S. 1932 Status

I have recorded that session and I am going to listen it carefully and keep you guys with conclusion . I was hearing Byrd and it looks he wasn't srong enough .
I am listening now and will try to give you more details .

I think that's the end of that. Now they are talking about time they have left on their hands because there was hardly any debate.

Maybe the senators who were not on the floor will show up for the voting on the amendment and hopefully that will be in our favor. If its the folks currently on the floor then we dont stand a chance.

Repulicans are not saying they are opposed to the "reclaiming unused visas" for GC or H1s. They are just not sure if this is the right bill to introduce it in.

Wait.... Sen John Cornyn speaks!!! Wonder where that will go...

Sen John Cornyn spoke for the bill. More about H1 and L1 visa than about our plight though he did mention that briefly. That's the end of that amendment and things have moved on. Voting will be tomorrow i think.

John Cornyn for President

John Cornyn Zindabad. It was so soothing to listen atleast one sensible voice there. Texans, you atleast have one great senator.

Seems like all these amendments will be voted together - so let us keep praying.

Guys, if any of you make through this and ever become a citizen - keep one thing in mind. NEVER VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS, THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Sen John Cornyn rules

Sen John Cornyn clearly stated the needs for the proposed visa increases and asked his colleaques to vote against Byrd's amenment. If you get a chance, please call Sen John Cornyn (R-Texas) and thank him for his efforts.

Mistry25 - Please upload audio file if possible

Mistry25,

Can you please upload the audio file here if possible. I viewed the webcast but could'nt listen as my audio was not working..I would like to hear their words.

thanks.

S 1932 is NOT JUST about H1B

Ok. There are gross mis conception on this bill.

- This is not Just about the increase of 30K H1-B, although that seems to be the focus and controversial.
- This is not about illegal
- The value of provisions on being able to file 485 before visas become current and counting family as one visa is way too high . They dont realize that and no one seemed to have made an argument supporting it.

So lets call and send the message that this bill was more than just H1B. It gave relief to several immgrant families without raising the immigration levels.

Worst case, even if they want to reduce the h1b levels, they should still leave the provision as is. Byrd amendment does nto make sense.

Lets call and email guys

Is there anyway we can call Arlen specter and inform him about the direction this BYRd's amendment proceeds and urge him to explain other senators mainly this is not increase in visa numbers but recapturing the already approved visas by congress with additional income . As he is the one who introduced the provisions so he must be well informed . Unfortunately Ranking member Mr Judd Gregg NH is confused and replied abt border security and increasing patrol agents as a reply to Byrd's amendment . so he also need to be contacted asap .

Last edited by a moderator:
GA Senator

My man Sen. Chambliss stood up and criticized Byrd's Amendment

I had talked to the senator's office this morning!!
So send me a cookie :)

There Is Hope

Guys,

I think we all should thank John Cornyn for a great performance. That was convincing - he did his homework well, obviously. What a pathetic seen was Robert Byrd - he looked like drunk. He was reading out the names of the unions which support his amendment - the govt workers union, american sound engineers union, american music workers union... Gimme a break!!! What a nonsense was that, unbelievable. Democrats are going to sink again because they listen to all these unions.

Anyway, there was no mention of when this will be voted. So, we still got time and work to do. Send emails and faxes again to as many senators as you can. LOOK AT THE OPPORTUNITY HERE, IT IS AN ALL OR NOTHING PROPOSAL RIGHT NOW. IF THIS AMENDMENT IS DEFEATED, THEN WE ARE GOLDEN - WE GET 90K RECAPTURE, COUNT-OUT OF SPOUSES AND KIDS AND ALSO THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET INTERIM BENEFITS. WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK. IT WILL EITHER PASS OR REJECT IN ITS ENTIRITY - THERE IS NO TIME FOR ANY OTHER PROPOSAL NOW.

SO GUYS - WE HAVE TO DO THIS ONCE AGAIN. SEND EMAILS TO ALL SENATORS ASKING THEM TO VOTE AGAINST THE BYRD AMENDMENT. I WILL POST THIS AS A NEW THRED TO GET MORE VISIBILITY. EVERYONE ALSO POST YOUR LETTERS TO SENATORS, SO IT IS EASY FOR OTHERS TO FRAME THE LETTERS. I AM CONFIDENT WE WILL WIN.. LETS GET ROLLING AGAIN..

GOODLUCK GUYS - WE ARE GETTING THERE.

Our case is just

Folks, it is true most people who I talk to undertands our EB crisis and request to increase visa numbers in order to keep our immigration going. That is true even for a couple of pro immigration reduction leaders I've talked to.

Many Americans are against H1B increases and perceive the S.1932 bill as a stealth way to bypass discussions. Correct, many Americans and Senators believe the S.1932 bill is not the adequate one to include immigration language.

Let's keep calling senators. Let's try to persuade them that the S.1932 addresses a legitimate and fair issue and therefore - even if it was not an exclusive bill to discuss immigration - it deserves an APPROVAL !

optimistguy,

The voting is slated for 'morrow for 5.5 hours. It MUST end at 6:00 by unanimous concent. if it doesn't, they have to reconvene on Friday (which no senator wants to do).

It will be voted on 'morrow.

Sen. Byrd is an old man and apparently has health issues. Well, let's see eventually if you get your greencard and then you change to the "other side of the fence" you will think reading all those letters from the unions will look like very supportive and efficient (?)

Let's do this, if we get our greencard eventually, we can chat at
"www.no-immigrationportal.com". :p
(That was a joke)

I think we all should thank John Cornyn for a great performance. That was convincing - he did his homework well, obviously. What a pathetic seen was Robert Byrd - he looked like drunk. He was reading out the names of the unions which support his amendment - the govt workers union, american sound engineers union, american music workers union... Gimme a break!!! What a nonsense was that, unbelievable. Democrats are going to sink again because they listen to all these unions.

GCBY2010 ,

I have recorded it in my VCR so will be able to updload it but my conclusion is it will be supported because Byred wasn't clear to his point
1) He said our road and hospitals are full now !! ( wait a minute are those full by EB people ? we are getting service from hospitals by paying them so we are good customer for them and one major thing is hospitals are main support for this bil to get more GC)
2) He said we are not ready yet to absorb them !! ( He doesn't know that we are already in USA and made our room and this bill is not going to get more people , I want to let him know that we are not going to use 2 car at same time ,not going to eat twice ,not going to go hospital twice once we get GC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Attached are additional talking points against the Byrd amendment. The
amendment will basically strip the Senate Judiciary Committee language
from the bill and add the House Judiciary Committee language which would
impose a $1500 fee on all L visas.

Please feel free to pass these on to others--it is important that we get
as many phone calls into Senate offices today and tomorrow. As a
reminder, the Senate switchboard number is: 202-224-3121. Senator
Byrd's office number is 202-224-3954 (the point person on this issue for
the Senator is Dave McMaster)

Senator Byrd is still scheduled to bring up his amendment at 2:00 p.m.
today. Votes will be tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Talking Points: Vote “NO” on Byrd Amendment to Budget Reconciliation Package

Today from 2:00 to 3:00pm it is anticipated that Senator Byrd (D-WV) will offer an amendment that would strip the additional employment-based (EB) and H-1B visas approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee as part of the Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005. The amendment would impose a $1500 fee on L-1 visas, identical to that already passed in the House. Please call those Senate offices with whom you have constituent relationships and urge them to vote “NO”.

Key Talking Points Against the Byrd Amendment follow:

· While, the House Judiciary Committee and the Byrd amendment would meet budget reconciliation obligations by imposing a $1,500 fee on L-1 (intracompany transferee) visas, the Senate has supported a different approach that would help American employers to grow, compete and innovate here in the United States.

· The L-1 visa fee in the Byrd amendment is a tax on business. The $1500 fee would not be used to improve immigration processing or otherwise make America more competitive. The fee sends yet another negative message that the U.S. is not conducive for business.

· The Senate Judiciary package would recapture UNUSED H-1B and employment based visas. This will allow American employers to hire vital employees in the United States rather than abroad.

· The ability to attract and retain the best talent from around the world is a major factor in American competitiveness. Arbitrary quotas on employment-based green cards and temporary visas (H-1Bs) for highly educated workers hurt our ability to attract and keep talent—and ultimately jobs—in the United States. The current Senate language allows U.S. employers to continue to access and retain certain talent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We need at least 1000 phone calls between today and tomorrow. Please do it. We have to win fight. Thanks to all of you who have made calls and sent letters and e-mails already!

Thanks John Cornyn

Guys..does anyone have a recording or know where to get one for Senator Cornyn's speech? I am from Texas and would definately like to call and fax a Thank you note. Just wondering if I could listen to the specifics that he spoke about.

The fact that this piece of legislation initially passed through the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is comprised of both Democrats and Republicans, by a strong 14-2 vote should provide some indication of its support in the Congress. Senator Sessions could not get his amendment of increasing L1 fees by an additional $1500 passed at the Committee. No wonder he joined old KKK hag Robert Byrd in mumbo jumbo about illegal immigration. Also, one source of comfort is Senator Cornyn's support, since he has the President's ear on immigration related policies. Republicans would take cue from his support for this bill. The bigger worry might be how to make it pass through the House Conference Committee. News is this bill is expected to be on roll-call on the amendments at 6.00 PM today.

I have done my bit, faxing the Pennsylvania Senators (Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum) for support of S.1932 and defeating Byrd's amendment. Please everyone do their bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deba_sihn ,

I have recorded in VCR do you know is there any way to convert to file and upload to this forum . I will do it even if I have to spend some money to get this recoding to our friends .

Thanks
Shailesh

Called up Senator Clinton office. Got a chance to present our case for full five minutes. Here is gist of my conversation:

1) If this amendment goes through all the legal immigrants will have pack up their bags and go back home which is against US interests.

2) It is shocking and discouraging to see such a thing from a Democrat.

3) No legal immigrants will ever vote for democrats again.

4) Why are de3mocrats taking such a immigrant approach? Arent we their future base? Why are they hell bent in driving us into republican camp.

Hence Senator Clinton should oppose it.

Lets see what happens. Am going to call up Charles Schumer now.

Guys please do it. More phone calls will definitely make a huge difference.