S. 1932 Status

any updates on committee members

Hello everyone,

So far we know who is on the House committee. Do we know a similar list of ppl in the SENATE.

This is what i think.

1) Contacting Democrats is going to be completely USELESS. This is NOT an immigration bill, but part of a MUCH larger deficit reduction bill, which ALL Democrats JOINTLY oppose. Even if they sympathise with us, they WILL NOT vote for the passing of this bill.

2) I personally think we shud focuss on the SENATE REPUBLICAN MEMBERS. They are the ones who have had the foresight to put the immigration reforms in there in the First place.

3) I think contacting republican house members, is a double edged sword.
a) Advantage: We can inform them of these reforms.
b) Disadvantage: They may use these Immigration reforms as a Means to leverage their OWN agendas. That cud prove fatal for us. Lets say they negotiate a point saying, "we'll drop this if the senate committee drops the immigration reforms", then we are doomed.

4) We shud Wait for the final committee members to be announced and then contact members. Each one of us here shud write a PERSONALIZED letter to EACH OF the republican Senate members. Guys all this BULK FAXING, is NOT going to work. They are simply going to, either, trash that stuff Or write back with an auto-reply.

Guys pls lets EACH form our own letter and then WAIT for the final committee members to be announced.

Thoughts anyone?

Please send personalized faxes and mails to representatives

Folks,

I totally agree with the following Nozdam's comments. Please contact the representatives with personalized mails or faxes. We claim to be innovative and highly talented people. Let's be creative in writing to the congressmen and senators. Please do not send the same content over and over to the representatives.

Thanks & Regards

nozdam said:
Guys pls lets EACH form our own letter and then WAIT for the final committee members to be announced.
Thoughts anyone?

What Happened, everyone is slowed down a bit
common guys we have to make a draft letter and keep up the spirit

Here is the rough draft of the letter. Everyone please feel free to modify as per your requirement.

Sub: Request to consider Section 8001 of the S. 1932 along with L-1 fee increase provision of H.R. 4241

Dear Honorable Member of US Congress,

First of all I would like to congratulate you for extra ordinary efforts that you and your colleague at US House have taken to address the increasing deficit problem. There is no doubt that we need to control out deficit and I fully support you on this particular issue. I would also like to draw your attention on one provision in H.R. 4241 for increasing the L-1 visa fees. We request you to please consider section 8001 of S. 1932 along with the L-1 visa fee increase.

I am Legal immigrant working in the xxxxxxxx field since month/year. I along with many other legal immigrants are facing serious problem because of “Unavailability of Green Cards." The unavailability of green cards would not only make it impossible for me and other legal immigrants to gain permanent residence in the United States in the foreseeable future but also will make it impossible to change jobs and location. If nothing is done immediately we will either have to go to our home country or have to think about settling in another country. We love this country. This country has given the opportunity to grow. We want to stay and work in United States and contribute to the US economy.

United State Senate passed S 1932 on November 3, 2005. The section 8001 of S. 1932 allows recapturing unused EB numbers. Please note under section 8001 of S. 1932 professionals who will be considered for these recaptured visa numbers, in most cases, are those who are already employed in U.S. companies since last 4-6 years. They are law-abiding, tax-paying legal residents. They have been certified by the U.S. Department of Labor as high-skilled workers who will not be displacing existing American workers in the market. These applicants also have been certified to be highly qualified and suitable for the positions. Please note that we are not asking you to increase H-1B visas. We are just asking you to allow the highly skilled workers to file I-485 (Adjustment of Status) application without having to wait for the priority date to become current. Section 8001 of S. 1932 permits the filing of I-485 (Adjustment of Status) application without having to wait for the priority date to become current. This would allow the skilled immigrants like me to change jobs, obtain the Employment authorization card and advance parole for me and my family. If this important section of S 1932 is not considered in the final Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2006 bill it would hurt many highly skilled qualified professionals like me.

I urge you take action at this critical juncture by providing much needed relief to legal immigrants who have contributed to US economy. I request you to consider section 8001 of the Senate Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2006 while deciding the final version of the deficit reduction bill and addressed the major problem of unavailability of green card faced by legal skilled immigrants.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

Your Name

Looks soo hush-hush here the past few days :) Everyone seems to be either in ThanksGiving mode, or completely deflated :)

Eitherways, guys, cheer up, and keep the letters going.

I just emailed and faxed my version of the proposed draft to all the Republican congressmen from GA. All GA democrats are opposed to the entire bill, so I didn't think it did be useful. None of them will be on the conference committee anyway.

nozdam said:
Right now completely deflated. No Enthu to enjoy T'Giving

Me too. So tired this week.

The sad thing is....... it is so f****** hard to convince our desi bunch of friends to join hands in our fight. I personally have had a hard time to convince my friends to just go and email letters.

Sorry to say this..... we as a community suck because we DO NOT BELIEVE in uniting for a common cause. This is the reason why our native country is the way it is and we carry the same culture here. Pessimism, cynicism and plain laziness is rampant. The saving grace is of course our group in this forum.

Have a safe Tgiving weekend everyone...

U said it Indio!! But u know the worst part is, that inspite of being one of THE most successful immigrant minorities here, we have not done ANYTHING to help future Indians coming here. We have NO voice in congress, no participation in sports here, no one standing for elections even and worst of all the ones that DO stand for election, distance themselves from their Indianness. We must be one of the richest minorities in this country, but the Indians that have settled here have done ABSOLUTELY nothing to help the new batch of Indians coming here to study/work. On top of it Desi consultants are the FIRST to exploit other desis.

Trying to stay positive here guys, but to be perfectly honest, the positive energy is rapidly ebbing away into nothingness.

indio0617....same with me....dont know why only 100-200 participate when there are supposed to be 100k affected??

i think i will try to talk to my friends to see if they will like to participate in this movement....if not why.

so that i can get some idea....why as a group we are a big losers...

Nozdam,
Do your good part and move on? Today I read in HT(Hindustantimes.com) one NRI(Indian American) introduced bill against the H1Bs because she lost job in Outsourcing. is it sucks?? Yes. But who knows when we will get GC/Citizenship, we will do same? Human is most selfish creator in world.

Bottom-line, everyone has to fight for himself/herself? And doing something is better than doing nothing.
Keep it up :D

nozdam said:
U said it Indio!! But u know the worst part is, that inspite of being one of THE most successful immigrant minorities here, we have not done ANYTHING to help future Indians coming here. We have NO voice in congress, no participation in sports here, no one standing for elections even and worst of all the ones that DO stand for election, distance themselves from their Indianness. We must be one of the richest minorities in this country, but the Indians that have settled here have done ABSOLUTELY nothing to help the new batch of Indians coming here to study/work. On top of it Desi consultants are the FIRST to exploit other desis.

Trying to stay positive here guys, but to be perfectly honest, the positive energy is rapidly ebbing away into nothingness.

iameddie2005 said:
BTW, another 2 or 3 weeks of intense effort is still required according to Attorney Oh who hosts http://www.immigration-law.com

Here is what he said "Because of the differences between the two bills, S. 1932 is expected to the Conference Committee after the Congress returns to the session the second week in December 2005. This means that the businesses, academic community, and immigrant community should focus on the House-Senate conference committee to resolve differences between the S. 1932 as passed by the Senate and the S.1932 as amended by the House. H.R. 4241 which was passed that night is merged into S. 1932 and out of the picture hereon. The Senators and the House members have returned to your community for the next two weeks and it is a golden opportunity for the supports of the original S. 1932 to contact their Congressional delegations in their community during this holiday season. The House Speaker and the GOP majority whips in the Senate and House will play an important role in the conference process."

Again, if you would like help out and/or not sure how this affects you and what you can to help. Please go to http://www.immigration-law.com and look under heading "11/18/2005: House Passed H.R. 4241 by Vote 217-215 at 01:41 a.m. Today" and click on the "Read and help the immigration community's last minute effort"
If you haven't signed up already, you can also sign up for the following forum. If you have already signed up for it, please spread the words.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/techworkers1

Last edited by a moderator:
EB3,1-140Approved with PD May 2001... help...

I need some help from your guys, I know if the SR1932 fail to reach the president the waiting time is going to be in years. I have a couple of offers from diff companies and they say they can process green card, start with labor and tr the already established PD and file under EB2. Is there any risk to start this process?I am bit confused... The companies are Govt undertakings with 50K employees.I have over 12 yrs IT experience,and over 8 years on my present skill set. I also have a BS in computer science engineering. Let me know....

wow, are you telling the govt undertakings have started selling labors!!!!

or trying to hire on those grounds
mamamiax said:
I need some help from your guys, I know if the SR1932 fail to reach the president the waiting time is going to be in years. I have a couple of offers from diff companies and they say they can process green card, start with labor and tr the already established PD and file under EB2. Is there any risk to start this process?I am bit confused... The companies are Govt undertakings with 50K employees.I have over 12 yrs IT experience,and over 8 years on my present skill set. I also have a BS in computer science engineering. Let me know....

Response from congressman

Here is the response I got from my congressman Gene Green, 29th District Texas.

'Thank you for contacting our office regarding immigration reform and the impact it may have on our employment rate and our community. I appreciate your taking the time to contact us on this issue.
The unemployment rate in TX is above the national average. Our economy is weak and that is why I do not support any work visa program unless we are guaranteed that Americal workers have a chance to get those jobs before we give them to foreign workers. I will not vote for any legislation that increasses the number of foreign work visas when so many of our neighbours need to find work.
Again thank you for contacting us on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we can be of further assistance'.

Like many other congressmen, he also clearly doesn't understand the diference between Retrogression relief and H1B (workers visa). I also get a feeling that he is not pro-immigrant. Hope that people like these won't sit in the conference committe. I am planning to fax him explaining that I am asking him to support the EB retrogressin relief for people who are already in the jobs and it's not about work visa increase. Do you think explaining these people makes a difference or they have already made up their mind not to support any immigration clauses in the Budget Bill.

pls dont give up ...

raghuanu said:
Here is the response I got from my congressman Gene Green, 29th District Texas.

'Thank you for contacting our office regarding immigration reform and the impact it may have on our employment rate and our community. I appreciate your taking the time to contact us on this issue.
The unemployment rate in TX is above the national average. Our economy is weak and that is why I do not support any work visa program unless we are guaranteed that Americal workers have a chance to get those jobs before we give them to foreign workers. I will not vote for any legislation that increasses the number of foreign work visas when so many of our neighbours need to find work.
Again thank you for contacting us on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we can be of further assistance'.

Like many other congressmen, he also clearly doesn't understand the diference between Retrogression relief and H1B (workers visa). I also get a feeling that he is not pro-immigrant. Hope that people like these won't sit in the conference committe. I am planning to fax him explaining that I am asking him to support the EB retrogressin relief for people who are already in the jobs and it's not about work visa increase. Do you think explaining these people makes a difference or they have already made up their mind not to support any immigration clauses in the Budget Bill.

Please do not give up and try again...

Congressional Contact Assistance

Congressional Contact Assistance

Everyone is getting ready to reunite with the family members and close relatives during the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. So are the Congressional delegates (Senators and Representatives of the House). Businesses, no matter how small or large, and other profit and nonprofit corporate entities should spare their time to contact the Congressional delegates either via fax or via e-mail. AILA will provide links ( fax or e-mail) to these contacts to assist the corporate America. CompeteAmerica.Org provides abundance of materials to prepare your support letters. If you are small entities, http://isnamerica.org/ will provide such access to the Congressional delegates via fax.

Visa Number Recapture Legislation Under S. 1932

Visa Number Recapture Legislation Under S. 1932

The immigration system in this country desperately needs reform to face the changes in the past few decades, particularly in the issues related to relief of legalization in the context of the nation's demographic changes and the needs for the low-end labor forces.
However, the nation and the members of the Congress should bear in mind that the pending visa number recapture legislation has nothing to do with the "reform" of the immigration system. This legislation proposes no "reform" of the exising immigration system. This legislation just proposes to rectify the past failure of the government to properly implement the laws and issue the immigrant as well as nonimmigrant visas timely and in disregard of the spirit and legislative intent of the immigration statutue. Neither this legislation is related to any issues of legalization of certain segment of undocumented immigrants. The issues of Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Visa Number Recapture are completely two separate and unrelated issues and the Congress and the upcoming Conference Committee should not be distracted by another critical immigration legislation that lie ahead of them. The Congress and the Conference Committee should continue to focus the nation's mandate on the needs for rectifying its past failures and resolving the pressing issues of retaining the international brains in this country and recruiting international brains to assist the high tech and research industries to retain the brains and maintain cutting edge under the environment of growing international competition. The nation cannot afford keeping its growing trend of outsourcing the high-end resources to her competitors, potentially weakening her strength and power over the long haul.
Distinguished Senators and Congress members, with all due respect, this reporter urges you to go over the foregoing analysis and promptly pass the visa number recapture proposals in the original Senate bill, S. 1932.

Called Congressman

Please see my previous post. I called Congressman Gene Green and spoke with the secretary. He is still not back in town. However I left a detailed message with the secretary explaining the difference between H1b and EB retrogression and requesting his support for section 8001 only and this can help generate additional income to help the deficit reduction bill.
She apologized for the confusion and took down my cell number in case the congressman had to call me back. Hope I will be able to speak with him soon.

no they are not selling labor, they are unable to get a US person

nato said:
or trying to hire on those grounds

Since it is a critical position they are prepared to sponser.
They say they can file under PERM and transfer the PD date.
Is it safe to do so?/

sorry thought this was labor with that you have less risk, but with 140

it is a big risk, because it has been used for someone else, if that person filed 485 and ported off and obviously has a chance of getting the 485 approved before yours or may be he is already approved, then you cannot get your 485 approved though you may get the PD transferred, as only 1 485 can get approved based on 1 labor/I-140. The other side is if that guy's 485 has not been approved, yours get approved first then you go first(highly unlikely though). you can verify if the 485 was not filed for that guy then your risk is limited to PERM getting denied with portablity of PD and you getting stuck
mamamiax said:
Since it is a critical position they are prepared to sponser.
They say they can file under PERM and transfer the PD date.
Is it safe to do so?/

Last edited by a moderator: