San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I just called customer service because I moved from Bayarea to Maryland and while talking to her, she said that they are in the process of scheduling my interview (of course it is not helpful to me as I am moving and thats only going to create more delays for me) but those who are around my PD can expect something soon I suppose.

PD 03/21
ND 03/31 (I think) as I lost the receipt notice.

They are scheduling interviews for end March PD's already? Haven't seen any posts beyond Feb 15 PD though.. Let's hope that they send the IL soon..

Usually if the case status disappears it means that they are issuing an interview letter. No, there is no detail information. The status online is pretty useless, except that in quite a few cases the case status disappearing means you're going to get an interview letter soon.

PS: My oath ceremony is tomorrow, and my status online still says:
Case Status Retrieval Failed

Good luck for your oath tomorrow. Know a few people going to the ceremony tomorrow.

What does case status disappear mean? Does it show something like "Case not found...", "Invalid number..." etc?

Thanks.

I just called customer service because I moved from Bayarea to Maryland and while talking to her, she said that they are in the process of scheduling my interview (of course it is not helpful to me as I am moving and thats only going to create more delays for me) but those who are around my PD can expect something soon I suppose.

PD 03/21

Can someone please post the number to call for customer service (and the procedure) to be able to talk to an service agent? How long is the typical wait?

Took the oath

Done!

Had my oath ceremony this morning in Campbell. It was nice, I actually enjoyed it. I just came back from the post office where I requested the expedited service (they said 2-3 weeks), the whole thing is goign to be really only only when I goign to get my US passport.

Good luck to you all

Done!

Had my oath ceremony this morning in Campbell. It was nice, I actually enjoyed it. I just came back from the post office where I requested the expedited service (they said 2-3 weeks), the whole thing is goign to be really only only when I goign to get my US passport.

Good luck to you all

Congratulations on completing the oath. :)

Oath experience

Here it goes. To sum it up, it was completely smooth and uneventful. Got there around 25 minutes ahead of time. Line was pretty short and got seats on the third or fourth row (didn't think of counting the rows until now). I saw someone in the line who had filled the back of the oath letter incorrectly, thinking that he had to write everything as in the N-400 (i.e. from the beginning of time) instead of just noting changes since the interview took place. The IO who did my interview was helping them straighten out that situation. They check your oath letter at the entrance of the building, and I think the Green Card too. Then you proceed inside the theater and there you give your oath letter and Green Card to the person who is assigning your seat. That's it. That's the moment you're kissing goodbye to your Green Card after all these years.

Anyway, they gave us a voter registration envelope and another big envelope with a few things stapled. This included a letter from the president, the lyrics for the star spangled banner, pledge of allegiance and the oath of allegiance. It also had instructions on how to sign the naturalization certificate (full name, same way as the signature on the picture). It had a little U.S. flag too (to wave it after the oath), and a booklet with the constitution and the declaration of independence and another one called the citizen's almanac.

There was a presentation by the registrar's of voters, with a video presentation on how to fill the form. I filled the form during the wait ahead of this. I did make a point of not signing it until after the oath, as I didn't want to have over my conscience that I claimed to be a citizen before being it, even for a few minutes, even if nobody cared ;) I guess after so many years of immigration journey one really gets conditioned for these things.

This was followed with explanations in Chinese, (Vietnamese?), and Spanish.

Then the actual naturalization ceremony started. First we sang the star spangled banner. There was some general talk about how they are trying to give good service, that they understand that the processes are sometimes long and cumbersome. I think at this time they called all the countries. I think they mentioned four hundred and something applicants from fifty something countries. Then the field office director Frank Siciliano proceeded to perform the oath ceremony, and voilá, we were citizens after that. Some more talk about other prominent immigrants and their successes, pledge of allegiance and a little after that they started giving out the certificates. Basically they go row by row in order, people stand up and line up to receive their certificate. There is a table outside in case there are errors on the certificate. There are also boxes outside to deposit the voter registration form. That's it. That and the guys outside selling the naturalization certificate protective folders. I even got a passport photo place ad on my driver's window when I got to my car.

I didn't have trouble parking. I decided to wait on the way out for the parking lot to clear. It was quite busy on the way out, but it was moving relatively well. I took it easy, took some pictures of the theater and then left.

There were some unknowns that I posted in another thread. I have a 3 part name in my birth certificate, one first name, two last names. I was pretty confident I was going to get the certificate on the short form (first name, only one last name), but people on other thread said that might not be the case and I might get the naturalization certificate the same way as the birth certificate. I can gladly say that the naturalization certificate came the same way I have the social security, driver's license and all other daily documents (first name and one last name). I was kind of expecting that but I was still a bit concerned about having to go through the extra trouble and expense of doing a legal name change.

Altogether the whole procedure lasted for about an hour. From the moment I arrived to the parking lot until the time I left it was perhaps about two hours. Time went by quickly.

Next steps are N-600 and passports. I will still be around for a while.

Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Done!

Good luck to you all

Congratulations! I also thought it was enjoyable. Some earlier posts seem to treat the ceremony in a negative way. I think it was good, and it wasn't long at all.

Congratulations Huracan! You have articulated your Oath ceremony very well. To my knowledge, you have lot of patience and urge to get through this entire journey successfully.

Congrats Huracan and Roger Cadoret on finally becoming citizens. Good luck with passports and N-600 (what is this form now?? -- is it mandatory?

Huracan, you have to stay on this list for a little longer time else who will be the next Oracle for this group? I am waiting for oath letters to come this week :)

Hi Sapro,

Thanks, yes, most people say I am a very patient person :)

Hi omorpheus,

Don't worry. N-600 is application to obtain a certificate of citizenship, this is for my child who just got citizenship today thanks to INA 320 (aka child citizenship act of 2000). It takes about 7 months or so in San Jose, so I am going to be around for a while. By the way, I think your oath letter will arrive tomorrow. Don't worry, if it doesn't arrive tomorrow I'll come back, edit my post and make it look like I had the right prediction ;)

Case Status Retrieval Failed???

PD 03/21

Hi tooOldtoWait,

My PD is just before yours. Wondering if my interview is in the process of scheduling too. Can you say if you are already getting "Case Status Retrieval Failed" from the online case status check?

Hello Everyone,

Had my oath yesterday, as RogerCoradet and others have pointed, it was short and sweet event putting an end to this journey where I met so many good people here on the forum.

I would like to wish everyone else and a happy journey to your citizenship. Patience is the key word. For some folks it is sooner than others. Just loose hope.

Thanks

PD: 11/08/06
FP: 11/28/06
Int: 06/26/07
Oath: 08/22/07

Hello Everyone,

Had my oath yesterday, as RogerCoradet and others have pointed, it was short and sweet event putting an end to this journey where I met so many good people here on the forum.

I would like to wish everyone else and a happy journey to your citizenship. Patience is the key word. For some folks it is sooner than others. Just loose hope.

Congrats Raj. I think by last line you meant "Just don't loose hope" :D

Huracan, now after becoming citizen, you sound more like them by saying that you will change your prediction :cool: . Comeon man trust yourself. Looks like you got brainwashed in the oath ceremony :confused:

Hi tooOldtoWait,

My PD is just before yours. Wondering if my interview is in the process of scheduling too. Can you say if you are already getting "Case Status Retrieval Failed" from the online case status check?

Hi Annie-SanJose,

Your PD is 2 days before mine. My case status shows something like Case rcvd & processing. Haven't seen any March PD's with IL's yet. Is your status showing "Case retrieval failed..."?

Thanks.

Hi folks,
I too took Oath yesterday, in the morning. Ceremony started at 10:05, I was in my car as a US citizen at 11:07. It lasted just for an hour.

Very well organized.

The take away from that ceremony mainly was that America is welcoming all of us/new citizens with open arms. It felt nice to hear that over and over from others like George W Bush (thru video) & officers.

BTW they gave a booklet that had information on distinguished naturalized citizens. I noted that it took Alexander Graham Bell 10 years to be a citizen :) He entered US in the year X and was naturalized at X+10!! So he was treated just like all of us!!!

Thanks to everyone of you for encouragement on the road. And I hope others who have just applied will be happy reading all these posts to know that there is definitely light at the end of the long long tunnel.

Huracan: thanks for keeping this forum alive back in Jan/Feb/Mar when all of us were in the depressingly long wait for our letters. Your patience rubbed off many of us :)

BTW case status online for me & my spouse still says "Received & Pending"!! I took oath yesterday & applied for passport.

Hi folks,
I too took Oath yesterday, in the morning. Ceremony started at 10:05, I was in my car as a US citizen at 11:07. It lasted just for an hour.

Very well organized.

The take away from that ceremony mainly was that America is welcoming all of us/new citizens with open arms. It felt nice to hear that over and over from others like George W Bush (thru video) & officers.

BTW they gave a booklet that had information on distinguished naturalized citizens. I noted that it took Alexander Graham Bell 10 years to be a citizen :) He entered US in the year X and was naturalized at X+10!! So he was treated just like all of us!!!

Thanks to everyone of you for encouragement on the road. And I hope others who have just applied will be happy reading all these posts to know that there is definitely light at the end of the long long tunnel.

Huracan: thanks for keeping this forum alive back in Jan/Feb/Mar when all of us were in the depressingly long wait for our letters. Your patience rubbed off many of us :)

Congrats to everyone completing the oath yesterday.

Huracan, now after becoming citizen, you sound more like them by saying that you will change your prediction :cool: . Comeon man trust yourself. Looks like you got brainwashed in the oath ceremony :confused:

Ok, Ok, I was joking. The prediction stands. Oath letters today :)