S. 1932 Status

Senate Schedule

The Senate stands in adjournment until 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, November 1. At 9:00 a.m., the Senate will resume consideration of S. 1932, the Deficit Reduction bill. The time until 8:00 p.m. will be divided as follows: 4 1/2 hours under the control of the Chairman of the Budget Cmte. and 5 1/2 hours under the control of the Ranking Member. At 12:30 p.m., the Senate will recess until 2:00 p.m. for the weekly policy lunches. Roll call VOTES are expected throughout the day on amendments to S. 1932. On Wednesday, the time from 8:30 a.m-6:00 p.m. will be equally divided. At 6:00 p.m., all debate time will be deemed expired. Roll call VOTES on amendments can be expected throughout the day. Amendments to S. 1932 can still be offered after debate time has expired. Therefore, on Thursday, a stacked series of VOTES on these amendments will occur, continuing until the bill is completed (a vote-a-rama). VOTES will continue on Friday if necessary.

Source: http://rpc.senate.gov/

zbd said:
No more any more Vote to Democrats from now on!
in all countries, they play same suck role to stop enh.
I'm tried to watch this issue. do I better go back ???

Yes you should, the immigration and green card is important to all of us.
We should also understand the big picture (cutting Medicare and Medicaid expenses) before making any ignorant and foolish statements. The Democrats always support immigration and we should not hate them just because they do not like this bill.
Please look at all the immigration bills sponsored in this congress or any congress and know the facts before hating anybody.

Sen Max of Montana is talking mainly about Katrina relief. Sen. from Arkansas and Sen. LO, all are asking more money for Katrina. No word mentioned about immigration retro relief

All D-Senators are talking only about providing more help (4.5 b against 1.8 b proposed) to Katrina victims mainly for health care. I'm listening C-span2 live and did not hear anything about S.1932.

popoye said:
The Senate stands in adjournment until 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, November 1. At 9:00 a.m., the Senate will resume consideration of S. 1932, the Deficit Reduction bill. The time until 8:00 p.m. will be divided as follows: 4 1/2 hours under the control of the Chairman of the Budget Cmte. and 5 1/2 hours under the control of the Ranking Member. At 12:30 p.m., the Senate will recess until 2:00 p.m. for the weekly policy lunches. Roll call VOTES are expected throughout the day on amendments to S. 1932. On Wednesday, the time from 8:30 a.m-6:00 p.m. will be equally divided. At 6:00 p.m., all debate time will be deemed expired. Roll call VOTES on amendments can be expected throughout the day. Amendments to S. 1932 can still be offered after debate time has expired. Therefore, on Thursday, a stacked series of VOTES on these amendments will occur, continuing until the bill is completed (a vote-a-rama). VOTES will continue on Friday if necessary.

Source: http://rpc.senate.gov/

Sen. Lot is speaking and he sounds against increase budget for Katrina. He is saying that its a Deficit reduction bill, and from where Katrina relief can from? He is saying that he will not vote for Katrina.

aix2005 said:
Yes you should, the immigration and green card is important to all of us.
We should also understand the big picture (cutting Medicare and Medicaid expenses) before making any ignorant and foolish statements. The Democrats always support immigration and we should not hate them just because they do not like this bill.
Please look at all the immigration bills sponsored in this congress or any congress and know the facts before hating anybody.

11/01/2005: Senate Judiciary Bill at the Brink of Collapse Unless Everybody Contracts Senators and Congressmen!!!

The full Senate failed to take a roll call for this bill today. Believe it or not, Senator Byrd intends to offer an amendment tomorrow (11/2/05) to remove the H-1B and immigrant visa retrogression provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee from the Budget Reconciliation Package.
Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Bird Amendment Immediately!!"
CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD: 202-224-3121 OR GET DIRECT LINES BY CLICKING HERE: http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/
Everyone should call tonight. I mean EVERYONE

Chuck Grassley - Senetor (IOWA) seems for Immigration

Chuck Grassley - Senetor (IOWA) seems for Immigration

Source

Where did you get this info??

popoye said:
11/01/2005: Senate Judiciary Bill at the Brink of Collapse Unless Everybody Contracts Senators and Congressmen!!!

The full Senate failed to take a roll call for this bill today. Believe it or not, Senator Byrd intends to offer an amendment tomorrow (11/2/05) to remove the H-1B and immigrant visa retrogression provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee from the Budget Reconciliation Package.
Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Bird Amendment Immediately!!"
CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD: 202-224-3121 OR GET DIRECT LINES BY CLICKING HERE: http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/
Everyone should call tonight. I mean EVERYONE

Republicans...

Democrats sucks ... They Increase the Taxes... they collapse the market (Millenium)... they want to stop immigration......

Democrats are short term planners... they look for only their benefit... not for country.....

Still ......Why the heck every one votes for Democrats... which is nothing but waste...

Byrd Flu!!!!!

People - call ur senators NOW!!!
The old sob Byrd is up with his nonesense again!! I can't understand why he is so caustic on all issues. The fact of the matter is, he is a very powerful senator and carries a lotoff influence.

everyone should call and OPPOSE the amendment propose by Byrd. He wants to remove H-b/retrogression language from S .1932

As expected, again the debate is following party lines.
Reps are supporting, dems are not (even moderate big names like Joe Lieberman said they oppose)

sunjoshi

(even moderate big names like Joe Lieberman said they oppose)

Do you mean the whole budget bill or Immigration reform?

Senator Byrd's amendment will be discussed/voted between 2-3pm.

Senator Byrd's amendment will be discussed/voted between 2-3pm.

Please, still I think we have couple of hours to call. Everyone, please contact the senators who you have not contacted yet. Particularly democrats are likely to support this amendment (Byrd is a veteran and well respected democrat). Please explain the situation calmly and request them to oppose the Byrd Amendment.

Cross the finger and pray - lets hope the amendment will be defeated. Goodluck everyone.

response from Congressman Mike Honda

Dear XXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the issuance of H1-B visas for
temporary foreign workers who have professional expertise not readily
available in the U.S. I appreciate hearing your views on this important
matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may be aware, the economic prosperity of the 1990’s fueled a
drive to increase the levels of employment-based immigration. During the
Clinton Administration, our nation enjoyed one of its longest periods of
economic expansion, keeping the unemployment rate low. Many
policymakers, including myself, were concerned that a scarcity of labor could
curtail the pace of economic growth. A primary legislative response was to
increase the supply of foreign temporary professional workers through
the year 2003 by raising the number of H1-B visas that could be issued.

The recent economic downturn in the information technology sector has
diminished demand for H-1B workers in that sector and has raised
questions about the lay-offs of H-1Bs. Clearly, there are many who oppose any
further increases or easing of admissions requirements since there is
no longer evidence of a labor shortage in these professional areas.
However, our economy will rebound, and we, therefore, must be taking steps
to prepare our workforce for future opportunities. The education of
students and retraining of the current workforce was and remains a
critical way to address our skilled worker shortage. Meanwhile, an appropriate
number of H-1B workers is essential if the United States is to remain
globally competitive.

While the tides of our economy will certainly ebb and flow, we must
never forget that there are real people and real lives that move with
those tides. I strongly believe that once we ask a temporary worker to come
to the United States to help make our economy grow, we must treat that
person as we would any worker in this country-with dignity, respect and
fairness.

Once again, I thank you for sharing your views me and will keep them in
mind as this issue moves through Congress. Your voice is critical in
shaping the way I represent our district. I hope that you will continue
to keep me apprised of issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,
Mike Honda
Member of Congress

==============
I used the email in http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/ that i got from immigration-law.com. What are you guys interpretation of this email. I am planning to respond to this and explain futher specifically about the senate judiciary bill.

http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/

I called several senators today - dont even remember the names. Anyway, Senator Warner (R-VA)'s office told me that the Byrd Amendment introduced today is NOT about the immigration relief part. Todays amendment is about something like imports/anti dumping duties etc.. (that's what he told - can anyone corroborate this?). As per him, Senator Byrd has not yet introduced his amendment for the immigration relief proposals.

I called Senator Byrd's office - but they said they do not know if it is true or false. They refused to give any details. So I again requested them that the senator should support the immigration relief proposals. She said she will pass it on.

So, looks like yet another twist here - its not down to the wire yet