 12/30/07
Interview 02/26/08

IL lost in the mail?

Hi,

My priority date is 04/06/2007 and my wife's date is 04/05. My wife received the IL in mid Nov but I have not got it yet. I am wondering if my IL was lost in the mail? We happened to be out of town during Thanksgiving and put our mail on hold, so would the USPS returned the IL because of "return service required"? I am worried if I would miss the interview and the case closed?

Anyway, I guess I should call USCIS to check if there is an interview scheduled for my case. The furthest I got in the phone system is checking my case with error like "temporary system problem & could not retrieve your information, please call again at another time". Is there a way I can speak to a representative?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

I got my oath letter on dec 26th. And oath is on Jan 23rd in Campbel center.

Thanks

Two questions

Hi all,
My wife completed her resceduled interview on Jan 3rd. Her petition is recommended for final approval.
I got a letter for my rescheduled oath in Jan at USCIS.

I have two questions :
can I sign and date the oath ivitation letter before I go to the oath? Or should I do it in front of an Immigration officer ?

When I apply for my passport, should I send the original naturalization certificate ? Or is a photocopy enough?

-Vimal

Hi all,
My wife completed her resceduled interview on Jan 3rd. Her petition is recommended for final approval.
I got a letter for my rescheduled oath in Jan at USCIS.

I have two questions :
can I sign and date the oath ivitation letter before I go to the oath? Or should I do it in front of an Immigration officer ?

When I apply for my passport, should I send the original naturalization certificate ? Or is a photocopy enough?

-Vimal

The Oath letter instruction says fill it and bring it when you come to te oath. So it is clear, I think.

When we apply for passport ORIGINAL certificate is required. I heard in other forums it says on the naturalization certificate making photocopies is illegal. Once I get certificate i will confirm.

Oath Letter Check List

Hi,

Please some one can post what are the check list of documents required for the oath?

Oath letter Says:
- GC
- Any Immigration Documents ??
- Any Travel documents ??

Thank You
- Chips

Don't worry, GC is the important one. If the other categories don't apply to you, then don't bring anything extra.

Hello all,

I am expecting to get my oath done sometime in Feb/March.
After that, I want to sponsor my wife who is currently in F1 to get her EAD and Greencard.
Can anyone point me what to do or point to a thread for this issue... it seems that the process is more complicated than getting a citizenship. Should I hire a lawyer?

Happy New Year 2008! Interview Done & info. may help.

Dear Friends! Happy New Year 2008!
Today I have completed my interview.

I got a letter said "You have passed" & "Congratulations.........":)

Interview was very simple & Officer was so nice & very friendly, time total 11 minutes:

Pull your right hand and say will tell everything TRUTH....

1. Sit-down and talk some basic info. check & chatting, show your DL, GC & passport.
2. Writing 1 line "I have a big dog"
3. Reading " I can read, write and speak English well"
4. Go through the application, if any changes (specially employment & trips changes)
5. Sign in pictures & applications(Cursive style must)
6. 4 History question:
a) How many star in flags: 50
b) What is national anthem for US: The Star-Spangled Banner
c) Who is president today? George W. Bush
d) Minimum voting age? 18
7. Thank you and Congratulations and hand over the letter and said oath will come within 1-3 months.
& have a great day!

Now I am waiting for oath.... :cool:

Huracan I had cancelled my trip and take this priority, when you think oath will come? any guess?

Thank all of you for sharing great info....this is great forum. Appreciate all.

04/04/07: Priority Mail
04/09/07: Received
04/09/07: Priority Date
05/07/07: Notice Date
05/07/07: FP Notice
06/09/07: FP Appt and Done
11/23/07: Interview Letter
01/08/08: Interview done
??/??/08?: Oath

Don't worry, GC is the important one. If the other categories don't apply to you, then don't bring anything extra.
Hello Huracan!

Could you please share what is the process to get the US citizen certificate for son (10 year old - India born & has GC, living here) and what is the best way to get US Passport faster?

If anybody also share much appreciated! Thanks!

Basically the form that you need is N-600. I took some calculated risks and if my memory serves me well just sent photocopies of Green Card (of my child), Naturalization Certificates (wife and I) and I think also Birth Certificate (of my child). I didn't send copy of the marriage certificate or school records (of my child), but most other people send these too.

It depends how you define "faster". I think regular passport applications are taking just a few weeks, so if you're not in a big hurry it would be good to apply regular, not expedited service, you'll save money. Basically, from slower to faster your choices are, regular (two or three weeks), expedited (one or two weeks), go to passport office with proof of trip within the next two weeks (probably same day, or next day).

PS: There has been so little passport posts in this forum that it makes me think that people are getting passports really fast and without complications.

Good luck.

Hello Huracan!

Could you please share what is the process to get the US citizen certificate for son (10 year old - India born & has GC, living here) and what is the best way to get US Passport faster?

If anybody also share much appreciated! Thanks!