San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Not getting FP notice in mail

Hi !

My PD is 11/28/2005 and I should have gotten the FP notice by now. What do you think I should do if I dont get it in another week ? Should I call the San Jose office and ask them why I have not received it yet ?

I am thinking that they do this in chronological order right ?

Thanks

sarpotd said:
Hi !

My PD is 11/28/2005 and I should have gotten the FP notice by now. What do you think I should do if I dont get it in another week ? Should I call the San Jose office and ask them why I have not received it yet ?

I am thinking that they do this in chronological order right ?

Thanks

I am in the same boat as you

PD: 11/28/2005
Spouse PD: 11/25/2005

I dont know why we have different dates though we submitted on the same day.

I called the USCIS 800 number and spoke to a customer rep about this and she gave the stock reply - your application is pending - please continue to wait.

FP taking a little bit longer than 2 months

vpartha/sarpotd:
It appears that the FP notice is taking a little bit longer than 2 months for San Jose applicants.

Our PD was 11/18 and we got our FP notice on 1/26 with a FP appt. for 2/9. My guess is that you should receive yours by end of next week.

Hope this helps.

-chatrathi

vpartha said:
I am in the same boat as you

PD: 11/28/2005
Spouse PD: 11/25/2005

I dont know why we have different dates though we submitted on the same day.

I think the different dates are probably a consequence of the new USCIS practice of decoupling families to decrease backlog and not keep members of the family captive of a slower member application. More information in the following link.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/statements/GroupMng_012406PN.pdf

Perhaps your application took more typing or checking than your spouse's. This means the rest of the process is going to have different speed for you and your spouse.

My 2 cents

Timeline

Here are my dates:
Mailed July 19, 2005
Recd. July 20
Priority Date: July 20
Check Cashed: July 25
Notice Date: July 27
Notice Received: July 30
Finger Printing Notice Recd: Aug 7
Finger printing: Sept 7
FBI got it and fwded to USCIS on same day: Spet 7
Interview Date Recd: October 28
Interview Date: Dec 22
Oath Letter Recd: Dec 29, 2005
Oath Date: Jan 18, 2006

Oath Letter Recieved

Finally got the Oath letter. The Oath is scheduled for Feb 22nd. What a relief
We applied last year on March 3. Took almost a year.

Received interview notice

Just last night I was wondering when my interview would take place, and I received the letter in the mail today :)

Priority Date: 10-24-2005
FP Notice Received: 11-26-2005
FP date: 12-29-2005
Interview Notice Received: 02-01-2006
Interview date: 03-17-2006

I will keep people posted about my progress.

Ciao!

Interview

I had my interview on Jan. 26.

I arrived in the waiting room for Naturalization at the exact hour from my appointment letter and I was called immediately. There were some other 20..30 people in the waiting room and most of them were still there after I was done with my interview, which took no longer than 15 minutes.
The officer was very nice and courteous. After he asked me to take the oath he asked for the driver license and Green Card. After that he went through my N400 application asking me questions from the form page by page to confirm what was there. When he got at the travels section I gave him a new page and a new appendix with my update travels outside of USA (I did some more traveling after filing the N400). He thanked me for doing that. At this point he asked for all my passports (current and expired ones) and looked carefully through tem comparing the entry dates in the US from the passport with what I declared in the application.
After finalizing the N400, he went specifically through the question with regard to the oath (Section 10H page 9) and then asked me to type/sign my name in the remaining fields of the N400 and the photos.

The he asked me 4 or 5 questions from the 100 list and asked me to write a simple sentence on the bottom of a page from N400.

In the final he said that my file is complete now and he gave me a form N652 – Naturalization Interview Results with the “Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval.” checked.

On the way out he mentioned that the February oath ceremony is full from his knowledge, but I should get an oath letter no latter than 2 months.

District Office - San Jose
Mailed application - 8/29/2005
Received app -9/12/2005
Check cleared - 9/14/2005
Priority date - 9/12/2005
Finger Printing Notice - 9/29/2005
Finger Printing - 10/27/2005
Interview Letter Notice - 11/14/2005
Interview - 01/26/2006

Rescheduling FP interview

Hi !

So I got my FP notice in the mail today (the watched water never boils is so true ;)

Anyway I am out of town on the day of the FP interview. Can I just go a few days earlier to get my FP taken. I would really prefer not to reschdule it through their system, cuz that will just delay it more.

Anybody with similar experiences ?

This is at the San jose office.

TIA

PD: 11/28
FP:2/21 (trying to go earlier)

Finally got the Interview Card

Applied Sept 3rd 2005
Priority date Sept 12th 2005
Fingerprint notice recvd Oct 1st 2005
Fingerprint date Oct 29th 2005

Interview Notice - Feb 2nd
Interview Date - March 3rd

I was getting worried that it might have gotten lost in the mail.

sarpotd said:
Hi !

So I got my FP notice in the mail today (the watched water never boils is so true ;)

Anyway I am out of town on the day of the FP interview. Can I just go a few days earlier to get my FP taken. I would really prefer not to reschdule it through their system, cuz that will just delay it more.

TIA

This gives me hope that things are moving and that i should be getting my FP notice in the next couple of weeks! Please do post your experience of going early for the FP once you are done with it. Thanks! Anyone else with early Dec 05 PD waiting for FP?

Applied: 12/8/05
Priority date: 12/12/05
App Notice Date: 12/22/05
Waiting for FP Notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we reschedule the interview at the INS office?

Hi,
We just received the interview notice for myself and my wife and they are a week apart (mine is on March 13 while for my wife it is March 21). I was wondering if I can make appointment with an INS officer and request for changing it so that we both do our interview on the same day (rather than doing by mail in which case nothing is certain)?
Thanks
Raj

PD: Oct-14-2005
FP Date: Dec-27-2005
Int. Notice Rcvd: Feb-02-2006
Int. Date: March-13-2006

sarpotd said:
Hi !

TIA

I got a FP notice on 1/27 for San Jose, and I was scheduled to go on a business trip out of the country on 1/30. I went to the San Jose FP office on 1/30 to see if they will take my FP in advance. Unfortunately the office is closed on Sundays and Mondays. 1/30 happened to be a Monday. So now I will be cutting short my trip to be on time for the FP appointment. Try your luck.

PD: 11/25
FP Notice: 1/27
FP : 2/16

Randyraj

randyraj said:
I got a FP notice on 1/27 for San Jose, and I was scheduled to go on a business trip out of the country on 1/30. I went to the San Jose FP office on 1/30 to see if they will take my FP in advance. Unfortunately the office is closed on Sundays and Mondays. 1/30 happened to be a Monday. So now I will be cutting short my trip to be on time for the FP appointment. Try your luck.

PD: 11/25
FP Notice: 1/27
FP : 2/16

Randyraj

My PD is 11/28 and my wife is 11/25. I received my FP notice on 2/3/2006 for FP on 2/21/2006 whereas my wife is still waiting on hers.

Neither the 800 number, the online status nor the Customer service folks seem to know anything and are spouting the same stock replies. I do realise that this might turn up in the mail in the next day or two but having jumped through enough hoops for the INS in the past decade or more I am quite paranoid about it.

Has anyone tried FP without an official notice? What is the procedure to follow here?

vpartha said:
My PD is 11/28 and my wife is 11/25. I received my FP notice on 2/3/2006 for FP on 2/21/2006 whereas my wife is still waiting on hers.

Neither the 800 number, the online status nor the Customer service folks seem to know anything and are spouting the same stock replies. I do realise that this might turn up in the mail in the next day or two but having jumped through enough hoops for the INS in the past decade or more I am quite paranoid about it.

Has anyone tried FP without an official notice? What is the procedure to follow here?

There is no definite logic here.

Since your cases might have been handled by different officers, you are never sure when you get the FP and later on interview dates.

In my case it was the reverse. My spouse and I applied on the same day and had the
same PD. She received the FP letter a month before I received mine. Even now, her interview is scheduled for 2nd week of February and I have still not even received my interview letter - so bottom line, just because you folks applied together means nothing..Customer service is pretty much useless, wonder why they even keep it in the first place since they will not be able to tell you anytime anything whatsoever..

tdesai said:
There is no definite logic here.

Since your cases might have been handled by different officers, you are never sure when you get the FP and later on interview dates.

In my case it was the reverse. My spouse and I applied on the same day and had the
same PD. She received the FP letter a month before I received mine. Even now, her interview is scheduled for 2nd week of February and I have still not even received my interview letter - so bottom line, just because you folks applied together means nothing..Customer service is pretty much useless, wonder why they even keep it in the first place since they will not be able to tell you anytime anything whatsoever..

That is the whole problem with INS. Once you send in your application, they somewhat randomly send you letters to come for various steps. No other way to check on what is going on. I think that is what makes people paranoid when dealing with INS.
Also Each letter carries the warning that if you dont appear, your case'll be closed. Well what if the letter is lost . If INS had a real online case status check or real customer service people who could look up and tell you exactly where you case is, I think it'll take lot of anxiety out of this whole process. And I think they should be able to do it with $400 they charge for each application.

vpartha said:

You actually need the letter when you go to the FP. They scan the bar code from the letter before starting to electronically acquire the FP. I do not know waht you can do if you do not have the letter. Once you will have the letter, you can go on a different date than the scheduled one and they will probably take you (happened with other people). But without .... :confused:

Applying for parents

Hello,

Has anyone applied for greencard for parents after getting citizenship?

1) What is the process to follow (just submit I-130 with $190 and documents) or is there something more complicated?

2) What are the steps? Do they have to go for fingerprinting, etc?

3) How long does the process take? Since they are parents, they do not have to wait for a visa number to become available, so it should be a fairly short process, right?

Thanks,
Kane