San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Did you check if your fingerprinting clearance was returned to USCIS? Usually that happens pretty quickly..in a day or two. If the clearance has not come...your interview letter might be delayed...based on the other posts in this and other timeline(s) in other cities...you should have your interview letter by now...that's my thinking....call the FBI for your fingerprinting clearance and see.

Information regarding my time line

DO: San Jose
PD: 3/7/2005
FP: 4/28/2005
Interview Date: 7/18/2005
Oath Ceremony: 8/24/2005
Applied Passport (normal service - expected 6 weeks): 8/30/2005
Received Passport: 9/17/2005

The interview was over in just 15 minutes and it was very easy. The officer didn't ask for anything other than my Green Card and my current passport. He was very easy going.

As part of the documents I submitted, I included a letter from the court indicating that I had no outstanding traffic tickets and that I had successfully finished traffic school for a ticket I received in 2002.

Since I had left my sponsoring employer 3 months after receiving the GC (although I had worked with them for 4 years), I was worried that it would cause problems. However, I was not asked at all about that.

Hope that helps,
Senthil.

Thanks!

premald said:
Did you check if your fingerprinting clearance was returned to USCIS? Usually that happens pretty quickly..in a day or two. If the clearance has not come...your interview letter might be delayed...based on the other posts in this and other timeline(s) in other cities...you should have your interview letter by now...that's my thinking....call the FBI for your fingerprinting clearance and see.

Thanks Premald, I just called FBI and they informed me that my fingerprinting was processed by FBI and sent to INS on 7/28 (fingerprinting was done on 7/28 as well). I hope I will get the interview notice soon. I haven't seen anyone with priority date later than 6/22 get their interview letter for the San Jose D.O. That means either people have slowed down in posting to this thread or INS has slowed down for San Jose D.O.?

zygyx said:
Thanks Premald, I just called FBI and they informed me that my fingerprinting was processed by FBI and sent to INS on 7/28 (fingerprinting was done on 7/28 as well). I hope I will get the interview notice soon. I haven't seen anyone with priority date later than 6/22 get their interview letter for the San Jose D.O. That means either people have slowed down in posting to this thread or INS has slowed down for San Jose D.O.?

Another indication if your interview has been scheduled is that your online status would dissappear. I vaguely remember that if that happens means that your interview letter is on the way. Did you call the USCIS office as well? They might be able to give you more info.

applying for citizenship earlier than 90 days prior to end of 5 year period..

Has anyone ever applied for citizenship 6 or more months before the end
of 5 year permanent residentship period?

I understand that the form states 3 months/90 days prior to 5 year
period.
But one of my friends applied almost 9 months prior to 5 year period end
and he did not have any difficulty.

Thanks.

rsh431 said:
Has anyone ever applied for citizenship 6 or more months before the end
of 5 year permanent residentship period?

I understand that the form states 3 months/90 days prior to 5 year
period.
But one of my friends applied almost 9 months prior to 5 year period end
and he did not have any difficulty.

Thanks.

I did, and my application was promptly returned (within a week of receiving). Some other folks had horror stories of applying early and getting rejected at the interview and had to start all over again.
My 2 cents, wait for the 4 years 9 months before applying.

Letter from Court about Traffic tickets

Hi Senthilvasan,

You mentioned in your post that you got a letter from a court about traffic ticket.

Could you please let me know how you got the letter? Did you go to a traffic court? and what you told them?
Because I went to the court and asked for similar letter and they mentioned that they do not have any letter/certificate like that.
Could you please provide your comments. It would be great help.

thanks
-Jaggu

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/29/2005
Priority date - 8/4/2005
FP notice - 8/21/2005
FP done - 9/17/2005
Waiting for interview notice

jramoshi said:
Hi Senthilvasan,

You mentioned in your post that you got a letter from a court about traffic ticket.

Could you please let me know how you got the letter? Did you go to a traffic court? and what you told them?
Because I went to the court and asked for similar letter and they mentioned that they do not have any letter/certificate like that.

thanks
-Jaggu

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/29/2005
Priority date - 8/4/2005
FP notice - 8/21/2005
FP done - 9/17/2005

I called the courts as well, they don't have any records for me either. The lady says that they maintain them from 6 months after the case is closed. I would suggest that you should the DMV record of your DL. Ask for H6 printout, that gives you a history for the last 10 years. I am simply planning on taking that.

Fingerprint Question

I got fingerprinted today on charcot ave center.( PD 8/11/05 ).

Strange thing happened. they kept the form that I filled out there and gave me the original finger print notice back.

My past experience has been that they always keep the FP notice and give you back the form that you fill out there. (from FP for GC and FP for some relatives for naturalization )

Anybody else who got recently fingerprinted had similar experience ? I waited outside to see other people come out and they too were given the FP notice back instead of the form they filled there.

I got F/P'd in San Francisco, and they also give me the original notice after stamping it with date the F/P was done. They retained the form that was filled out. You are right, this was exactly the opposite of what I experienced too when I had the F/P taken for AOS in Oakland.

Correct..

Hello,

I also got the original FP notice back, and they kept the form. Looks like its true for a lot of folks and almost a pattern.

Any one have a different experience recently, where they kept the original FP notice and returned the form instead?

Thanks,
Kane

I also had the same experience. I remember that they told me that we need to bring the FP notice to the interview. Here is my date.

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/10/2005
Priority date - 7/12/2005
FP notice - 7/30/2005
FP done - 8/18/2005

Has anyone has close PD date got an interview notice?

thanks.

I also had a similar experience, where the original finger printing notice was returned to me and was asked to bring it for the interview.

PD : 6/22/05
FP notice: 7/09/05
FP done: 7/28/05
Waiting for interview....

One Step Closer!

My online status disappeared on 9/23 and I received my interview
letter on 9/24.

DO: San Jose
PD : 6/22/05
FP notice: 7/09/05
FP done: 7/28/05
Online status disappeared: 9/23/05
Recvd interview letter: 9/24/05
Interview date: 11/17/05

Received interview letter

Just saw yesterday that online status has disappeared and got the interview letter today.

Applied: 6/28
Priority date: 7/1
Check cashed: 7/12
FP notice: 7/19
FP scheduled date: 8/9
FP actual date: 7/26
Online status disappeared: 9/23
Interview letter received: 9/24
Interview date: 11/28

(Ditto for wife)

-Raju

jramoshi said:
Hi Senthilvasan,

thanks
-Jaggu

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/29/2005
Priority date - 8/4/2005
FP notice - 8/21/2005
FP done - 9/17/2005

I just went to the Palo Alto Court office and asked them to give me a letter to indicate that I had no outstanding tickets for immigration purposes and that I had successfully completed traffic school for the ticket that I got. They had it ready for me within 2 weeks. That letter also indicated that I had successfully completed traffic school for the specific case # and that it has been dismissed and closed. Just let them have a copy of your driving ticket information that has the case number. If you don't have the case number, you'll be stuck going through books and books of micro-fiches!

Not certain if this is specific to the county, so different counties might have different policies.

The letter went something like:

A search of the traffic index was conducted for <my name>, date of birth <dob>, DL <license number>. We have found that the defendent has successfully completed traffic school for case #<case number> and the case is now dismissed and closed. There are no other records for any other tickets in Santa Clara County.

-Senthil.

Last edited by a moderator:
why you are doing this?

senthilvasan said:
I just went to the Palo Alto Court office and asked them to give me a letter to indicate that I had no outstanding tickets for immigration purposes and that I had successfully completed traffic school for the ticket that I got. They had it ready for me within 2 weeks. That letter also indicated that I had successfully completed traffic school for the specific case # and that it has been dismissed and closed. Just let them have a copy of your driving ticket information that has the case number. If you don't have the case number, you'll be stuck going through books and books of micro-fiches!

Not certain if this is specific to the county, so different counties might have different policies.

The letter went something like:

A search of the traffic index was conducted for <my name>, date of birth <dob>, DL <license number>. We have found that the defendent has successfully completed traffic school for case #<case number> and the case is now dismissed and closed. There are no other records for any other tickets in Santa Clara County.

-Senthil.

NO WHERE in the I-400 or INS supporting documents is mentioned that you need to bring court or DMV printouts. You are just overacting and making this process unnecessary complicated. If you make an effort and read through the postings of people who did the interview, you will find out that no one was even asked for such printouts.
But, if bringing such a printout makes you feel better, go ahead!

Making a copy of Certificat of Citizenship on Oath day?

Hello all,

I will take my Oath in a few weeks in the San Francisco. I plan to apply for a passport on the same day. Since I will have to sumbit my certificate of naturalization with the passport application, do they allow a copy of it to be made prior to it's submission. I would like to have a copy for peace of mind.

Also, if there is no urgency, is there any pro/con to expedite processin vs. normal processing?

Thank you,
Aha.

Just applied

Hello all,

I sent the N400 application last week. Here are my details.

Centre : San Jose
Application sent on : 9/24
Application received on : 9/27
Check cashed: ???

Thanks,