San Antonio TX - N-400 Timeline

My interview was on Oct 23 - I was told that I would get the Oath letter 2-3 weeks after that - nothing yet and I am coming up on 8 weeks.

I have made an infopass appointment on Dec 28th. I live less than 10 miles away from the INS office. I know this is probably a waste of time. I just can not understand what the big deal is to schedule the oath if the case has already been approved.

Breez said:
I have made an infopass appointment on Dec 28th. I live less than 10 miles away from the INS office. I know this is probably a waste of time. I just can not understand what the big deal is to schedule the oath if the case has already been approved.

I agree. Please let us know how it goes and what the outcome is. Thanks.

Breez,

good luck with your infopass appt. I had one last week and found the officer to be very helpful. If possible, can you ask the officer about oath dates for the months of jan and feb and share it in the forum? thanks

aramamo said:
Breez,

good luck with your infopass appt. I had one last week and found the officer to be very helpful. If possible, can you ask the officer about oath dates for the months of jan and feb and share it in the forum? thanks
great idea!

Aramamo - I'm glad that you know the exact date of your interview. I submitted my application Oct.25,06 then get my FP Nov. 14, 06. I wish that they can schedule my interview letter for early Feb because I would have to go overseas this coming March. Gud luck with you and your wife's interview. Which part of San Antonio do you live. I lived at North Central. Just moved here from Arizona 6months ago.

CroATM- hopefully Santa will give your interview letter as a Christmas Gift :) . Although I know you won't trade all the good gudies for the letter LOL.Just kidding. I want to Wish you and your family a Joyful Christmas and Peaceful New Year.

Welcome to new members as well!

Happy Holidays to all!

Received oath letter today. I passed interview on Oct 16th. Oath is in Trinity University on Jan 26th at 11:45am. Hope you all get the letters soon.

DrMcormac...Happy holidays to you and yours as well.

Aus2006 - Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Since you had your interview a week ahead of mine, maybe next week Mr. Santa brings that long waited oath letter.

As for the gifts, Mrs. CroATM has already given me a wonderful gift - no, not a child but a rowing machine! ha ha! :p

That's an awesome gift CroATM. Looks like you are very good boy to Mrs. Santa. :)

Aus- thats a nice christmas present to you Aus an Oath letter, wow! We are happy for you and congratulations.

Actually I have a question, does any one have any idea how I can obtain dual citizenship? I just don't know if this is something I need to do in the beginning of N-400 application process. Any inputs will be appreciated.

DrMcCormac said:
That's an awesome gift CroATM. Looks like you are very good boy to Mrs. Santa. :)

Aus- thats a nice christmas present to you Aus an Oath letter, wow! We are happy for you and congratulations.

Actually I have a question, does any one have any idea how I can obtain dual citizenship? I just don't know if this is something I need to do in the beginning of N-400 application process. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Dr.McCormac, depends what country you are currently a citizen of. For example, Germany does not allow dual citizenship - however, they are at one end of the extreme. Most countries allow this as it is a grey area and US government will not tell you to surrender your previous passport. Basically, when travelling, travel with the US passport, but when going to your country of origin, use that country's passport.

None of this had to be noted on N-400. I intend to keep my old passport.

CroATM - I understand what you are saying. First I'm from Manila PH. Then second I'm wondering because everytime I go back home, immigration in ph always check my green card and swipe it in.
1.Then now I'm thinking how does it work? If I become US citizen and If I go back home I just show them my PH passport.

2.Then if they ask for my green card I just tell them that I'm US citizen? Is that right?

3.Then If I go back to US i just show US immigration my american passport? Is that how it works?

4. No stamp or anything like that in my PH Passport? Or a piece of paper saying I have dual citizenship?

I'm making it difficult for myself.

Sorry I just really want to understand how it works. I need to put up a small business overseas (i'm so nervous) so it would be a big hassle for paying taxes if you're a foreigner. And another thing I won't be able to acquire land on my name :(

Thanks for reading. Feel free to give me suggestions or advice.

Not using your US passport when you travel overseas is illegal.
If your country does not allow you to have dual citizenship, then you cannot use your country passport anymore. You have to get a valid visa on your US passport.
You can do what croATM is suggesting, but that is not lawfull.

Prevention is always better than cure. Goodluck.

DrMcCormac said:
CroATM - I understand what you are saying. First I'm from Manila PH. Then second I'm wondering because everytime I go back home, immigration in ph always check my green card and swipe it in.
1.Then now I'm thinking how does it work? If I become US citizen and If I go back home I just show them my PH passport.

2.Then if they ask for my green card I just tell them that I'm US citizen? Is that right?

3.Then If I go back to US i just show US immigration my american passport? Is that how it works?

4. No stamp or anything like that in my PH Passport? Or a piece of paper saying I have dual citizenship?

Sorry I just really want to understand how it works. I need to put up a small business overseas (i'm so nervous) so it would be a big hassle for paying taxes if you're a foreigner. And another thing I won't be able to acquire land on my name :(

Thanks for reading. Feel free to give me suggestions or advice.

Hello all - first some good news for me - just received my oath letter in the mail (it was delivered yesterday but I was out of town). The oath is on January 26, 2007 in San Antonio (Trinity University) at 11:45. What a relief! :p

Now, onto the questions - my apologies if I was suggesting anything illegal as, obviously, I do not have a US passport and have never done that.

I know that people who have dual citizenship and whose countries do not need visas to come to the US do this on regular basis (whether legal or illegal). Now, if you country is one of those for which US requires a visa, then they will ask for you green card (I think PH is one of those and so is my country)- in that case, you would need to travel on US passport to and from there.

There are very few countries that do not allow dual-citizenship (as I mentioned before, Germany os one of them), but most of the discourage it, but do not enforce it.

In that case I would say you need to enter with the US passport. Not sure if The Phillipines allow dual citizenship.

Good point - travel on US passport (I will have to do the same for my country as US requires visas to enter).

Yes, when leaving and entering the US, ALWAYS use ONLY your US passport.

Not 100% sure - you may want to talk to the Consulate of The Phillipines here. I used to know quite a few Filipinos in the city where I went to school and quite a few of them had both passports.

That's the key - you may want to check as my friends (who were citizens of both) owned land in The Phillipines (I know that for a fact as one of them won the lottery and bought quite a bit of land in the homeland).

I hope this helps - I am off to have a small celebration now and a big one is on Friday, January 26th! :D

MissMolina said:
Not using your US passport when you travel overseas is illegal.
If your country does not allow you to have dual citizenship, then you cannot use your country passport anymore. You have to get a valid visa on your US passport.
You can do what croATM is suggesting, but that is not lawfull.

Prevention is always better than cure. Goodluck.

Agree - however, we do not know whether DrMcCormac's country allows dual citizenship or no.

I would also neither advise nor suggest anything unlawful.

Congratulations CroATM! I'm so happy you got you! Santa bring your present pretty early! LOL.

Thank you for all of your advise and concern.

Unfortunately I got a letter form the INS saying I would have to redo my fingerprints on Jan 6, 2007 kinda lame but oh well what I can do, they are the boss. Do you think my paperworks will get behind? I guess I can't do any plans until I got my citizenship. :(

- Thanks Ms. Molina for the input, I appreciate it :)
I would discuss it with a lawyer later. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

DrMcCormac said:
Congratulations CroATM! I'm so happy you got you! Santa bring your present pretty early! LOL.

Thank you for all of your advise and concern.

Unfortunately I got a letter form the INS saying I would have to redo my fingerprints on Jan 6, 2007 kinda lame but oh well what I can do, they are the boss. Do you think my paperworks will get behind? I guess I can't do any plans until I got my citizenship. :(

- Thanks Ms. Molina for the input, I appreciate it :)
I would discuss it with a lawyer later. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Hm, interesting about redoing the fingerprints - I do not think that should push your process out too far out of the way. San Antonio DO has been pretty good and on schedule, so, in my mind, you should be ok.

Miss Molina - thank you. I am very exited about the Jan 26th oath.

Congratulations to CroATM!
It seems that SA DO only send out oath letters once in a while. The waiting between interview and oath dates is almost 3 months.
Merry Xmas to You All!

Thanks to all of you. I will have a report once I take the oath.

If I remember correctly, someone was supposed to have an Infopass Appointment today. Any news on that?

Happy Holidays to all of you who celebrate them at this time of year.

Folks,

My interview is on 22nd Jan. I have a couple of traffic violations in my driving record and was not sure if it would reflect poorly on me. Has one of your encountered questions regarding traffic ciolations during your interview? any tips or suggestions?