San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Thanks a lot

Hello,

I know this is not exactly N-400 information, but I think that in the same way we post some passport comments in this San Jose thread this information is also relevant for people in Santa Clara county. I registered to vote right after the ceremony on August 22nd, 2007 and received my voter registration card today. That's more than a month later, so USCIS doesn't have the monopoly of slowness around this area ;) On the other hand the registration date shown on the card is August 24th, and it says something about valid to vote on or after August 30th. Anyway, it's good that there hasn't been any election between August 30th and October 2nd ;) By the way, the santa clara county registrar of voters website doesn't have much info. For old timers still around, do you know if the card needs to be taken to the polling for voting, or is just an ID sufficient? I would assume that the polling site has a list of registered voters that can be checked against the ID and that the card is not needed. Anyway, for people who might be interested in knowing the card is a piece of thick paper, not as thick as a postard, but thicker than printer paper. It has some instructions/explanations on the back, printed in an old style font, like a document from the 1950s.

There are some contradictions in the card. At the back it says that is valid for elections 15 days later than the date shown on the front. However, on the front there are two dates, one date is the registration date and the other one says that the card is valid after such date, as mentioned a bit earlier in my message. The point is that the registration date is not 15 days earlier than the date it says I'm eligible to vote. Again, this seems a moot point because there hasn't been any election recently. I wonder what happens to people who want to participate in an important election and have to scratch their heads about being able or not to vote. Again, I would guess that the polling place is the ultimate authority to decide if one can or cannot vote, but what do I know?

PS: I would guess that if the car

You need to prefix WSC* to the number and then enough 0s to make a 13 digit number, like in WSC*001234567

Many thanks. The numbers are not really readable. Infact there are several number. I took those numbers, appended WAC to it and tried my luck on the online status page. They system couldn't find it.
The link was useful. I am hoping the receipt and fingerprinting notice will be forthcoming in the next week or so

They might have cashed your check but not done the data entry or whatever they need to get the case in the system. Again the frontlog ;) I am afraid that for now you'll just have to wait a bit more. I would be curious to see if when you get the receipt letter your WSC* number is any of the numbers you tried.

Got done with the interview

Got done with my interview on sep 26th. Very straightforward and simple. I guess the friendliness and respect we are given improves with every step of immigration. Citizenship is the culmination of the friendliness. Even the security guard was friendly! :)

I went in around 12:30 for 1 o clock interview. (One thing to remember is that you cant take in a cell phone. I had to walk back to my car). By the time I went past security checks and was seated in the waiting room, it was about 12:45. Was soon called in for the interview. Possibly even before 1.

Went in .. had a lot of general weather chat with the officer. Eventually she asked me about the standard questions such as have you been arrested etc, my trips to india since I applied etc. Remember to have the dates of the india trip. I had to fish around in my passport to get the dates. She was very patient through it all. So no worries.

Eventually she asked me to write my name in cursive and gave me a sheet of 10 questions and asked me to read them aloud and give the answer. Got all 10 right. Thats it.

She told me to wait for my oath letter in mail. (My wife was given an oath date of nov 28th .. her interview was oct 1st. So I guess I will also be on Nov 28th)

I was out of there by 1:15. A total of 1 hour and I was back at work. Very easy experience.

Good luck with yours.

Mayger,

From what it appears, USCIS gives atleast 15 days from issuing the oath letter to the actual oath date. Even I'm in a similar boat as you (interview on 8/15, then stuck in supervisor review since 8/26 ... FP, FBI check ok), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...but slowly loosing hope for an Oct oath for me.

I passed my interview on 8/7/07 and still haven't not received oath notice yet. My file was sent to interview officer's supervisor on 8/27/07. My finger print and FBI check are all fine. Does anyone know whether I am going to make it to Oct 24 oath or not?

Thanks

trishuls,

Congratulations on completing the interview, and thanks for the report.

... My wife was given an oath date of nov 28th .. her interview was oct 1st. ...

Did the interviewing officer inform your wife of her oath date at the interview? Did your wife receive an oath letter at that time, or was it an oral statement?

Hi folks,

I went over a few pages on this thread, collected data reported by users in the posts or signatures, and created a Google spreadsheet about the progress of N400 at SJC.

It would be nice if it could let me allow everyone to edit it, but it doesn't seem possible.
It seems like it is taking longer now from PD to ID.

Edit: I have ported the spreadsheet to EditGrid, which allows public editing:

http://www.editgrid.com/user/cistracking/N400_Tracking

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

I went over a few pages on this thread, collected data reported by users in the posts or signatures, and created a Google spreadsheet about the progress of N400 at SJC.

Nice work!! really helpful, I might be getting bit fancy, but how about some trending charts?

Hi folks,

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pHylVSxLhCLlEqjJcWscSVg&hl=en_US

It would be nice if it could let me allow everyone to edit it, but it doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for the compilation.

Add me to the list, there seems to be a hole for May 2007 PD :D

and how about adding the user name for each line, it'll be a good reference.

Good Work.

I'm assuming that rows 6,7 are my info

For rows 6,7 please add the following info
ND: 12/18/2006
FP Appt: 1/23/2007

For row #7
Oath letter: 8/22/2007

It will be nice if the user handles can be added, so it makes for easier updating.

Hi folks,

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pHylVSxLhCLlEqjJcWscSVg&hl=en_US

Posting my timeline.
Also, as a side note: Would like to thank everyone in this forum for some great inputs and tons of valuable information.

Hi folks,

I have ported the spreadsheet from Google to EditGrid, which allows public editing.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/cistracking/N400_Tracking

I have added back the usernames.
I masked them out in the first place because I thought someone might prefer not to show their usernames.
But now the spreadsheet is editable by anyone so please remove your name or data if you prefer.
I am new to this EditGrid service, but it does seem like we can revert to some specific edition if the thing is messed up and the feature-set responsiveness are much better than Google Docs.
Please update it as your case moves forward so that other people will have a better idea of when to expect their milestones.
If there are web programmers here and think you can provide a better collaboration web page, please port the data over.
Thanks!

Very nice forum and excel sheet

Both the forum and the excel sheet are very helpfull.
Since I have not received a receipt, I will not add to this list.
-Ours

Ahsieh, please take a backup of the sheet if you have not done already.
The information is too valuable to be lost accidentally due to multi user editing.

:D

I do have some backup copies and EditGrid has revision control, which allows rollbacking to old versions.
If you want you can export it to an .xls file and keep it for yourself.
But because there is no easy way to diff two versions, it is hard to determine which version we should revert back to when the thing is messed up.
Currently I export two versions to csv and diff them. It works but not very convenient and is not automatic at all.
The best solution for us is to have a web site that can ask whose information and what milestone date we want to change or add, and it will display it correctly and sorted. This way users do not need to mess around with the formatting.
I am not a web programmer so hopefully someone here is and can port the data over for us. :D