S. 1932 Status

I am california, and I just called Senator Byrd's office -- A lady picked up the phone, she mentioned that there will be no vote today, still I went ahead and reqested her to ask the Senator to reconsider the amendment (at least for the permanent residents) as they dont take away American jobs... The lady gave me a minute to talk at which point she got the gist of my message and asked me where I was calling from, when I told her, she abrubtly said "thank you, I will give the Senator the message".. I too thanked her for her time and hung up.

I think the senator's offices are getting pissed at getting call from people outside their constituency, so any Virginians on the board please make an effort to call the senator and ask him to reconsider his stand. Be polite (slightly emotional probably) and explain just the GC portion of the bill -- because the main opposition is towards American job loss, and it will be legally correct to tell them that GCs pose no job risk to American workers. H1B is another story.

Sc3

Faxed PA Senators!

I have faxed Pennsylvania Senators DC Offices - Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum.

Everyone join the effort. Also concentrate on 'Permanent Visa Backlog' redressal, rather than H1b increase which seems more controversial.

Faxed letter

Faxed letter in message below & about 5 of my friends did the same. We are from Texas, faxed it to following senators:

(Also called the switchboard at 202-224-3121 and conveyed same message to both Senators' offices)

Senator Cornyn - Fax: 202-228-2856 & 972-239-2110

Senator Hutchison - Fax: 202-224-0776 & 214-361-3502

November 2, 2005

Dear Honorable Senator Hutchison,

This is in regard to the Senate Judiciary Bill (S.1932) that came up in the senate yesterday (11/01/05).

Please vote “NO” to Senator Byrd’s amendment being introduced in the senate today (11/02/05).

This will help to leave the immigration provisions of the bill intact and help thousands of immigrants.

Thanks a lot,
[Name,Address,Phone #]

Last edited by a moderator:
Same experience here.. But she was not ready to confirm if the Byrd Amendment was about immigration relief removal. And Sen. Warner's office was very sure about that it was not. Don't know what's going on.

If any West Virginians are here please can you call Sen. Byrd's office and find out. (I don't understand why a West Virginian senator, of all the people, should worry about immigration relief provisions - Is there anything except jungles and mountain bears??). West Virginia is a state LEAST affected by any immigration related issue whatsoever!

Sc3 said:
I am california, and I just called Senator Byrd's office -- A lady picked up the phone, she mentioned that there will be no vote today, still I went ahead and reqested her to ask the Senator to reconsider the amendment (at least for the permanent residents) as they dont take away American jobs... The lady gave me a minute to talk at which point she got the gist of my message and asked me where I was calling from, when I told her, she abrubtly said "thank you, I will give the Senator the message".. I too thanked her for her time and hung up.

I think the senator's offices are getting pissed at getting call from people outside their constituency, so any Virginians on the board please make an effort to call the senator and ask him to reconsider his stand. Be polite (slightly emotional probably) and explain just the GC portion of the bill -- because the main opposition is towards American job loss, and it will be legally correct to tell them that GCs pose no job risk to American workers. H1B is another story.

Sc3

like do something!!!!

I agree with u about with West Virginia. No body count!!! so do something that some body count:D

optimistguy said:
Same experience here.. But she was not ready to confirm if the Byrd Amendment was about immigration relief removal. And Sen. Warner's office was very sure about that it was not. Don't know what's going on.

If any West Virginians are here please can you call Sen. Byrd's office and find out. (I don't understand why a West Virginian senator, of all the people, should worry about immigration relief provisions - Is there anything except jungles and mountain bears??). West Virginia is a state LEAST affected by any immigration related issue whatsoever!

It is Confirmed and the Byrd Amendment is about the Immigration Section of the Bill. What the amendment is about ie what changes he is seeking is not Known. CSpan Schedule says the Discussion is from 2-3Pm(the one announced on TV,CSpan2).
Ang again the Voting on this Budget Bill will not be before 6pmET today.

Anbody know if any web based FAXing program... maybe we should be incorporating them (the way AILA does mails) into this website so that there can be a lot more participation. I think a lot of people dont want to call/email/fax on their own... but are willing to push a few buttons. So if we can have such a interface available here, it will be very good.

On the other front, I think we should start countering FAIR (yeah right), and Numbersusa against their misguided propoganda.

I got this mail from a "special projects director" of FAIR saying that they are not against immigration.. they just want to reduce immigration so that population growth can be controlled. They think that 80% of 3 million per anum population growth of America is contributed by immigration (I think this is a made up stat) and they want to protect America against eventual environmental impact caused by immigration !!!

Sc3

I called Senator Byrd's office and I was told that Senator is going to put request to remove the entire immigration language from this bill since this bill is related to budget.

I am not sure how much true is this since amendment genearlly are related to changing few things and not deleting the whole language.

At this time Senator Byrd is speaking on the floor of the house. He has started with talking about illegal immigration, terror and county's infrastrure not yet prepared/ready, roads/school systems not ready to handle the new immigration.

Byrd is started speaking now .He is speaking strongly agianst immigratnt .He said govt incresing 350 K visa

Bad News!!!

Sen Byrd proposes and Sen Jeff. Session (R- AL) said he supports the amendment.

Basically the language about H-1B/EB-visas will be omitted from S. 1932

Bunch of b*******s. They are confusing us with illegal aliens. I am sooooo pissed. All our efforts are going waste....

what are the pro points?

Please can some one tell what are the pro points they are talking?
It would be useful when we call to tell missed points from our stand point.

Nobody is speaking for the bill (against Sen Byrd's ammendment). Sen. Arlen who is the biggest supporter for the bill is not on the floor due to other appointments.

Byrd is quoting all the anti-immigrant groups to press his point.

They are mixing illegals and legals. The main point is that the US schools, hospitals and roads are overcroweded and there are 8-12 millions illegals inside.
Also, he stands for Trade Unions and talking that aliens take their places.

Full and complete rubbish. He's lobbying someone's interests, but he's doing it really badly and nonprofessionally.

missing point

I am following the senator Byrds amendment speech. It looks like no body in the senate understands htat this is nothng but recapturing the unused visa and it is a temporary measure.

Even senator Sessions looks like he is in favor of the increasing the cap, but this is not the right time.