San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

CitizenKane said:
Hello,

Has anyone applied for greencard for parents after getting citizenship?

1) What is the process to follow (just submit I-130 with $190 and documents) or is there something more complicated?

2) What are the steps? Do they have to go for fingerprinting, etc?

3) How long does the process take? Since they are parents, they do not have to wait for a visa number to become available, so it should be a fairly short process, right?

Thanks,
Kane
According to uscis website they are 8/5/05 I-130 for parents. So about 6 months for INS and maybe same for embassy to call them for interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got FP notice

I just received my FP notice 2 days back

PD: 12/1/2005
FP Notice recd: 2/6/2006
FP date: 2/28/2006

Now next worry is about interview. Must travel to India for a marriage in May...

Anybody has any experience with rescheduling interview?

Does that Delay the process a lot?

TIA

krana said:
I just received my FP notice 2 days back

PD: 12/1/2005
FP Notice recd: 2/6/2006
FP date: 2/28/2006

Now next worry is about interview. Must travel to India for a marriage in May...

Anybody has any experience with rescheduling interview?

Does that Delay the process a lot?

TIA

you can go and give finger print in advance. I was in similar situation and I tried that in San Jose FP center. Inititally they didn't let me in. But when I told that I have to travel and showed my flight ticket, the officer said come when it is free, and she herself said 2-4PM is free time. I went around that time and they took my FPs.

Interview done ...

I had my interview done today. It was smooth. When I sent the application initially, I did not mention my traffic tickets. Today, I gave the updated page with traffic ticket info along with the court letter and DMV letter. He said that it is good that I have all the supporting documentation. He asked around 10 questions from the computer screen ( all of them from the sample questions )

Finally, he said that I will be scheduled for the March oath and I will receive the letter in 2 weeks time.

My details --

DO : San Jose
Application sent on : 9/24
Application received on : 9/27
Priority Date : 9/27
Check cashed on : 10/4
Official Receipt Received on : 10/14
Online application status : Able to check the status
FP Notice received on : 10/24 ( Online status did not get updated )
FP Done : 11/05
Online status updated on : 12/15/05
Received interview letter on : 12/17/05
Interview done on : 02/14/06
Waiting for the oath letter ...

FP Notice received

hmg said:
This gives me hope that things are moving and that i should be getting my FP notice in the next couple of weeks! Please do post your experience of going early for the FP once you are done with it. Thanks! Anyone else with early Dec 05 PD waiting for FP?

Applied: 12/8/05
Priority date: 12/12/05
App Notice Date: 12/22/05
Waiting for FP Notice.

Received my FP notice. Details are :
FP Notice Date : 10 Feb, 2006
FP Appointment Date: 9'th March 2006

hmg said:
Received my FP notice. Details are :
FP Notice Date : 10 Feb, 2006
FP Appointment Date: 9'th March 2006

I went to the ASC to see if they would FP me early ( i am travelling and would have missed my FP date). I went with my flight ticket/details. There was no problem. They let me in and i was done with the finger printing in 15 minutes. Overall excellent and fast service. On another note the directions to the ASC seem to be incorrect in yahoo as well as on the INS website:
What comes out on yahoo and INS website for 122 Charcot Ave,San Jose,CA is -

Traveling South From East Bay Area

1. Take I-880 SOUTH toward SAN JOSE.
2. Take exit #5 onto OTOOLE AVE toward BROKAW ROAD.
3. Turn RIGHT on E BROKAW RD.
4. Turn RIGHT on ZANKER RD.
5. Turn RIGHT on CHARCOT AVE.
6. Arrive at 122 CHARCOT AVE, SAN JOSE, on the Right

Step 5. & 6 above are wrong. Steps should be :
5. Turn Left on Charcot Ave.
6. Arrive at 122 Charcot Ave, San Jose, on the Left

I had a little bit of frustration driving around trying to figure the location; but finally spotted it after making a couple of passes on Charcot Ave.:)

FP cancelled by USCIS

My wife has her Priority date as Nov 25th and hasnt received her FP yet - we finally got an INFOPASS and went to the San Jose Center and inquired. Apparently her FP was cancelled even before it was sent!!!
Her application is still valid and the agent said that it could be possible that her FP was cancelled (Jan 7th) because of too many applications and that she could be back in the queue after a while. We saw the printout of the whole process.

This is highly frustrating and scary as well - since we have travel plans that didnt include this complication. To make it worse - the San Jose Dept of Homeland Security center points to the 800 number and they promptly push it back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
--
Vpartha

Oath ceremony

Did the oath ceremony in campbell today. Whole thing took exactly one hour. I'm glad its over in 6.5 months and thankful that I did not get stuck into INS's ill famed name-check or some other hellhole.

Now its time to dispose of all the INS documents I've been meticulously preserving for last decade ..

Took the Oath today

dad22: don't dispose of your documents. who knows INS might change their mind and call you back for another interview ;) ........ j/k

N-400 application sent on 8-27-05
PD 8-31-05
FP 10-13-05
Interview 1-23-06
Oath letter received 1-27-06
Oath 2-22-06

Good luck to all

rm38134 said:
dad22: don't dispose of your documents. who knows INS might change their mind and call you back for another interview ;) ........ j/k

N-400 application sent on 8-27-05
PD 8-31-05
FP 10-13-05
Interview 1-23-06
Oath letter received 1-27-06
Oath 2-22-06

Good luck to all

Yeah. Who knows. There is a 2 year statute of limitation for revoking citizenship if you supply fraudulent info on N400 application.

Anyways congrats to you and good luck to those waiting for their approvals.

Name Check

Had my interview in San Jose today. The officer was polite. He asked me 10 questions from the standard 100 questions. The whole interview took 15 mintues.

So it went really well except for the much-dreaded FBI name check (I didn't think that it would hit me!!). Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I saw many people were stuck in name check for a long time. But most have PD of 04. Any recent applicants stuck in name check?

Here are my dates:
PD: 10/12/05
Fingerprint date: 11/25/05
Interview date: 2/23/06

I filed for an FOIPA request as someone suggested on this forum. Any other suggestions on what I can do. It has only been 4 months since my application, so I will wait for a little bit.

MK

certified mail

Send the N-400 by certified mail on 02/15, nothing happened. I checked the USPS.com, it does not even show whether the mail was delivered yet!

SanJoseCA said:
Send the N-400 by certified mail on 02/15, nothing happened. I checked the USPS.com, it does not even show whether the mail was delivered yet!

Did you request for return receipt?

I sent my app thru overnight with no signature confirmation and I was able to check the status following day. I mailed on 01/24

SanJoseCA said:

Why certified mail ? There is nothing slower than certified mail . I took my certified mail 10 days from San Jose to San Francisco.

SanJoseCA said:

The best thing would be wait for your check to be deposited and that would be ample proof of the same..something you can count on...

USPS motto - you bet you can never count on us...They even lost my certified
mail once and never figured out what happenned..I just gave up
hope at the end..

don't worry...if you don't see your check deposited by the end of 1st week of march, then you should start thinking about it..

Msg to areyosamba

Hello areyosamba,

Looks like we have same timelines.
Any Idea on when we receive FP notice.?

thanks,
-CZPHope.

DO : SanJose
PD : 01/23/006
NoticeDt: 02/08/2006
Waiting for FP Notice

======================================

areyosamba said:
Did you request for return receipt?

I sent my app thru overnight with no signature confirmation and I was able to check the status following day. I mailed on 01/24

CZPHope said:
Hello areyosamba,

Looks like we have same timelines.
Any Idea on when we receive FP notice.?

thanks,
-CZPHope.

DO : SanJose
PD : 01/23/006
NoticeDt: 02/08/2006
Waiting for FP Notice

======================================

My guess mid march. Please update when you receive it.

SanJoseCA said:

Hello SanjoseCA,
I mailed the app on Feb 17th by certified mail, and they received (as per usps site) the application just yesterday - Feb 23. I think certified mail does delay things, but I didnt expect it to be delayed by so many days. But, I did go to the PostOffice on the morning of Feb 23rd and enquired about it. The clerk was of the impression that it was lost in the mail or was stuck in the system somewhere. He asked me to wait another 3 weeks and to possibly send in the mail again. Luckily for me, it showed up as delivered that very afternoon. Am wondering if it was my going to the post office and enquiring about it, which made this happen !

Regards
suriyan