San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

AKMAGO said:
my case status disappeared from the status check page. ("last-updated" date changed to today's date - 09/03/06)... so hopefully I should be getting my interview letter this week. :)

Exact same thing happened to our cases on August 23rd - for both me and my spouse. The updated date was set to 8/23/06 and the online case status disappeared. So, we were also expecting interview letters last week. But, almost two weeks have passed by since then and nothing happened. Oh well ...

Name change during Naturalization

I've been reading in various posts that the Name change during Naturalization process is not done in San Jose since the court doesn't oversee the oath ceremony any longer. Is it the same in all places (San Francisco, New York etc.). Although I read some posts where they said there was no trouble with name change during Naturalization. - Thanks

ramrama, the SF DO doesnt do name changes either.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sanfran/aboutus.htm
The San Francisco District Office can no longer provide Name Changes as part of the Naturalization Process. This change is necessary because the District now conducts “Administrative” rather than “Judicial” Oath Ceremonies. Name changes can be obtained by filing a petition with your local Superior Court.

Also according to the SJ DO faq,

"We will continue to honor name changes due to marriage or divorce."

I assume that if the wife wants to change the name to husband's lastname, they might allow looking at the marriage certificate. Anyone know who to check with at CIS regarding this ?

Waiting for N-400 ack

Hi,

I have applied for N-400 3 months before my 5 years on GC. The application was sent back promptly and then I wrote a cover letter before I sent it again on Aug 19th. The cheque has been cached on Aug 24th but I have not received any Ack. or FP notice so far.

Have other experienced something like this? Is there a number that I can call to check what is going on with my application?

Thanks.

Just give a couple of more days... The NOA and FP date letter should be on its way.

I applied also 3 months ahead of my 5 yrs @ CSC and within 15 days got NOA and FP appt letter. Just completed FP @Oakland. ...Awaiting for Interview NOA and appt date.

Thanks
EastBay_003 :)

Same thing here. I also sent my application 3 month ahead of 5 year to CSC on Aug 16th. The check was cashed on 23th. No NOA, etc.

hqy said:
Same thing here. I also sent my application 3 month ahead of 5 year to CSC on Aug 16th. The check was cashed on 23th. No NOA, etc.

You should expect to receive your notice in the next few days. If you review timelines for most of the folks here, you will notice that there is almost always about 2 to 3 weeks delay between receipt of application and issuance of notice.

Thanks takadigi. You're right, yesterday right after I posted that message, I found NOA and Finger print notice in my mailbox.

My timeline:
Application sent : 8/16/06
Check cashed : 8/23/06
PD : 8/18/06
ND : 8/28/06
FP ND : 9/1/06
FP : 9/21/06

Last edited by a moderator:
hqy said:
Thanks takadigi. You're right, yesterday right after I posted that message, I found NOA and Finger print notice in my mailbox.

My timeline:
Application sent : 8/16/06
Check cashed : 8/23/06
PD : 8/18/06
ND : 8/28/06
FP ND : 9/1/06
FP : 9/21/06
This gives me hope that I should get mine soon. Thanks guys.

my timeline...
Application sent : 8/19/06
Check cashed : 8/24/06

same here

Mailed my application on Aug 18 with my wife's
Checks cashed on Aug 24 and 25
NOTHING from CSC till today

I am in San Diego

I hope I can get something soon, maybe next week

But this seems to be a new trend at CSC

You could still check your case status without NOA. The case number should start with WSC*00xxxxxxx where the last 7 digits of your case number should be written on your cashed check.

It worked but not much info is available

hqy, thanks for the suggestion and I was able to log in and check the status online,

However, the only info taht is shown is "Your N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on August 24, 2006. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete".

I guess we have to wait and still I am hoping we can get something in the next two three days.

Filed in 05/29/06

Is anyone here filed N400 in May but still is waiting for interview letter? Really frustrated by this stupid inconsistent and unpredictable process.

You're not alone.

JJ_JJ said:
Is anyone here filed N400 in May but still is waiting for interview letter? Really frustrated by this stupid inconsistent and unpredictable process.

Am still waiting for the interview notice.
DO : San Jose
5/30/06: N400 Mailed to CSC
6/06/06: N-400 Receive Date as well as Priority Date
6/19/06: FP Notice Date
7/11/06: FP Appointment
?: Interview Date
?: Oath date

Looks like they just skipped a month

sjn400 said:
Am still waiting for the interview notice.
DO : San Jose
5/30/06: N400 Mailed to CSC
6/06/06: N-400 Receive Date as well as Priority Date
6/19/06: FP Notice Date
7/11/06: FP Appointment
?: Interview Date
?: Oath date

I've seen people filed in late June got their interview letters. Seems they skipped a bunch of people who filed in late May to early June. I'm wondering what kind of criteria they follow in processing cases.

Got my and wife's NOA today

I got my and wife's NOA today, took more than three weeks.

Applications arrived at CSC on Aug 18 and priority date Aug 18.

Online status said last update Sept 10 (do they work on Sunday or it is just computer based update?)

Waiting for FP notice.

JJ_JJ said:
I've seen people filed in late June got their interview letters. Seems they skipped a bunch of people who filed in late May to early June. I'm wondering what kind of criteria they follow in processing cases.

Criteria - name check...

JJ_JJ said:

We are still waiting - filed in late May. Our (for both me and my spouse) online status shows the applications got updated on 8/23 and the online status disappeared but we didn't receive interview letters. Wondering whether we should use Infopass to check on what's going on:confused:.

takadigi and others waiting in SJ,
Did u request for a name change in the n400 appln ? Trying to find out if that is causing the delay.

Also, How do you find out if your appln is pending name check ?