San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Got FP letter. I see some people being refused early FP. Any inputs on what does one need to do to ensure early FP. My FP date is 06/19 but I intend to go tomorrow

I guess the advice depends on your circumstances. If for example you cannot go to your scheduled date because you are going to be on a trip, then show them some plane tickets. If you don't have any good excuse just go there and see if they take you. I don't think early FP makes a big difference now in overall processing time, but if you are in a hurry for citizenship I understand you want to try the early FP. I don't know how it is now, but in the past if they had a very slow day they would usually take you, perhaps a Saturday if they still open on Saturdays would be a good day to try. You don't lose anything for trying.

I haven't seen anybody posting an oath experience or just to let people know they got an oath letter for quite a while. Are people just not getting oath letters or don't find the time to come to the forum to share the good news? ;)

Completed Interview

I completed my interview today at San Jose office. My appointment was at 7:30am, I went in at 7:15 and was called in after 30 mins of waiting. It looked like my officer was one of those who doesn't ask for too much backup documentation, since I wasn't asked for any supporting docs except the basic passport, greencard and DL. Here are a few questions that were interesting enough to mention.

1. He asked for the company that filed for my greencard application. When I mentioned the name he was confused because I had I-140 approved from 2 companies and I used the second one to file my I-485 while he was looking at the first company's I-140 approval in his file. Once I clarified he was satisfied.
2. I had listed my traffic citations and he just confirmed if all of them were traffic citations and moved on.
3. He went through several items in my application and when he asked my day time phone and I hadn't memorized my new office phone number(cell phones are not allowed in the interview, so you can't look at the phone directory) and I hesitated for some time and then told my cell phone number and he entered it in the system. It is a good idea to review the application several times before the interview so you can answer the basic details from memory.
4. Asked me if traveled in 2009 and confirmed the month/year of my last travel outside US.

After 10 minutes he gave a notice which said I have been recommended for approval and said I'll get a letter with details of the Oath ceremony in 5-6 weeks.

02/18/2009: PD
03/06/2009: Notice received
03/13/2009 Received FP Notice (Appointment Date 3/26)
03/14/2009: FP Done - Walk-In.
04/13/2009: Received Interview letter(for June 3rd). Praise God!
06/03/2009: Completed Interview - Passed

I was given no reason for the need for review. The only thing that was out of the orfinary in my case was that I had one trip that lasted longer than 6 months outside the United States. However, I had documents proving that I had to be abroad for education reasons. I guess that this is what trigerred the review, but still I don't thing it should have taken them 6 months+ from the interview date to review the dates!!

This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful in my case. Good luck to anyone who is still in the process

I have a similar case. Were these 6 months part of the 5 year continuous period necessary for naturalization. Thanks.

I tried early FP today at Charcot Ave. I provided an excuse for a medical procedure (with documentation) on 06/19. The guy didn't even look through the papers - just asked me to reschedule FP. Now I will have to alter plans for FP

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear they didn't take you. I guess they got tired of people like myself doing early FP back in the time ;) In my case I went on a very slow day during Christmas holidays and didn't give me any trouble, but that was quite a while ago.

only after 3pm.

I tried early FP today at Charcot Ave. I provided an excuse for a medical procedure (with documentation) on 06/19. The guy didn't even look through the papers - just asked me to reschedule FP. Now I will have to alter plans for FP

What time did you go? Try going at 3:15pm and you should be fine.
Try tomorrow and let me know. Never go before 3pm.

Yes, San Jose was always a slowpoke, but not anymore.

So Lukizen, didn't you have any trouble with your FP walkin? Someone else posted that he was refused, and someone else was asking what to do

My timeline

---------------------------------------------------------
N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
05/26/2009 : Mailed
05/28/2009 : PD (and Receive Date)
06/01/2009 : Notice Date (Received on 06/05/2009)
06/02/2009 : Check cashed
xx/xx/2009 : FP ND
xx/xx/2009 : FP Appt
xx/xx/2009 : FP Done
xx/xx/2009 : Interview (ND xx/xx/2009)
xx/xx/2009 : Oath (Received xx/xx/2009, issued on xx/xx/2009, mailed on xx/xx/2009)
xx/xx/2009 : Applied N-600 and Expedited Passport
xx/xx/2009 : Passport received
xx/xx/2009 : Sent N-565 (Approved xx/xx/2009)

Interview recieved Date

PD : 03/23/09
FP : 05/01/09
Interview Scheduled : 07/01/09

twitter:- Please kindly update us on when you revieced your Interview notice that scheduled on 7/1/09. :p Hope is high.

I'm planing to call FBI (at 304-625-5590 or at 304-625-2406) this Monday to check my fingerprint stutas to make sure my NAME and background don't hold me back. Yes, you can check with the FBI wether your background has been checked and your fingerprint report has been sent back to USCIS or not. They can't tell you anything else. All you need is your Alien number. Once your fingerprint is cleared, USCIS will schedule you an inteview. This is another way to keep track on your case progress.

Thank you all...

Please NOTE: I'm not a lawyer, but just like you looking to get help and help.

04/21/09 Priority Date
04/23/09 Notice Date
04/24/09 Check Cashed
04/27/09 Received Receipt Notice
05/07/09 Received Fingerprint Notice (05/30/09 Fingerprint Date – Scheduled)
05/08/09 Fingerprint Done - Walk-in- took me 15 minutes to get it done :)
0?/??/09 Interview Notice Letter
0?/??/09 Interview Date
0?/??/09 Oath Letter Received
0?/??/09 Oath Taking Ceremony
0?/??/09 Applied Expedited Passport
0?/??/09 Received Passport

Early Fingerprint

People do it all the time, show up early and get it done. I went there late Friday and no one was there. The guy, didn't even ask me a reason. Time and day played a major role. Late Friday, when they are looking forward to the weekend and is slow. I'm not sure Saturday and how slow they are. Someone can share Saturaday experiance.

Because your early, they can send you back, don't give up and go back when is slow and try your luck again. No one knows why they let people do it early and sometime don't.

Good luck

04/21/09 Priority Date
04/23/09 Notice Date
04/24/09 Check Cashed
05/07/09 Received Fingerprint Notice (05/30/09 Fingerprint Date – Scheduled)
0?/??/09 Interview Date

Saturday FP

I went on a saturday afternoon around 2pm for early FP. There was only one other person there and I was let in with no questions. I think if you pick a least crowded time, you shouldn't have any problem with early FP. Also you don't need to explain to the security guy that you are there for early FP. Just relax and walk-in as if FP can be done at any time.

Early FP

I went on a saturday afternoon around 2pm for early FP. There was only one other person there and I was let in with no questions. I think if you pick a least crowded time, you shouldn't have any problem with early FP. Also you don't need to explain to the security guy that you are there for early FP. Just relax and walk-in as if FP can be done at any time.

I agree not explain to the security guy that you're early....

I went in at 3:15 pm today (Saturday). The security guy asked me the date. I told him 06/19. He started shaking his head saying he will not allow me. I asked him about the procedure for rescheduling. Then politely asked him if he can let me talk to someone else who can see my medical documents. He took the docs inside and then came out and said they can't do it. Guess I have been cursed with bad luck.

Just to add: There was only one person in at that time (one car in parking lot) and he arrived with me. I let him talk to the security guy first so that he can finish his business and I can get more time to persuade them to take my fingerprints.

Interview Letter Received

PD : 04/10/09
FP : 05/01/09 (Early FP on 05/01/09, Scheduled 05/16/09)
Interview Letter Received: 06/06/09
Interview Scheduled: 07/16/2009

Talk about fast process.... WOW!!

PD : 04/10/09
FP : 05/01/09 (Early FP on 05/01/09, Scheduled 05/16/09)
Interview Letter Received: 06/06/09
Interview Scheduled: 07/16/2009

I don't hear you saying *Woot Woot*;) This is really fast, in lest than 2 month for the PD date and IL received date. Thanks for the update.

04/21/09 Priority Date
04/23/09 Notice Date
04/24/09 Check Cashed
05/07/09 Received Fingerprint Notice
05/30/09 Fingerprint Date - Scheduled
0?/??/09 Interview Date