San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Attended oath on June 13th at the Heritage Theatre.

June 14th applied for Passport at the San Francisco PP agency with proof of travel w/in 14 days (airline ticket)

June 15th - received passport

San Francisco entertains walk-ins applicants as long as the applicant produces proof of impending travel w/in the next 14 days.

I don't think an itinerary or a booking will help. In my case the officer verified the airline ticket.

Good luck to everyone!

FYI, Bay area residents,

SF CIG is holding a visa camp at the ICC Milpitas on 16th June, sat and providing a bunch of allied services. This could save a trip to SF or waiting for delivery of visas' my mail etc.

visit http://www.cgisf.org for details

FYI, Bay area residents,

SF CIG is holding a visa camp at the ICC Milpitas on 16th June, sat and providing a bunch of allied services. This could save a trip to SF or waiting for delivery of visas' my mail etc.

visit http://www.cgisf.org for details

Anyone with Mail date around May 2007 got their FP notice?
It has been 1 month + 18 days since mail date, no sign of FP notice for me.

Man.. CSC is extremely slow now, it used to take 1 month for FP date, now 1.5 months still no FP notice.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
05/01/2007 : Mailed N-400 to CSC.
05/02/2007 : CSC received N-400
05/10/2007 : Check Cashed
05/01/2007 : Priority Date
05/21/2007 : Notice Date (received in the mail 05/24/07)

??/??/???? : FP Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath

Anyone with Mail date around May 2007 got their FP notice?
It has been 1 month + 18 days since mail date, no sign of FP notice for me.

Man.. CSC is extremely slow now, it used to take 1 month for FP date, now 1.5 months still no FP notice.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
05/01/2007 : Mailed N-400 to CSC.
05/02/2007 : CSC received N-400
05/10/2007 : Check Cashed
05/01/2007 : Priority Date
05/21/2007 : Notice Date (received in the mail 05/24/07)

??/??/???? : FP Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Date
??/??/???? : Oath

It's not a CSC issue; this is specific to San Jose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath -- 13th June

Applied for passport -- 14th June (SF PP agency)

Received Passport -- 15th June (I had a valid/paid airline ticket for travel w/ in 14 days. I also told the officer that I need to apply for a visa)

Applied and recieved India visa -- 16th June (This was a Sat and luckily for me, a visa camp was organized at the India Community Center in Milpitas)

Note: You can go to SF PP agency and apply for a PP as a walk-in, if you can produce proof of immediate travel plans - e.g a travel ticket.

It's not a CSC issue; this is specific to San Jose.

No, finger print scheduling is done by CSC not the San Jose district office. Once finger printing is done and background check is completed, then it depends on the district office's bandwidth to support interview schedules. That is where San Jose is bad. But certainly not for finger print scheduling.

No, finger print scheduling is done by CSC not the San Jose district office. Once finger printing is done and background check is completed, then it depends on the district office's bandwidth to support interview schedules. That is where San Jose is bad. But certainly not for finger print scheduling.

FP scheduling is done by CSC, but it depends on the availability of appointment at the local ASC. Previously, it used to take a month from PD to get FP notice; now it almost seems like 2mo and the appointment dates are also further down. Other DO's (like SFO, Oakland) don't have this issue.

Looks like more people in SJ are applying now than before, ceteris paribus.

I think everything has to do with the validity of the fingerprints. If my memory serves me well it is one year. With current delays I think they are erring on the side of caution and scheduling the fingerprint later which is more meaningful from the point of view of security, relevance, and validity. On the other hand this is not good as it probably indicates that there is going to be increasing processing times for a while.

PS: Probably people remember that a few years ago when I-485 was processed very slowly, many people had to do fingerprints again. I think they are trying to avoid this extra expense/delay.

My 2 cents.

I think everything has to do with the validity of the fingerprints. If my memory serves me well it is one year. With current delays I think they are erring on the side of caution and scheduling the fingerprint later which is more meaningful from the point of view of security, relevance, and validity. On the other hand this is not good as it probably indicates that there is going to be increasing processing times for a while.

PS: Probably people remember that a few years ago when I-485 was processed very slowly, many people had to do fingerprints again. I think they are trying to avoid this extra expense/delay.

My 2 cents.

FP are valid for 18mo; but it's unlikely to be a concern since naturalizations are being wrapped in SJ within about 9mo as of today.

The only possibilities are ...
1. increased applications (for naturalization and/or permanent residency)
2. decreased capacity (lesser staff, breakdown of FP machine, etc)

The FP delays seem to have started for applicants of Mar'07. The possibility of fee increases were announced in Feb'07. Probably fence-sitters (people who were unsure about applying or just plain lazy) decided to take the plunge.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way one can verify if the FP check went through fine? If so, how?
2. What's "Infopass 1"?

TIA

Two questions:

1. Is there a way one can verify if the FP check went through fine? If so, how?
2. What's "Infopass 1"?

TIA

Interview N652 - We can not decide

Hi Guys,

Here is my timeline. Was very good till the above happened.

RD 10/02/06
PD 10/02/06
FP 10/24/06
IV 05/22/07

I had been extra cautious to click the check box for arrests/citations for my traffic tickets - the officer asked me if i had been drinking and driving etc etc - i said that there are two parking tickets and one citation for fused head lamp(was not sure of this one) and i have the evidence of payment - he made me correct the checkbox to a 'No' and sign next to it. Said he needs to get some checks done and it takes 2 months.

I think i should not have clicked the checkbox it is only needed if the offense is serious and penalty is more than 500 - dunno what is a sure way of knowing - telling every little thing looked like a better thing to do

Also i had resigned from my job couple of months before filing to be with my parents and to investigate doing something on my own. My dad underwent a heart bypass - dunno if that contributed to him delaying my app - from where i stand i want to be with my parents every oppurtunity i get - we only live once - he did not say anything about these issues.

Two questions :
1/ What could they be concerned about ?.
2/ I need to travel to be with family again. Is there any restrictions, while one is waiting for oath.

Your inputs are appriciated, requested and my only source for the moment.

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Here is my timeline. Was very good till the above happened.

RD 10/02/06
PD 10/02/06
FP 10/24/06
IV 05/22/07

I had been extra cautious to click the check box for arrests/citations for my traffic tickets - the officer asked me if i had been drinking and driving etc etc - i said that there are two parking tickets and one citation for fused head lamp(was not sure of this one) and i have the evidence of payment - he made me correct the checkbox to a 'No' and sign next to it. Said he needs to get some checks done and it takes 2 months.

I think i should not have clicked the checkbox it is only needed if the offense is serious and penalty is more than 500 - dunno what is a sure way of knowing - telling every little thing looked like a better thing to do

Also i had resigned from my job couple of months before filing to be with my parents and to investigate doing something on my own. My dad underwent a heart bypass - dunno if that contributed to him delaying my app - from where i stand i want to be with my parents every oppurtunity i get - we only live once - he did not say anything about these issues.

Two questions :
1/ What could they be concerned about ?.
2/ I need to travel to be with family again. Is there any restrictions, while one is waiting for oath.

Your inputs are appriciated, requested and my only source for the moment.

Cheers!

tiad...

1. Have you been un-employed since the Aug'06?
2. Was your GC employment based? When did you get it?
3. Anything else that may be peculiar to your case?

FP scheduling is done by CSC, but it depends on the availability of appointment at the local ASC.

So? As you may already know, ASC is very different from District Office. And usually, the ASC are not crowded at all. So, what is your point?

My 2 cents.

I think you are spot on Huracan.

So? As you may already know, ASC is very different from District Office. And usually, the ASC are not crowded at all. So, what is your point?

Read my posts again; I never said this is an issue with SJ "district office". This is an issue with (San Jose) ASC.

CSC will only schedule when it finds available slots at San Jose ASC. If CSC was not having enough resources to schedule FP, it would affect all ASC's under CSC and not just the one at San Jose.

Well, a quick search seems to indicate fingerprint validity of 15 months, so neither Amicus nor I were right. The truth lied in the middle. Anyway, that San Jose takes 9 months nowadays doesn't mean that they can be defensively scheduling fingerprints later because of the longer processing time in San Jose. This way the fingerprint results are closer to the interview date, and for people stuck in name check could mean the difference between having to redo fingerprints or not, depending on how long does the name check take.

However, it could still be an imbalance between processing capacity and load as you mention, but fingerprint ASC is usually not very loaded.

tiad...

1. Have you been un-employed since the Aug'06?
2. Was your GC employment based? When did you get it?
3. Anything else that may be peculiar to your case?

1/ Have you been un-employed since the Aug' 06?
Not in a regular job. I am working on a idea but i am not incorporated yet.

2/ Was your GC employment based? When did you get it?
Yes it was employment based, in Dec 01, with the same employer who i quit in August 06.

3/ Anything else that may be peculiar to your case?
Not that i can think of, same place of residence even.

Yes i did travel 3 times to India in 05-06-07 for 1.5 months 3 months and then 3.5 months (last was after filing my papers) mostly because of my Dads health and being with family - am i breaking the rules/law in anyway ? - he did not ask about/mention it at all - when i asked for the reason for the indecision - all the officer said was you clicked[said yes to] the wrong box on your arrest/citation question because of the traffic ticket thing and we need to get it verified and it will take us 2 months.

In a nutshell same employer same residence for almost 6 years.

Am i being overly concerned ?. If there was anything else i would assume he would have asked/told me.

Well, a quick search seems to indicate fingerprint validity of 15 months, so neither Amicus nor I were right. The truth lied in the middle.

I stand corrected.

Anyway, that San Jose takes 9 months nowadays doesn't mean that they can be defensively scheduling fingerprints later because of the longer processing time in San Jose. This way the fingerprint results are closer to the interview date, and for people stuck in name check could mean the difference between having to redo fingerprints or not, depending on how long does the name check take.

Yes; but there is no reason for anyone to bless only the residents of San Jose with this kindness.

Last edited by a moderator: