San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

It was all right, I heard that an officer had taken the day off or something, so the interview was done in a rushed manner but there were a lot of questions asked, most unique for someone with a conviction, some that I haven't read in this forum ...

* Why did I leave the company that sponsored my GC?
* Why was there a few days gap in the addresses of where I lived? (Employer had put me at a hotel but I was asked to give the address of the hotel)
* Any conviction anywhere in the world? I answered "no" misunderstanding it as anywhere else in the world.

At the end I was given form N-652 which had the congratulations checked.
The officer did not have any information on when, where or how long it might take for the oath.
It was in such a rushed manner and I was in such a tensed state with the way it went I didn't ask if the all background checks have been cleared or not.
Anyway, just have to wait for 30 days and if nothing, setup an infopass appt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Premo - why did they call you at Sacramento & not SJ?

Did you get a chance to ask? Is it load balancing or some other reason?
thanks. & Congratulations.

ca_an, thank you, your dates are also about the same time as mine, hope you get your interview letter soon.

sammysam, my attorney said that he confirmed from several other attorneys that San Jose was trying to reduce interview backlog.

My Update:

DO : San Jose
01/10/07: N-400 Mailed to CSC
01/18/07: Application arrived at USCIS, as per USPS
01/22/07: Cheque got cashed
01/31/07: Received Recipt, Notice date 01/19/2007
02/05/07: Received FP Notice
02/20/07: FP Appointment
??? : IVL
??? : IV
??? : Oath

Hi Premo,

Congratulations on passing the interview. Sorry that it was a rushed interview. I understand that you didn't find the time not the opportunity to ask for extra information about why your interview was sent to Sacramento and things like that. Anyway, what matters is that you got your interview passed.

Our interview was done on 1/25 in San Jose. While my spouse got his oath appointment (for 2/21) letter in a week, I haven't received my oath letter yet. Is it a cause of concern? How long does it take to get oath letter in San Jose? Whom can we contact if I dont get my oath letter (missing/lost in mail etc)?

Thanks,
rkbk

Hey there rkbk....I heard from another person here at the forums that the 2/21 oath date is full. It could be that your spouse got one of the last remaining seats.

Anyway, if that is the case, that could be why you don't have your oath letter yet. USCIS might be waiting till it gets closer to the next oath date before sending out your letter to you.

It's just a thought....but if you don't receive anything by the end of this week...you might want to get an InfoPass and enquire just to give yourself peace of mind. If 2/21 is full, there is another oath on 3/7. Maybe you can get them to get you into the 3/7 one which is much earlier than the 3/21 oath at Heritage Theatre.

I'm sure everything is alright. Hope you get your oath letter soon. :)

I got an infopass appt

My status online didn't change at all and so I met an officer who was very sweet and told me that the FBI check and FP check cleared. My files were received at SJ from CSC on Jan 19th. He also told me that the Feb oath ceremony looks full and I might only get into the March ceremony.

All in all, i am looking forward to finishing my interview on Valentine's day...

:)

oath date in March?

Hi happigal
I checked the Heritage Theatre schedule but don't see the 3/7 oath ceremony, I only see the one on 3/21. Can you tell me where you learn about the 3/7 oath? Many thanks!
ccc
happigal said:
It's just a thought....but if you don't receive anything by the end of this week...you might want to get an InfoPass and enquire just to give yourself peace of mind. If 2/21 is full, there is another oath on 3/7. Maybe you can get them to get you into the 3/7 one which is much earlier than the 3/21 oath at Heritage Theatre.

I'm sure everything is alright. Hope you get your oath letter soon. :)

This is my first Post. Thanks for the members who posted their experience. Four days before, I reviewed the details that helped me a lot. I wanted to share my experience which may help others.

Here is my experience with San Jose USCIS. Plenty of parking is available at the back side of the building. Cell phones are not allowed inside the building, leave at the car, otherwise security will not allow you inside. He returned people to go back and put the phone at car! The interview is in 2nd floor and not in first floor. After the security check, go to the second floor 219 window 1. You will see Citizenship window (Other one is for appointments). Drop your interview letter at the window. My interview was 10 AM Morning, and I reached there by 9:20 AM. Hmmm, I have to wait for a long time, 1 hour to finish. The lady, who called me, was talking at a low voice. I find it very hard even though I spent 10 years in USA! The interview was very casual, and normal. She asked to raise my hand (like taking oath in court) and say that I speak truth. She asked my Passport, Greencard and Driver License. She has also asked me to show my Social Security, which fortunately I had. You will know the reason at the end why she asked my Social security card. She was going through my application one by one. She asked my sons age, marriage date, whether I was arrested, DUI, any association with terrorist group etc regular checks. My records were clean and clear. She was expecting answers from us while going through the file. I had reviewed my file (I had a copy at home) beforehand. Be careful, at some points, you should say many NOs, and later you should say YESes. Initial questions are like ‘DUI, Arrest, terrorist org associations” etc. At the end, questions are like “Do you like to serve Army if required” etc.

The civic questions are from the book they supplied during Finger print. During the discussion, she printed a question paper. I could answer all 10 questions.

1. What the highest court in USA
2. Who is the Head of city government
3. Who is called “Father of nation”
4. What do we celebrate on Fourth of July
5. Who wrote “Star Spangled Banner”
6. What is the capital of your state
7. How may senators in congress
8. How many stars in US Flag
9. Who becomes president if President dies
I do not remember the 10th question now.

She asked me to write my name, I wrote in capital letter, and then asked me to write my name like signature and I did. Again she asked me write name is cursive writing to see clearly, as my hand writing was poor. She was satisfied with my cursive writing and asked me to write my first name, last name in cursive in my two photos which she had in her file.

She asked me whether there was change in my name. I could not remember top of my mind, little guessed and told that there was one issue 10 years before in my socials security card. IRS sent me letter to correct my name and I did. She accepted that they had a middle name for me which was removed. It shows that they review complete records.

Finally, she said that she approved my citizenship and asked me to verify the name, DOB and other records which will be used for passport. Once I said everything correct, she asked me to initial the document. There were 35 people when I went and I was the last one to come out. The hall was empty when I came out of interview.

Date of Application Aug 8, 2006
FP: Oct 2006
Interview, Feb 7, 2007

documents for oath

My wife received an oath letter. However, it's been opened and there is only 1 N-445 inside. We are wondering that should it be only 1 form inside?

What kind of documents should bring for oath? From the letter,they check evrey thing. We don't know what is "Reentry Permit", and "Any Immigration documents you may have" ?

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
District Office - San Jose
Mailed application - 07/17/06 by certified mail
Received Date - 07/21/06
Check cashed - 07/26/06
FP Notice- 8/5/06
FP Date - 8/25/06
Interview Notice- ???
Interview Date-???
Oath letter-???
Oath-???

Spouse
Mailed application - 07/17/06 by certified mail
Received Date - 07/21/06
Check cashed - 8/3/06
FP Notice- 8/14/06
FP Date - 8/30/06
Interview Notice- 11/30/06
Interview Date-1/25/07
Oath letter-2/7/2007
Oath-2/21/2007

CLEL said:
My wife received an oath letter. However, it's been opened and there is only 1 N-445 inside. We are wondering that should it be only 1 form inside?

What kind of documents should bring for oath? From the letter,they check evrey thing. We don't know what is "Reentry Permit", and "Any Immigration documents you may have" ?
All you need is the oath invitation letter and your green card. Though not required, if I were you, I would also take the current passport.

ccc_mps said:
Hi happigal
I checked the Heritage Theatre schedule but don't see the 3/7 oath ceremony, I only see the one on 3/21. Can you tell me where you learn about the 3/7 oath? Many thanks!
ccc

Sometimes, USCIS holds oath ceremonies at the local DO. This is probably on a much smaller scale.

I learnt about the March 7th date from another poster on this forum. She had asked the IO about when the next earliest oath date is and IO mentioned March 7th since the February 21st date is full.

Waiting for interview letter

I took infopass appt with USCIS in San Jose today and met an officer. She said that your is pending with Laguna Niguel office since you filed it there. It might take 2/3 months more. What exactly does this mean? I have finished my finger printing on Oct 18, 2006 and still have not got the interview letter.

thanks

happigal said:
Sometimes, USCIS holds oath ceremonies at the local DO. This is probably on a much smaller scale.

I learnt about the March 7th date from another poster on this forum. She had asked the IO about when the next earliest oath date is and IO mentioned March 7th since the February 21st date is full.
Thanks happigal, I appreciate it.

when was the interview?

happigal said:

hi happigal, do you know when was her interview date? Thanks!

bestluck said:
I took infopass appt with USCIS in San Jose today and met an officer. She said that your is pending with Laguna Niguel office since you filed it there. It might take 2/3 months more. What exactly does this mean? I have finished my finger printing on Oct 18, 2006 and still have not got the interview letter.

Patience my friend, patience. I think your number is not up yet. It looks that the bulk of people getting interviews now is around September, it might take a number of weeks more (probably that 2/3 months estimate is completely right) to get to October. Don't read much into what you were told, it probably means that your case hasn't been transferred to the local office for interview. If you're not happy about USCIS service feel free to let it know to your congressman/senator, or the USCIS ombudsman :)

Well, I take it back a little bit, as I read your post in a rush and took your FP date for your PD. Anyway, yes, people with September PD are getting interview letters, hang in there, this is a bit more of a bell curve than anything. If you make another infopass make sure to ask them specifically if your name check has cleared. Other than that the patience advise is still valid, naturalization is not an exact science ;)

My 2 cents.