PD: July 17, 2006
ND: July 25, 2006
FP ND: July 27, 2006
FP: Aug 5, 2006
ID ND: Aug 23, 2006
ID: Oct 19, 2006
Oath: Nov 21, 2006​

Good luck!

Completed fingerprinting today at San Marcos ASC. It took a couple hours, mostly waiting in line with the fingerprinting itself finished in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck!

Smooth ride !

I'm done ! Good luck everyone! Here is my timeline:

DO : San Diego

12/08/2006: Mailed to CSC (USPS certified mail)
12/12/2006: Received by CSC
12/12/2006: N-400 Notice Date
12/20/2006: FP Notice Date
01/10/2007: FP Appointment
02/27/2007: Interview Appointment
03/22/2007: Oath

Last edited by a moderator:
San Diego, CA

I sent out my N-400 application on 01/16/2010 to Phoenix, AZ and got NOA on 01/29/2010. My Priority Date is 01/22/2010. And I have not received anything from USCIS since then. No finger print notice. Today I received a yellow letter, asking for Driver License or State Issued ID. Is anybody on the same boat like me, that has no Finger Print notice but got yellow letter? It is kind odd.

Hi Guys,

My dream of getting US citizenship came true after attending an emotional oath ceremony on Feb 24 in San Diego, CA.

First of all many thanks to sincere helpers on this forum. This forum is definately the best immigration resource. I have recommended this forum to so many people.

I came to the US on F-1 Visa in August 1998, then switched to H-1Bs, faced harsh recession of 2002, managed to get through the greencard process in 2004 using AC-21. Faced another recession in 2008 and got my citizenship in 2010.

The oath ceremony was very emotional. I had tears in my eyes to see this dream come true. Boy, that was such a pleasant feeling. This opens soo many new opportunities for me. Many many thanks to people on this forum to help me get to this point.

For those who are interested in my timeline:
N-400 application sent: 11/5/09 San Diego, CA DO
Receipt: 11/12/09
FP date: 12/18/09 FP done early at San Marcos ASC
Interview: 2/1/10
Oath Letter: 2/15/10
Oath Ceremony: 2/24/10

I just filed my application at San Diego office as well. I wonder if you know anything about how long it will take for oath if you have a name change?
Also, are the officers nice at the San Diego downtown office ? If not I might want to hire a lawyer
Thanks

Interesting to see a few posts from San Diego. I applied in Oct 2009 and had the oath Jan 2010. I looked at this site at the time and saw very little info about the process in San Diego. I'm now done and also got my passport but stop by occasionally to see what's going on (out of habit I guess).

Anyway regarding the the 2 issues mentioned. I had a name change - really it was more of dropping one of my middle names but they consider it a name change even though I had dropped it on the GC. The process just added a few extra minutes to the interview - you have to fill out a form when you check in and in there it asks if you want a name change. When you get called to the interview the officer will print this out and have you sign it.

As for the officers - I got a lady who did not say very much (no chit-chat) and conducted the interview very much to the point. It was very quick and pretty much a non-event. The thing she seemed to be most concerned about was my trips abroad since getting the GC and carefully went through my passports looking at all the stamps.

I should mention I got my GC through employment.

I got my letter for the oath immidately after the interview and the oath was the following week (Golden hall very near to the downtown office).

I don't think there is anytning to be concerned about. Hope this helps.

I've got my FP Letter today

Thanks for all the input. I've got my FP Letter today, FP date is 03/18/2010

San Diego

Mailed: Jan 28th 2009
Priority Date: Feb 2nd
Waiting for FP notice and/or Yellow Letter

Interesting to see a few posts from San Diego. I applied in Oct 2009 and had the oath Jan 2010. I looked at this site at the time and saw very little info about the process in San Diego. I'm now done and also got my passport but stop by occasionally to see what's going on (out of habit I guess).

Anyway regarding the the 2 issues mentioned. I had a name change - really it was more of dropping one of my middle names but they consider it a name change even though I had dropped it on the GC. The process just added a few extra minutes to the interview - you have to fill out a form when you check in and in there it asks if you want a name change. When you get called to the interview the officer will print this out and have you sign it.

As for the officers - I got a lady who did not say very much (no chit-chat) and conducted the interview very much to the point. It was very quick and pretty much a non-event. The thing she seemed to be most concerned about was my trips abroad since getting the GC and carefully went through my passports looking at all the stamps.

I should mention I got my GC through employment.

I got my letter for the oath immidately after the interview and the oath was the following week (Golden hall very near to the downtown office).

I don't think there is anytning to be concerned about. Hope this helps.

When you apply for passport, did they ask for California DL? Or the Natrualization certificate was enough? Was yours regular or expedite? How long did it take and what to bring when apply in person? Thank you for sharing.

When you apply for passport, did they ask for California DL? Or the Natrualization certificate was enough? Was yours regular or expedite? How long did it take and what to bring when apply in person? Thank you for sharing.

Yes they ask you for a CA DL – they make a copy of it and send it with the application. You will also need to submit the original certificate of naturalization. It is currently taking 3 weeks from the date of submission until the PP arrives in your mailbox. This was regular processing – not expedited.

If you have your oath at the golden hall the USPS should be present to take people’s passport applications directly after the oath ceremony. For some reason they screwed up and did not show at the Jan oath ceremony so I submitted my application at a USPS facility near to me a couple of days later. But usually they will be there so you can go prepared. You can complete the application form and take it with you along with passports pics. If you are a member at Costco they do passport pics for $5. Also you will need to take cash or a checkbook since the Dept of State does not accept credit cards. If you go prepared you can apply right after the ceremony.

I also applied for and got a passport card as it a useful proof of Citizenship to carry around especially as we live in a town just next to Mexico and it is not uncommon to see the CBP checkpoints on some freeways around there. It’s only an additional $20 and it lives in the same spot in my wallet that my GC used to be.

Yes they ask you for a CA DL – they make a copy of it and send it with the application. You will also need to submit the original certificate of naturalization. It is currently taking 3 weeks from the date of submission until the PP arrives in your mailbox. This was regular processing – not expedited.

If you have your oath at the golden hall the USPS should be present to take people’s passport applications directly after the oath ceremony. For some reason they screwed up and did not show at the Jan oath ceremony so I submitted my application at a USPS facility near to me a couple of days later. But usually they will be there so you can go prepared. You can complete the application form and take it with you along with passports pics. If you are a member at Costco they do passport pics for $5. Also you will need to take cash or a checkbook since the Dept of State does not accept credit cards. If you go prepared you can apply right after the ceremony.

I also applied for and got a passport card as it a useful proof of Citizenship to carry around especially as we live in a town just next to Mexico and it is not uncommon to see the CBP checkpoints on some freeways around there. It’s only an additional $20 and it lives in the same spot in my wallet that my GC used to be.

Since I will have a name change and if I apply with the USPS people at the Golden Hall place my DL's name is not going to be the same as the new Natrualization Certificate will this be a problem?
Do you must have a SSN in order to apply for a Passport? The PP form says that you can put 000-00-0000 if you dont have one.

Do you need to get a New DL and SSN before apply for the PP or the Natualization Certificate is enough?
Because it will take 6 weeks for DMV to do a name chang

Thank you

Since I will have a name change and if I apply with the USPS people at the Golden Hall place my DL's name is not going to be the same as the new Natrualization Certificate will this be a problem?
Do you must have a SSN in order to apply for a Passport? The PP form says that you can put 000-00-0000 if you dont have one.

Do you need to get a New DL and SSN before apply for the PP or the Natualization Certificate is enough?
Because it will take 6 weeks for DMV to do a name chang

Thank you

Okay I guess I'm not entirely sure about this. I did not have that issue since I my changed name matched the name on the DL. One thing to bear in mind is that if you have a name change they will attach the name change form to the naturalization certificate with some sort of embossed seal to make it offcial I guess. You could try submitting that paper also with your existing DL - they may be willing to take it on that basis. No harm in trying.

Don't know about not having a SS number. I assume by asking this question you do not have one. I don't know anyone who applied without a SS number but maybe some on here have and could give their input about this.

Why not just get a SS number. It should be very quick. When I first arrived in the US to work (I was on an H1-B at the time) the relocation company which was hired by the company that brought me to the US took me to the SS office and I had the SS number 2 days later (called and got it over the phone - the card came later). So it should be pretty quick.

Okay I guess I'm not entirely sure about this. I did not have that issue since I my changed name matched the name on the DL. One thing to bear in mind is that if you have a name change they will attach the name change form to the naturalization certificate with some sort of embossed seal to make it offcial I guess. You could try submitting that paper also with your existing DL - they may be willing to take it on that basis. No harm in trying.

Don't know about not having a SS number. I assume by asking this question you do not have one. I don't know anyone who applied without a SS number but maybe some on here have and could give their input about this.

Why not just get a SS number. It should be very quick. When I first arrived in the US to work (I was on an H1-B at the time) the relocation company which was hired by the company that brought me to the US took me to the SS office and I had the SS number 2 days later (called and got it over the phone - the card came later). So it should be pretty quick.

When you had your N400 interview, did they ask for your Driver's License? Was the officer nice?
How long did it take for you to get the Oath letter? Did you get it right away after the interview?
So you got you PP in 3 weeks after you submitted? Thank you very much!

When you had your N400 interview, did they ask for your Driver's License? Was the officer nice?
How long did it take for you to get the Oath letter? Did you get it right away after the interview?
So you got you PP in 3 weeks after you submitted? Thank you very much!

Yes I believe the officer did ask for the DL and make a copy along with copies of my passport before starting the interview. I assume you do have a DL - if not I don't think it's a big deal - I don't think being able to drive is a requirement for becoming a Citizen - but if you don't have a DL it may help to take another form of picture ID.

I would class the officer as "neutral" and conducted the interview in somewhat emotionless fashion although I did chat with her about some casual stuff and she became a lot more friendly after that. Just depends who you get - some other IOs seemed a lot more friendly. Personally I was just there to get approved for the citizenship - was not really too concerned about the attitude of the IO as long as the interview yielded the correct result.

I got the oath letter about 10 mins after the interview (I was asked to wait for it in the waiting area). I then also got another copy of the letter from the USCIS office in the mail. In my case the oath ceremony was about a week after the interview.

I'm sure you will be fine - just relax and attend the interview. And yes 3 weeks for the PP - I think I got it 2 weeks ago.

Have you seen people accompanied with attorneys? I am concern about if I got interviewed by a mean officer, he might delay my approval for phony reasons.

Have you ever hired an attorney in assisting with your immigration paper? Did it help?

Thank you for sharing!

Yes I believe the officer did ask for the DL and make a copy along with copies of my passport before starting the interview. I assume you do have a DL - if not I don't think it's a big deal - I don't think being able to drive is a requirement for becoming a Citizen - but if you don't have a DL it may help to take another form of picture ID.

I would class the officer as "neutral" and conducted the interview in somewhat emotionless fashion although I did chat with her about some casual stuff and she became a lot more friendly after that. Just depends who you get - some other IOs seemed a lot more friendly. Personally I was just there to get approved for the citizenship - was not really too concerned about the attitude of the IO as long as the interview yielded the correct result.

I got the oath letter about 10 mins after the interview (I was asked to wait for it in the waiting area). I then also got another copy of the letter from the USCIS office in the mail. In my case the oath ceremony was about a week after the interview.

I'm sure you will be fine - just relax and attend the interview. And yes 3 weeks for the PP - I think I got it 2 weeks ago.

I think its a good idea to get a passport card but the SOS costs $45, how did you get it for $20? Thanks