San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I was never able to see my case status on the web site since day 1. It has always been failure and not able to loate the case number.

Did you get FP notice? Are you sure your application is not lost in the black hole?
It pays to be more cautious than not when USCIS is concernced.

Update: completed the oath y'day. Some of the officers conducting the interviews at the Monterey office on my interview day were working at the ceremony venue, assigning and directing people to their seats. What a waste when they could have been interviewing more applicants ;-)
Took care of the SSA and passport application on the same day.

I don't think SJ has slowed down, it is more like they are operating at normal speeds and have not bothered to put in extra work to match the increase in applicants.

How do we know which DO our application is assigned to? I live between SF and SJ (Woodside) which is in San Mateo county. Can I presume that my case will be handled by the SF DO?

How do we know which DO our application is assigned to? I live between SF and SJ (Woodside) which is in San Mateo county. Can I presume that my case will be handled by the SF DO?

First of all, I can't resist to say, see, it was just a matter of a few days to get your notice ;) Second, I think it probably depends on zip code. I am not sure if this is helpful, but I found this page where you put your zip code and it gives you your local office. Try it out and please let us know :) If it is San Francisco you're lucky.

Click on the link and scroll down:

https://egov.immigration.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sf

you are in luck: SF is taking around 3-4 months total....enjoy , good luck !!!

SF Service Area
This office serves the following counties for all immigration services: Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Sonoma, and Trinity.

I think you have a valid reason to visit the san jose location and ask specifically:

1. What's the status of my name check ?
2. What's the status of my background check ? Has it cleared?
3. Has my case been transferred to this office ?

The lady at the front desk told me to ask these specific questions to the IO/(guy in white clothes) and just not ask " what's my case status". Pls take an apptment and go in there...at least that dude will look at your case in front of you and tell you "Everything looks ok, we will be scheduling your interview soon". If you hear those magic words, then you are set.... don't go again, just go to your mailbox daily and expect the flying eagle to be in there...it should happen soon. good luck !

Thanks a ton kkboy for the wonderful information. I went to San Jose DHS office and they told me that everything is ok (name check and background check has been cleared) and now my app is waiting to be scheduled for the interview (hopefully in June). A big load off my shoulder.

Good luck to rest of the folks.

Mirchi, I learnt about it from this forum. You have to tell SSA about the change in your immig status and show proof of being USC so they can update their records.

Received the Oath letter for April 18th

Received the Oath letter for April 18th

Here are my timelines for your benefit:
N-400 sent to USCIS SC - 07/31/2006
PD - 08/04/2006
FP Done - 08/15/2006
Interview Letter Recd - 01/31/2007
Interview Date - 03/14/2007 (San Jose)
Oath Letter Recd - 03/23/2007
Oath Ceremony sched - 04/18/2007 (Campbell)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last monday we had 3-4 people getting their interview letters in mail. Wondering if we have any further good news from others this week :)
(& hoping & hoping...for mine as well!)

I have a feeling that these interview notices come in batches. The batch is processed perhaps every month or so. My guess is we will have to wait at least another three or four weeks until we hear of the next batch of interviews.

My 2 cents.

omorpheus , u are welcome...

san jose folks,
one thing about car parking. Watch where you park near the heritage center. The oath took 1 hr to complete...but....
It took me another 35 mins just to get out out of the parking lot next to the theatre. park right near the entrance or with your car facing out :)... or in another parking lot....500 people trying to get out from a single lane parking lot was crazy............... thought, you would like to know.

Passport question

Hi, Those who took the oath, did you apply for passport the same day. Can you briefly describe what you did for the passport application. Thanks.

Got the oath letter today for the ceremony on 4/18. Am thinking about applying for passport on the same day. Should one go to the postal office
to apply? (I did that for my son when he was born). Also how fast
it can be done if applying the expedited process.

I heard folks also talking about changing SSN. Can someone offer more detail?

For the folks still in the queue, good luck!!!

I applied the same day...

...at the local post office. It's taking 1 month "expedited" from posting to getting the passport in hand, these days. I applied at the sunnyvale PO.

you can download the passport app from travel.state.gov website, all that is required is the fees (checks), 2 passport-style photos (costco), filled up form, original citizenship cert. the cert comes back with the passport.

No need to "change" soc sec (you get 1 number for your lifetime) , you can go at your leisure to the soc sec office with your proof of citizenship and let them know that you have become a citizen, and that they shud update their records....there's no hard /fast requirement to do this.

I have a feeling that these interview notices come in batches. The batch is processed perhaps every month or so. My guess is we will have to wait at least another three or four weeks until we hear of the next batch of interviews.

My 2 cents.

I doubt that they do it only once per month. Consider this: there are 500+ people at the oath every month. That means they will be interviewing at least 500 people in the previous month...They must be sending out letters per week IMHO.
(or i hope so at least!). Its just that not many people update their status here so we dont know how many ppl actually got ILs during any given time. If we kind-of knew that, it will make the waiting easier.
My timeline is similar to yours: last week of december FP.

I doubt that they do it only once per month. Consider this: there are 500+ people at the oath every month. That means they will be interviewing at least 500 people in the previous month...They must be sending out letters per week IMHO.
(or i hope so at least!). Its just that not many people update their status here so we dont know how many ppl actually got ILs during any given time. If we kind-of knew that, it will make the waiting easier.
My timeline is similar to yours: last week of december FP.

sammySam,

I think the truth is probably somewhere in between, they probably issue interview letters every once in a while, and then there are major interview letter mail outs, like the one we've recently seen. For me it is just a bit more than a coincicence that at least 3 or 4 people (between posters and people I know) got their interview letters on the same day, after so many days of silence. It seems to make sense that they process batches once they know how many officers will be available in the following weeks. They have to plan these interviews several weeks in advance. On the other hand I have in mind one poster who got the interview letter about a week or so before the major mailout. So, perhaps there are the two processes.

One way or the other, and trying not to be pessimistice, it is still going to take two or three months for us to get interview letter, batch processing or not ;)

Hi, Those who took the oath, did you apply for passport the same day. Can you briefly describe what you did for the passport application. Thanks.

You can fill out the passport application online that allows you to print it just like you would print a PDF file. Additionally, you need two copies of 2"x2" passport style (face frontal) color photographs and your checkbook to pay the required fees. You can find out the details of fees, etc., from http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html.

Certain post offices require to make a prior appointment. If you are going to one of those post offices, make sure you have already taken an appointment. As for me, I am going to take it easy and would apply for a passport probably after a few days of getting the naturalization certificate. This is because I don't have any immediate travel plans and in case something urgently comes up, I can always get an expedited services going directly to the San Francisco passport agency. Net-net, I have no real rush to get it the same day. However, your mileage may vary.