San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

USCIS telephone helpline has an option for just this. Just follow the instructions carefully for having sent the application and not received the receipt. You will get to talk to a customer rep who can look it up in his system.

Interview location

The CIS office that is close to where I live is San Jose, CA.
I had my fingerprint done at San Jose ASC.
But my interview is scheduled at Sacramento office!
Is this common? Or could this be something new that CSC is starting to do balance load?

timeline:

10/17: PD
11/08: FP
01/03: Interview letter
02/05: ID

Wow, congratulations. That's fast. And no, I haven't heard of a San Jose person being interviewed in Sac. I hope this load balancing thing is for real. I, for one, wouldn't mind driving to Sac for an interview if that means getting it done sooner :)

Please allow me a bit of speculation. It is my opinion that the two biggest bottlenecks in the naturalization process are the name check and the scheduling of the interview. If I were to reduce backlog and find that I cannot do much about improving the name check for now, then it would make sense to focus on the interview scheduling side. I am pretty sure that a lot of people from the San Jose office are stuck just waiting for an available interview slot to materialize. If on the other hand you have the office in Sacramento with a light load it would make sense to share the load and reduce backlog from San Jose. However, in the long run and for the improvement of customer service it is always better to increase San Jose's office capacity instead of asking people to go for the interview to Sacramento.

This could still be a clerical error by which they thought your application belonged to the Sacramento office.

My 2 cents.

Huracan, Thanks for posting your speculation. At first I had exactly the same thought that it must be an error. But on the other hand, the notice had the SJ as the contact address for any questions, an indication that the system knows that my application belongs to the SJ office. Anyway, either I should see others getting scheduled at Sacramento or another letter informing me about the mistake.

Wow! Congratulation, premo. I agree with the speculation that your interview was scheduled at Sacramento to redistribute the workload at SJ. But, I will also suggest that you schedule an infopass appointment with the SJ office and ask them why this happended and they could correct it if it were indeed a mistake.
Good luck with your interview and please post back any updates.

As for my case, my dates are closer to yours and I am still waiting - I am expecting a baby in March and hence if I could also get the interview dates in February, that would be more convenient for me.

premo said:
The CIS office that is close to where I live is San Jose, CA.
I had my fingerprint done at San Jose ASC.
But my interview is scheduled at Sacramento office!
Is this common? Or could this be something new that CSC is starting to do balance load?
That is very unusual. Never heard of this before. To me it appears like a scheduling mistake.

How long to ID once file reaches local SC?

My case status now shows that the case is pending and is with the California Service center. Going by the timelines in this forum I should be getting my Interview Letter by now. Should I wait a little longer or schedule an Infopass? Please advice!

My details

12/22/2006 : Mailed to CSC
12/26/2006 : Priority Date
12/28/2006 : Check cashed
1/3/2007 : Notice Date (Received in the mail on 1/6/2007)
??/??/?? : FP Notice Date
??/??/?? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment
??/??/???? : Oath

premo - let us know if you receive further letter

and do keep us updated of your interview.

It does appear to me that SJC is trying to do load balancing.

mistake?

I haven't heard from anyone else about having received an interview appointment outside of their field office, so it might very well be a mistake too.
I have an Infopass appt. to clear this up, will update this forum when I know more.

Few Question on my N400

Hello All:

Appreciate if someone got some answers. My wife finished her interview and now waiting for the notice for the Oath. I am waiting for my interview schedule for Feb 6th. We both filed on July 17th, 2006, completed FP on August 18th.

I have the following questions:

1. My Wife's Indian Passport is expiring end of this month, not knowing when she will receive the Oath notice should we go and renew it? Will there be any issues?

2. In addition, we would like to go to India for 2 weeks. Is it OK when waiting for the Oath letter and completed the interview?

3. How long does it take to receive the noticie letter after completing the interview, she completed on December 28th.

Thanks...

anilt said:
Hello All:

Appreciate if someone got some answers. My wife finished her interview and now waiting for the notice for the Oath. I am waiting for my interview schedule for Feb 6th. We both filed on July 17th, 2006, completed FP on August 18th.

1. My Wife's Indian Passport is expiring end of this month, not knowing when she will receive the Oath notice should we go and renew it? Will there be any issues?
I don't think the passport is needed at the Oath ceremony, just the green card. On the other hand isn't she going to lose the Indian passport once she naturalizes. I wouldn't spend the money on it if that were the case.

anilt said:
2. In addition, we would like to go to India for 2 weeks. Is it OK when waiting for the Oath letter and completed the interview?
I think that's fine. If I remember well one can update this travel information at the time of the oath. However, if you get a letter for the oath which is very close and you're out of the country you could miss your oath ceremony. I haven't kept track of where and when are the San Jose office ceremonies done. It used to be in Campbell, and on particular dates. Hope someone can contribute this, and perhaps you can plan your trip around the potential oath dates.
anilt said:
3. How long does it take to receive the noticie letter after completing the interview, she completed on December 28th.

Thanks...
It shouldn't take long if as per popular opinion nowadays the interviews are scheduled once the name check is cleared. It typically takes about a month to get the letter, but you could have found this by yourself just by browsing this thread and going back a couple of pages ;)

My 2 cents.

Is the trip to India already booked? Or is this just a case that you would like to go to India for 2 weeks? Otherwise you would have to get a new India passport to travel. The airlines will not let you travel with less than 6 months left on current passport.

If the trip is not booked I would wait to get do the oath and then get a US passport. You should get the oath in less than a month from interview. Although it now seems to depend on timing and could be longer.
The US passport could be got it about a week if you pay extra fees.

anilt said:
Hello All:

Thanks...

Do you have to surrender your Indian passport once you have acquired US citizenship ?

If you don't have to, and if I were in your shoes, I would renew my Indian passport and keep it.

If you travel with a US passport to India, I presume that you would need to add some delay to get an Indian visa on your US passport.

I also really wonder if this makes much sense to do if it even if India allowed dual citizenship to use two passports. Using one for into India and another coming into US.

This may raise a lot of questions with US immigration where your loyality is.
I wouldn't recommend it. Get the US passport after the oath and then required visas. And avoid any questions when you come back to the US.

If the trip is already planned then get the India passport renewed and go.
And consider delaying the oath.

If the trip is not already confirmed I would wait to get the oath done and then get a US passport.

Myself I have decided for no travel out of US until after oath as I just want to get this done and no more delays.

us-guy said:
I also really wonder if this makes much sense to do if it even if India allowed dual citizenship to use two passports. Using one for into India and another coming into US.
[...]

Even if India allows dual citizenship, as a new US citizen, you would get yourself in trouble if the US immigration officers find out that you are travelling with a non-US passport.

On the pratical level, once you are a US citizen, you will no longer have your green card. Therefore, if you show up at the airport with an Indian passport, the airlines will not let you fly out of the US unless you show them how you entered the US, i.e. you have to show them either your green card, or your I-94 form, or some other form indicating the mode with which you entered the USA.

HangGliding said:
On the pratical level, once you are a US citizen, you will no longer have your green card. Therefore, if you show up at the airport with an Indian passport, the airlines will not let you fly out of the US unless you show them how you entered the US, i.e. you have to show them either your green card, or your I-94 form, or some other form indicating the mode with which you entered the USA.
That is exactly right.