same or separate envelope?

Latin101

Registered Users (C)
I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before. Have you sent in the N-400 of yours and your spouse's in the same envelope? Is it a good idea to send them in together, or is there a rule that says you need to submit each application separately?

I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before. Have you sent in the N-400 of yours and your spouse's in the same envelope? Is it a good idea to send them in together, or is there a rule that says you need to submit each application separately?

We sent ours separately. I paid an extra $1 in postage. It wasn't the end of the world.

oh no, not to save the postage (didn't expect it could backfire like that - nice shot! :)). I was thinking if that would be an effective way to bundle your applications so they can be processed together. Or would they seek you out anyway even if you send them in separately?

I sent them together and all subsequent follow up activities occurred together - Receipts notices, FP notifications and FP dates and time, interview letters, interview dates and time, oath letters and oath dates all together including sequential certificate numbers.

oh no, not to save the postage (didn't expect it could backfire like that - nice shot! :)).

My apologies. It wasn't intended as a shot, just pointed out as the only negative consequence I could think of.

I was thinking if that would be an effective way to bundle your applications so they can be processed together. Or would they seek you out anyway even if you send them in separately?

Our receipt numbers are 4 apart (mine ends in 320, hers in 316). I expect they'll probably be handled together anyways. They might have been entered into the system one after another by the same person, for all I know.

NP, TheRealCanadian. What nkm described is what I hope to see. As long as sending both apps in the same envelope would not pose a problem, I think I'll go with it. Thanks guys.

I sent mine two days ago in one package. I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, and was told mailing them together would be no problem. I did it specifically to save on mailing costs :)

I sent them together and INS was able to separate them. But I had kind of put them as 2 separate apps just in 1 packet. Checks were separate as well.

I sent both applications together in same envelop and got receipt, FP notice and Interview notice together and all of them on/for same dates as well. Sperate checks.

Doesn't matter how you send them, as long as they get there. Using a pigeon is the most effective way in my view and they are official mail carrier of USCIS...:)

Two apps - filled out separately, along with separate CHECKS - in one envelope - thats how I sent last week. The checks got encashed ..

I would suggest, each application with its own check (it is very important that each application has its own check, otherwise it will be rejected) in a separate envelope, and then both envelopes inside a third larger one. Then you have nice separation of applications (no risk of getting photos mixed up, or checks) but both get together to USCIS so you increase the probability that both will be processed together. In my case I didn't even bother doing this and I just sent two separate envelopes and got processed together anyway. In my case I wanted to protect against lost mail. I thought that sending two separate envelopes, if one got lost the other would make it. However, if your goal is to increase the likelihood of being processed together I would do the two envelopes inside a third envelope. Yes, this question has been asked many times, and I pretty much always give the same answer ;) If it is not, it should be in one of the FAQ threads.

I sent both together with my wife, I saved $7 bucks (I sent it priority mail) and it helped a lot because we were always at the same time for everything (FP, interview, Oath, etc.) and in the other hand I believe that it also was helpful, because the officers have another less thing to worry about (that our marriage was a lie).
So, my advice is go together!