• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

salaries & cost of living by cities

jayo2k

Registered Users (C)
for thoses who wants to know the market in which they attend to work in usa... the cities who have the highest pay, highest employement rates ect...
I think that could help to chose which place to go because most peoples just want big cities like NYC, LA ect but do not necesserely know how is the job demand so I think thoses links could help.
Sometimes the salaries are just plain sick (for someone who lives in france where all salaries are the same regardless of the degrees...)

http://www.payscale.com/index/US]

http://www.bls.gov/ers/

after scruting thoses two links, I found out that owning your own business in usa can be very very lucrative, a whole nother level compared to France.
& the good thing is that in usa it is relatively easy to open your own business, the hard part is maintaining it

bonus, an extra link who rank cities according to crime, weather, cost of living ect...

http://www.areavibes.com/

Peoples, keep in mind that your degrees might not be reconize in usa, lot & lot of immigrant with top degrees find themself driving cab, waiting tables at restaurents ect because their degrees are just not reconized in usa... even in Canada & europe

Peoples, keep in mind that your degrees might not be reconize in usa, lot & lot of immigrant with top degrees find themself driving cab, waiting tables at restaurents ect because their degrees are just not reconized in usa...

Or maybe it's because America are going through a recession at the moment.

Maybe, but I know for a fact that in canada they are not reconized even in France. I know plenty of peoples with high degrees being a security staff at a store
Or maybe it's because America are going through a recession at the moment.

So true that a lot of degrees or licenses are not recognized over here.

You also have to consider that there is a lot of difference in living when it comes to rent, groceries, gas, etc...from State to State and also from City to City...

Peoples, keep in mind that your degrees might not be reconize in usa, lot & lot of immigrant with top degrees find themself driving cab, waiting tables at restaurents ect because their degrees are just not reconized in usa... even in Canada & europe
This is unfortunate!!

My husband has issues with his accent. You can't get a job where you interface with the people if they have a hard time understanding you. Practice US english as much as you can. In fact if you can use it all the time now. The first job will be the hardest as all employers now have many applicants for every position. The ask for job history they can verify . Think about doing volunteer things so you at least have someone that will give you a good reference

My husband has issues with his accent. You can't get a job where you interface with the people if they have a hard time understanding you. Practice US english as much as you can. In fact if you can use it all the time now. The first job will be the hardest as all employers now have many applicants for every position. The ask for job history they can verify . Think about doing volunteer things so you at least have someone that will give you a good reference

How you gonna pay your bills if you volunteer?

If you are not finding any jobs because everyone wants to talk to a reference in the US , you can do some volunteer work to have someone that will be a reference for you. I know US citizens with electrical engineering degrees that have been unemployed for the better part of a year. The job market here is tough.

Unemployment in Florida is unofficial at 16% officially at 11% in many areas.

Unofficial means that people who don't receive benefits anymore are not calculated neither are under employed. Overhere benefits stop earlier than in some other Countries.

I had if you get GC through DV, the US govt will pay for your rent and living costs for 18 months. But you need to apply after you're already in the US and have been issued with a GC and a Social Security Number. Is this correct?

Possible career path!!!

Was wondering if anyone here would know of a possible career path for a foreign trained attorney with four years of post call experience in native country(common law jurisdiction), now moving to the US as a DV winner. Thanks.

I had if you get GC through DV, the US govt will pay for your rent and living costs for 18 months. But you need to apply after you're already in the US and have been issued with a GC and a Social Security Number. Is this correct?
No they don't provide you with anything . There was a scam email running around with words like that trying to get you to fill out a webpage so they could steal your identity .

Possible career path!!!

Was wondering if anyone here would know of a possible career path for a foreign trained attorney with four years of post call experience in native country(common law jurisdiction), now moving to the US as a DV winner. Thanks.

To practice law in the US you must learn the laws of the area and pass an exam called the bar exam. While you learn this there should be chances for you to work with attorneys as a legal assistant ( many do everything but actually represent the client in court )

Possible career path!!!

I have a few US friends who are lawyers and law students. The consensus right now is a very very tough job market. Law school students are suing back their lawschools because they don't have a job..

Even if you are a US citizen, being an attorney in one state means you can only practice in THAT state, unless you take another bar exam in another state. This happened to my friend who is an attorney in Puerto Rico, and even though she wants to move to other parts of the US it is difficult because she needs a)re-take bar exam b)she doesn't know anyone/network/experience. so you have to start from ZERO. Back home she has lots of experience so she is in a higher position. If she moves to California, she has to start all over again.