Same company in US and Canada - TN question

GraphicGirl

Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of getting all my docs together for my first TN application. (Graphic design occupation)
I’ve had a bit of experience with the application process with my ex husband a few years ago and I received my TD.
My TD has been expired since 2016.

So, currently I’m working for a Canadian company that has offices in the US as well. I’ve been offered a job in the Orlando branch.

Should my employment verification letter read ‘.....Ms xxxx was and employee from....’ or should it read ‘....Ms xxxx has been an employee from....’

The president of my company is worried that it looks like I got fired or quit....I don’t really see it way, but maybe I’m wrong. He’s also worried that during the interview they will ask too many questions.

He also has just renewed his L1 and had a hard time. I think it might be clouding his judgement lol

The company has same name in Canada and the US. Both are owned by one person here in Canada. But apparently legally there are two actual companies, one registered in Canada, one in the US.

Can anyone help with this?? Am I worrying for nothing? Arghh

Thank you in advance :)

No need to mention old company (which is probably not the exact same company), USCo is hiring you. Period.

Btw, have you considered asking for an L1 application instrad, That is for people who transfer to related firms in US, like you are doing. Better status that TN, and can be obtained at border as well.

I was trying to get a TN because I’ll be paying for it myself.
I was under the impression that the L1 was harder to get and more expensive. Is that true?

$56 for the TN at the boarder
L1 cost the president of my company $4000, that was with the legal fees he had to pay.
Maybe he didn’t have to use the lawyer, but I don’t know all the ins and outs of his case

Ok, $56. Since we are in a precise mood,"boarder" is spelled border.

L1 is a little more expensive, but you are a valuable employee , no? If you are married, you would want L2 for spouse, as that allows unencumbered work permit.

Damn autocorrect lol...yes I meant border.

No spouse, so I don’t have to worry about that.
I’ll look into the L-1 some more. Thanks for the advice.