San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Congrats All. Another member on this board was kind enough to let me know that application for citizenship can be submitted 90 days prior to 5 yr anniversary.

Did some of you do that? My real question is whether USCIS holds on to the app till your 5 yr anniversary date and then processes the application or do they take care of it as soon as they receive the application form.

Help much appreciated

USCIS will process your application without delay, so long as you don't "mail" the application more than "90 days" (not 3 months) in advance.

It is not clear if they will approve a case before the completion of 5 yrs of permanent residency. The only DO that I've "heard" to finish the entire processing in less than 3 mo is the Sacramento DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which timelines to follow ?

Mailing Address - Santa Clara, CA (Santa Clara county)
Home Address - Fremont, CA (Alameda county)
Should I track San Jose, San Francisco or Oakland timelines ???

Mailing Address - Santa Clara, CA (Santa Clara county)
Home Address - Fremont, CA (Alameda county)
Should I track San Jose, San Francisco or Oakland timelines ???

My guess is you are with the San Francisco/Oakland DO.

Wait for about a month from the time you mailed the N-400. If you get your FP notice in about a month, you are with SF/O. Otherwise, you are with SJ. :)

Congrats siliconhybrid on your FP!
My priority date is May 9th and I am still waiting for my FP notice. Anyone else with a May priority date who has received their FP notice so far?
I am wondering if this is an appropriate situation to take an infopass for, or if I should wait a couple of more days.

My difficulty is that I have to leave for India at the end of July and would obviously like to have my FP done ahead of that.

TIA for any advice!

My priority date is May 9th and I am still waiting for my FP notice. Anyone else with a May priority date who has received their FP notice so far?
I am wondering if this is an appropriate situation to take an infopass for, or if I should wait a couple of more days.

My difficulty is that I have to leave for India at the end of July and would obviously like to have my FP done ahead of that.

TIA for any advice!

You should wait for at least a week more. I know people with earlier PD than you, who haven't received their FP as well.

Also, FP letter is issued about 4 weeks before the appointment. I'm afraid it may be scheduled for a date during your India trip. But walk-in FP seems do-able at SJ.

TIA for any advice!

I agree with Amicus, if I were you I would wait for another week or so. Walk-in FP seems quite painless from my experience. For you, if you have a proof of flight plan, I'm sure you can do walk-in FP. end of july is still 4 weeks away, I am not a psychic ^_^ but I predict you will receive your FP notice this coming week, and for fun, I say this Thursday 5 July. Let me know how it goes.

My question is, when do you leave and how long are you going to be away?
My FP notice date is 18 June, I received in the mail June 21, the appt is 13 July. So there is a 23 day gap between mail receive to the actual appt time.
If your travel is less than 3 week, you should be fine.

my 2cents

My guess is you are with the San Francisco/Oakland DO.

Wait for about a month from the time you mailed the N-400. If you get your FP notice in about a month, you are with SF/O. Otherwise, you are with SJ. :)

And if you get the SF/O district, consider yourself reeaaaalllly lucky, because it takes 9 months for SJ DO, and only 3-5 months for SF/O DO to complete the naturalization process.
:D

How many IO's @SJ DO?

Folks who have had their interviews at SJ,

Any idea how many IO's are at SJ DO for N-400 adjudication? So, far I've heard of 2 IO's; a lady and a friendly guy (whose son is a member of IEEE). ;)

SF DO seems to have 6 IO's (or rather at least 6 offices for interviewing).

Would that explain for the difference in processing times?

If every IO interviewed applicants for a total of 5 hrs every day(assuming an 8 hr day) and spent on average 30min with each applicant, then each IO would be clearing 10 applicants every day. Assuming 20 days of interviews per month (since they might also be doing other tasks), this implies each IO clears about 200 applicants a month.

However, SJ seems to schedule 500 new citizens for oath every month. So, is there a 3rd IO at SJ?

Very interesting therory..
Can somebody shed some light on how many applications are recieved per month by San Jose DO ? :eek:

SJ DO Update

My Update:

DO : San Jose
01/10/07: N-400 Mailed to CSC
01/18/07: Application arrived at USCIS, as per USPS
01/22/07: Cheque got cashed
01/31/07: Received Recipt, Notice date 01/19/2007
02/05/07: Received FP Notice
02/20/07: FP Appointment
06/25/07: Interview Notice Date
08/28/07: Interview Date
??? : Oath

Also, it seems all FP notices for SJ are being issued on Mondays (at least those which have been issued since Apr'07). Other DO's seem to have FP notices issued on any day of the week.

So, my guess is some one from SJ logs into the CSC computers on Mondays and schedules (say 100) FP appointments for the week that starts after 3 weeks (21 days).

If you are expecting FP notice, it will then probably only show up in your mailbox in the latter part of the week.

And if this theory holds and the pipeline works smoothly at the rate it does today, you should expect an interview date that is roughly 6 mo from the date of FP appointment. (It could be even less than that if the delay in FP is induced by an excess of I-485 applications, who also do FP at SJ.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone got oath letter for July or August? This is for folks who have interviewed in the week of 20th June.

Amicus, while we were in the waiting room we saw 3 ios, 2 male and 1 female and both of us got interviewed by a member of the opposite sex. And this count would also match the number of people getting sworn in based on your calculation.
However in the waiting area we saw a small kid get his nat certf. Also at the oath there was a small table in the lobby where we saw a lady in a wheelchair and her companion, a young male get their nat certf after taking oaths. So there is no way to be certain how many n400/n600 cases are processed in a month.
Of those 3 ios, 2 were also assisting at the oath ceremony next month so I guess that day fewer interviews were conducted.

Amicus, while we were in the waiting room we saw 3 ios, 2 male and 1 female and both of us got interviewed by a member of the opposite sex. And this count would also match the number of people getting sworn in based on your calculation.
However in the waiting area we saw a small kid get his nat certf. Also at the oath there was a small table in the lobby where we saw a lady in a wheelchair and her companion, a young male get their nat certf after taking oaths. So there is no way to be certain how many n400/n600 cases are processed in a month.
Of those 3 ios, 2 were also assisting at the oath ceremony next month so I guess that day fewer interviews were conducted.

Thanks very much, aabbcc11 for the information. I had totally missed out on N-600; but hopefully they are relatively fewer in number than N-400.

I remember that some time late last year or early this year many interviews got re-scheduled. I wonder if that was because the number of IO's for N-400/600 got reduced. Were there more IO's a few months before (Feb'07)?

I'm hoping that when the new fiscal yr starts in Oct'07, they'll increase the number of IO's, given that it's going to be an election year.

My wife received her oath letter on 28th June for July 18th oath. She had her interview on 19th.

Can you please share what have you been instructed to bring to the interview, there seems to be a list of 6 things out which i think only 2 are applicable to me.

Got my FP Notice.

Congrats james400 and thanks for the update. Looks like your notice was issued on a Tuesday, so they don't always issue them on a Monday. Probably they issue it once a week, early in the week.

Interestingly enough, comparing your dates with silicon_hybrid, they moved 3 (working) days of PD for 1 week of FP appointment.

FBI phone number to check the name check progress

Hi, I have an infopass today and got notified that my case is name check pending. I filed my case 01/03/2007. Anyone know the phone number of FBI to check the progress of the name check?

Thanks.

**mail sent: 01/03/2007
**notice date: 01/23/2007
**Fp date: 02/06/2007
**Infopass(1): 07/03/2007 --name check pending
**interview: ?
**oath: ?

Sorry to hear that :( I don't think there is a number to verify the status of name check. I think there is one for finger prints, but that's a different issue. Hopefully your name check gets cleared soon. Contact your senator/congressman and let them know the problem many face with name check delays. I think they cannot do much, but hopefully they can push for appropriations of money to fund a more streamlined name check, or to do away with it.