San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I was in the same boat. I tried bunch of times with san jose ASC. They were crazy. Don't even want to listen if i have valid reason. I went to Oakland ASC and got it done.

This was bound to happen as everyone was unnecessarily taking advantage of their (San Jose ASC) leniency even though getting FP done a week or two earlier wasn't going to help them in getting naturalization done any earlier. But this has screwed up those who have a genuine reason to get the FP done a day or two earlier. Earlier, one could easily walk in for early FP, but now the gates for that apparently seem to be closed.

An acquaintance of mine had to resort to the official procedure to get FP postponed because of this. As her only brother's wedding coincided with her FP date, there was no way she could've kept that date.

This was bound to happen as everyone was unnecessarily taking advantage of their (San Jose ASC) leniency even though getting FP done a week or two earlier wasn't going to help them in getting naturalization done any earlier. But this has screwed up those who have a genuine reason to get the FP done a day or two earlier. Earlier, one could easily walk in for early FP, but now the gates for that apparently seem to be closed.

Nobody was forcing ASC to accept early walkins. They always had choice to say yes or no. Everybody who went there for early walkins were only requesting. I hate to think mine was rejected because somebody else misused it. Mine was rejected because ASC didn't give a damn about me or my situation.

Finger print done Aug 11th

We did our finger print 1pm last Saturday as scheduled. We tried to walkin twice, once on a Tue morning, once on Saturday afternoon, since we had a backpacking trip scheduled last Sat. They denied us both times, forced us to cancel our trip.

We tried to get in around 1215pm, since our errand finished earlier. But the person told us to come back at 1245pm the earliest, even though there is nobody inside. IMO, they are just not very friendly people. I hope I don't have to deal with them again.

How long for the oath notice?

My interview was successfully finished on August 1st. How long does the oath ceremony notice take to come usually (the interviewing officer said I would be scheduled into an oath ceremony in the 3rd week of September).

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose

Notice date- 12/26/2006
FP date - 1/31/2007
FP done (walk-in)- 1/17/2007
Interview date - 8/1/2007
Oath notice - ??/??/????

My interview was successfully finished on August 1st. How long does the oath ceremony notice take to come usually (the interviewing officer said I would be scheduled into an oath ceremony in the 3rd week of September).

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose

Notice date- 12/26/2006
FP date - 1/31/2007
FP done (walk-in)- 1/17/2007
Interview date - 8/1/2007
Oath notice - ??/??/????

You are in same boat as me and loveduser. As Huracan (who is now the official predictor :D and his predictions always come true :cool: ) said, we should hopefully see oath letters next week. You keep us posted and we will do the same.

Hi omorpheus,

I am pretty sure you'll get your letter next week. That's my prediction :)

Probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Passport Application - DS 11

Hello Experienced folks,

In the DS 11 form for US passport application, what should I fill in the Alien Registration Number field? Is it the Alien Number which we got from USICS?

You advise is appreciated.

Thanks
Raj4jazz

Hi omorpheus,

Thanks for your great archival research job. I really appreciate the compilation of oath experiences, very informative. :)

I invite you to check an interesting graph at the ombudsman 2007 report:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/CISOMB_Annual_Report_2007.pdf
Go to page 20 of the report, page 38 in the pdf. San Jose and Fresno are the two worst offices (processing timewise) in California, and they are clearly in the bottom half of the processing bin. Worst office in the country, let's get a drumroll please ...

... is New Orleans. Perhaps it has to do with the hurricane, or should I say with "El Huracan".

My 2 cents.

Question for Zen0
He had posted about using the "will call" option for passport. Did he really get the passport back in 3 business days?
Just wondering...

why such a long delay for interview in SJC?

Has anyone cleared both FP and name check? I am at a loss as to why SJC takes so long to schedule interviews. A couple of my friends living in Fremont had their N-400 processing completed in 4 months. Does this mean SJC just sits on applications for 6 months after FP and name check is cleared?

At the last info pass, I was told that my app. has cleared both FP and namecheck.

:confused:

Thanks
-montage9

pd date 5/14/7
fp date 7/7/7

The answer to your last question is yes. For most people FP and name check is cleared quickly. It is my belief that the whole delay is due to too many applicants and too little capacity. Fremont goes to San Francisco which is more than twice faster than San Jose. I would think that by now they should have done something to improve the situation, but it doesn't seem it is improving.

My 2 cents.

i came across a newspaper article a few days ago at a Chinese restaurant (the article is Chinese) that the new S.F director is trying to get(or maybe already got, my chinese is a little bit rusty now) 8 more people working on I-485 and N-400 application and this applies to both SFO and SJC offices as SJC is still under SFO jurisdiction. I don't remember reading anything like this in major newspaper. Anyone else???

Passed interview on 8/1, and was told I should get oath letter in three weeks. Nothing yet. Why cannot San Jose office give us the oath letter right after the interview like other district offices?

That's a good point. They should give you the letter on the spot. They probably do it to process paperwork in batches.

I think you're going to get your letter next week.