San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

:eek: Oh, my Gosh! This is completely news to all of us!

I'm just kidding ;) This is a pretty well known thing :(

Of course, things could be worse or better depending on a number of factors. For San Jose I would expect things to be worse than in other places.

Hi,
In the uscis website i saw a statement saying that N-400 applications filed after june 1 , 2007 will be done in 16-17 months time frame. Any one else know about this

punjabi14

PD :June 03 '07
ND :June 12 '07
FP : Aug 23rd - '07 (Done on actual date)
Interview waiting...

I sure hope not. 18 months is too long even before the fee increase.

Congratulations, punk!
I have a question about name change.
I did not request one on the application form. Can I still request one at the interview?

Hello ahsieh Thanks. I also read in this forum that SJ DO is not accepting name change through the N400 application. But we decided just to take a risk and try.

The most interesting part is, IO interviewing my wife submitted a printed page with my wife's corrected name on it. This might indicate there has been some kind of process done before the actual interview.

But there is no harm to ask during the interview if this is possible or not.

We still can not believe it, and hope the naturalization certificate will have the corrected name. Hence keeping our finger crossed and waiting for the oath letter.

Good luck for your interview.

Completed interview today (Dec 19)

I completed my interview this morning. Appointment was for 1020 am and I got there at about 1010 am.

In spite of having read the directions that Huracan and others had posted, I missed the 1887 Monterey building on the right side of the road, so had to make a couple of U-turns and come back. The sign for the building is rather obscure. The really prominent sign is one for Gold's Gym which is the adjacent building and the palm tree (that others have mentioned) at the entrance.

Again, in spite others having mentioned it in this forum, I forgot to leave my cell phone in the car and had to go back to do that. They don't allow any electronic equipment (cell phone, PDA, iPods, etc) into the building.

The interview room is on the 2nd floor. The waiting room there had about 10 people in it when I arrived and it has space to seat about 200 - so there is no rush at all. I was called in within a few minutes and was done by 1045 am.

Fairly straightforward interview. Nice officer. They ask you to write your name a few times in "real" cursive writing which I don't think I have done in years, so that took a few tries.

Questions were simple -
When is Independence Day?
Who is the governor of CA?
What is the Bill of Rights?
What is the capital of CA?
What ship did the Pilgrims come to America on?
What are the two major political parties in the US?

Application was approved and the officer (she) told me that if I don't get an oath letter in 3 months, I should do an infopass. They do multiple oath ceremonies every month, but only one big one a month in Campbell. She thought that there was still room for the January Campbell ceremony.

I had requested a name change (a simple one - to swap first and last names - as they had been wrongly swapped in my official documents when I first came to the US). The officer made me write out my name the way I wanted it and confirmed that the naturalization certificate would have the name the way I had requested. She did say, however, that they don't accept name change requests any more. I am not sure exactly what this means - but I conclude that they do not accept "legal" name change requests. If you are asking for something simple like what I did (i.e. asking for a name that you have used before), then they do it and all your new paperwork will have the new name, but it is not the same as having a legal name change in front of a judge.

Now the wait for the oath letter begins...

Hi Guys,

I got my wife's receipt in the mail ( RD 12/10/07 , PD 12/10/07, ND 12/14/07) but did not get my notice. Also the envelope had been opened -- I need to know:
1) Does the INS send the reciepts together in one envelope or in two seperate envelopes ? -- we had mailed the package with both our application in one envelope, however we had included two seperate checks for $675 for each of us.

2) I can see the cashed copy of the check and based on the number there which matches my wife's application number WSC*00209----, I can guess my WSC number also.

3) when I try to enter both the numbers in the case status online I get the following message:

Case Status Retrieval Failed
This Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.

Has anyone faced this before ? -- does the lost receipt notice really hamper further processing ? or has anyone received the receipt notices on two seperate days in the mail ? or has anyone received both the receipt notices in the same envelope ?

Please let me know....
thanks
tt tt

it'll be send to you in separate envelopes. Be patient to wait another couples of days to see what 'll be happen. Forgot to tell you that the case # may not be continous number between your number and your wife's number

Last edited by a moderator:
New Passport received (3 weeks by regular delivery)

I received my new passport in just about 3 weeks, by regular delivery (not expedited).
I believe passport and "Certificate of Naturalization" (received during oath & submitted along with passport application) will be mailed separately.

Regards
-aramamurthy
-----------------------------------------------------------
02/14/07: PD
04/03/07: FP
10/10/07: Interview
10/29/07: N-445 date
11/28/07: Oath
11/28/07: Applied for passport (regular delivery)
12/03/07: Passport fee check encashed
12/20/07: Passport received

PP received

We received our passports today. I asked for regular processing but they charged me $84+for PP and $30 Post Office fee. Now I realised that they charged me more for the overnight shipping (was wondering why I was charged more as I was expecting $55+) which I did not ask for.

We did NOT receive the Citizenship certificate along with the Passport. Are they going to send them later? We were asked to submit original with PP appl.

Interview letters received

We received our interview letters today.

Self:
PD: 5/15/07
FP: 8/01/07
ID: 2/08/08

Spouse:
PD: 5/07/07
FP: 7/23/07
ID: 2/05/08

Some hopeful news for May '07 PD folks.

PD May 29th '07.
FP done Aug 10th.
IN dated 12/17 received today for mid Feb '08.

Good luck.

==

Predict Interview Letter and Interview Date, Anyone?

Husband and I would love to make oversea travel arrangement for next year, around March, April, or maybe May(flexible depends on when we'll receive our interview date. We do; however, need to plan in advance so we can get good deal on the airfare and get time off). Can anyone predict Interview Date or maybe interview notice date? PD is June 25th, 2007 with San Jose DO.

Congratulation for those who received the IL!

My PD is May 8, and has not received my IL yet. IS there anyone whose PD is close to mine and has not received IL yet? Should I make a INFOPASS appointment? I'm bit worried...

Mailed: 5/4/07
PD: 5/8/07
FP: 7/25/07
IL: 00/00/00

thank you hahame

yes I too got my receipt notice.
RD 12/10 , PD 12/10 , ND 12/18 ( 12/14 for wife).
Is there no one who has submitted their N-400 after the June/July fee increase deadline ?
Want to know when I can expect the FP notice since I will be out of the country for 2 weeks in the 2nd week of Jan ?

thanks
tt tt

Interview scheduled

My interview got scheduled for Feb 8. San Jose may be slow and inefficient, but it sure as heck is predictable :)

Anyone know if they allow you take kids with you on the interview (especially if it is a one year old infant)?

My interview got scheduled for Feb 8. San Jose may be slow and inefficient, but it sure as heck is predictable :)

Anyone know if they allow you take kids with you on the interview (especially if it is a one year old infant)?

I have seen people taking infants with them to interview.