Salary Reduction while waiting for I-485 approval

victoria

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 is pending for 6+ months. I also have received EAD. I am still working on H1. Due to current economic condition and lower billing rates in IT, my company wants to put me on a project (doing a favor rather than laying off) and reduce my salary as the billing rate is low for the project. (I have no clue is to what salary was mentioned in LC). I am willing to take salary reduction as I don\'t want to change job and get into hassles.

1) Can company reduce salary while I am on H1? Can I go on EAD and take salary reduction?
2) Will salary reduction be problem in I-485 approval?

I don\'t think so....

I am no authority on the subject, but as long as you and your company do not mess with the INS until your I-485 is approved, I don\'t think you will face any issue here.

No problem

as long as your current salary is above the standard saraly(fixed by labor dept) for the job title

No Title

1. yes they can. You can also join them in EAD ...
2. GC is for future job. So your company need not pay the salary promised in labor for GC. Moreover INS is not strict about salary. The position and responsibilities are critical. Salary is not...
This is in addition to what yubet said...

salary reduction ......

Hi guys,

You guys have raised an interesting topic in these bad economic times.
I have a few questions myself. Thank you for your inputs.

1. When you say \'salary fixed by labor dept for the job title\' does it mean it should be in the range mentioned by H1 labour receipt which you get when you file H1 or should it be whatever is mentioned in the labor for green card.

2. What if the salary is in the range mentioned by H1 labor receipt but less than what is mentioned in the labor of green card. Is this OK.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Bharat

working on lower salary

If your current employer agrees to pay you the salary mentioned in the GC filing form then you should be fine. Since GC is for future job so lower salary should not matter.