San Diego N-400 Timeline

Have you seen people accompanied with attorneys? I am concern about if I got interviewed by a mean officer, he might delay my approval for phony reasons.

Have you ever hired an attorney in assisting with your immigration paper? Did it help?

Thank you for sharing!

No I did not see anyone with an attorney. Many people were there with other people like friends or family but all the people I saw went to the interview alone. It is possible to get a mean officer I suppose but you won't know that until you get there.

I did not use an attorney for the Citizenship application - I did it myself after carefully understanding the procedure. An attorney did do all the paperwork for the H1B and GC but the company I worked for hired him and also paid all the fees - I just signed the docs when they told me to sign. I cannot see a need for an attorney for the Citizenship application unless it is not a straightforward case. If that's the case or you have some specific concern you can start a new thread about your concerns and I'm sure other on here (who know a lot more about the immigration process than me) can give you some suggestions

I think its a good idea to get a passport card but the SOS costs $45, how did you get it for $20? Thanks

It says $20 on the Dept of State website which is what I paid. I tried to post the link but it seems like I need 15 posts on this forum before I can post a link. Not sure why.

It says $20 on the Dept of State website which is what I paid. I tried to post the link but it seems like I need 15 posts on this forum before I can post a link. Not sure why.

I looked at the website again and it says if you already have a passport book and you are renewal, then it is $20, if you are first time to apply , it is $20 plus $25 execution fee. Did you remember if you also paid a $25 execution fee? I assume this is your first time applying.

Also, Are you still working for the same company which you got your H1B (then GC)from? Thanks

Had my interview this past Monday and got recommendation for approval :)
The IO said I will get the oath letter in two weeks.

Hi I have been trying to find somebody from san diego that did a name change to ask a few questions. I had a concern about name changes, actually removing my mothers maiden name and just leaving my dads last name. I have read around here that name changes have to be done at the court room? Is this correct or since san diego does once a month oaths, do they have a judge present at the golden hall? I chose yes on my n400 for the name change but was thinking of telling the IO that if it was going to add time to the oath to forget about it, i wannt to finish this as soon as possible, even if i don't get the name change its no big deal. Could you help me with these concerns? thanks

Interesting to see a few posts from San Diego. I applied in Oct 2009 and had the oath Jan 2010. I looked at this site at the time and saw very little info about the process in San Diego. I'm now done and also got my passport but stop by occasionally to see what's going on (out of habit I guess).

Anyway regarding the the 2 issues mentioned. I had a name change - really it was more of dropping one of my middle names but they consider it a name change even though I had dropped it on the GC. The process just added a few extra minutes to the interview - you have to fill out a form when you check in and in there it asks if you want a name change. When you get called to the interview the officer will print this out and have you sign it.

As for the officers - I got a lady who did not say very much (no chit-chat) and conducted the interview very much to the point. It was very quick and pretty much a non-event. The thing she seemed to be most concerned about was my trips abroad since getting the GC and carefully went through my passports looking at all the stamps.

I should mention I got my GC through employment.

I got my letter for the oath immidately after the interview and the oath was the following week (Golden hall very near to the downtown office).

I don't think there is anytning to be concerned about. Hope this helps.