RTD Regulation Change - One

TortFeasor

Registered Users (C)
As promised, this thread will host communications in connection with our efforts to effect regulatory reform relating to the issuance of RTDs. On behalf of the Steering Committee on Travel Freedom, we sent the letter below to both the Director and the Ombudsman of the CIS.

This is what we plan to do : (1) seek an audience with the Ombudsman to explain our requests; (2) follow up with appropriate persons at CIS; and (3) communicate our demand with other advocacy and interest groups so that we may gain credibility and traction. Depending on the response we get, we may think of other legal avenues to remedy the situation.

In the meantime, this is how you can help: send out copies of the attached letter to both the Director and the Ombudsman. Make the necessary modifications to reflect the right addressee. This will hopefully indicate that the problems are shared by a larger community. Furthermore, give us ideas and your thoughts as we push along.

We believe that the worst thing to do is to do nothing and allow this travesty to continue!

Cheerio

Dan

---------------------------------------------

Mr. Eduardo Aguirre
Director (with a rank of Under Secretary)
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”)
Department of Homeland Security
425 I Street, NW
Washington, DC 20536

[OR]

Mr. Prakash Khatri, Esq.
Ombudsman
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”)
Department of Homeland Security
Washington, DC 20528

Re: Regulatory Change to Expedite the Processing of Applications for Refugee Travel Documents

Dear [Director Aguirre] [Ombudsman Khatri]:

The undersigned are coordinators of the Steering Committee on Travel Freedom, a volunteer unincorporated association of current and previous asylees or refugees. By previous asylees or refugees, we are referring to those of us who have become permanent residents after adjusting from a previous asylee or refugee status.

We sought the protection of the United States of America from regimes or societies that persecuted us. We live in our adopted country, paying taxes, obeying its laws and contributing to its economic and social life. Pursuant to Section 223.2(b)(2) of Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations (the "CFR"), we are required to apply for a Refugee Travel Document ("RTD") from the USCIS to travel outside the United States.

On numerous occasions, it has been stated that the mission of the new USCIS is to ensure that "the right applicant receives the right benefit in the right amount of time, while preventing the wrong individuals from obtaining benefits."

In contrast, today we encounter the following when we apply for RTDs:

1. It is taking a minimum of six months for the USCIS to process RTDs.

2. Pursuant to 8 CFR 223.3(a)(2), RTDs are only valid for one year.

3. Pursuant to 8 CFR 223.2(c), we cannot apply for a new RTD while a currently valid RTD is in our possession.

4. A number of countries require that, in order to grant entry visas, RTDs should be valid for at least six months from the date of visa application.

The cumulative effect of the processing backlog and the provisions of the aforementioned regulations is that for at least six months out of every year, it is effectively and practically impossible for us to travel overseas.

We have been forced to forego numerous business and professional opportunities that are essential for our livelihoods, when, as is usually the case in such an interdependent and globalized economy, our work obligations require us to travel oversees. Furthermore, we have also missed numerous family and social events in safe countries. This issue is particularly important to us as we cannot travel to our respective countries of origin. One of the few occasions for our loved ones to meet us in person is to arrange for such meetings in safe countries.

In short, we feel "imprisoned" in the most free nation on earth.

The aforedescribed process infringes on our due process and equal protection rights to travel and earn a livelihood, free from unreasonable restrictions, afforded to all persons by the United States Constitution. Furthermore, the current process violates the spirit, if not the letter, of Article 28.1 of the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees (the "Refugee Convention"), as made applicable to the United States by its accession to the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees.

We ask you to use the powers of your good offices to effect regulatory and administrative changes that will go a long way in mitigating our situation. Specifically, we ask that the USCIS amend 8 CFR 223.3(a)(2) and make RTDs valid for five years or more. One of the reasons for the current backlog is the fact that we have to apply for RTDs every year. Prolonging the duration of RTDs for five years or more will reduce the workload for USCIS, thereby reducing the processing backlog significantly. This will then result in faster processing of RTD applications, allowing such applications to be processed, hopefully, in less than four weeks. By way of comparison, the British equivalent of the RTD is issued for up to ten years while its Canadian equivalent is issued for five years.

On numerous occasions, the USCIS has promised to review and reform procedures that create unnecessary backlogs. USCIS’s recent decision to amend 8 CFR 274a.12, by extending the duration of validity of certain employment authorization documents by up to five years is a good precedent the USCIS should follow with regards to RTDs.

We will be glad to discuss these concerns in detail with you or your delegate(s)). We look forward to working with your office on this issue of immense importance to us.

Sincerely,

/s/ Chee Chong

/s/ Abe Elmamoun

/s/ Daniel Woubishet

Hello
I'm very intersted in sending the letter, but am I missing something? I thought only Nebraska USCIS issued RTD's to Asylees and therefore sending it to each city would not make a difference? in any case I will send it. It's the most frustrating thing. Right now I'm in a position where I'm waiting for my RTD and am probably going to lose my position if I do not get it soon. I cannot for the life of me understand how they came up with the 1 year expiration (when you're an asylee and have no national passport!!) and then expect you to travel!!! Ok I'm venting, but thanks for that letter I will definitely send it to my Ombudsman.

This is a great idea. It is my understanding that hundreds if not thousands visit this list. The letter is readable and very well written.

I will mail a copy today.

Anyone who finds out about this letter should act accordingly.

Thanks

Juxhin

Follow up

Great that some people were able to dig through past files and get this :)

Of course in classic INS fashion, we did not hear anything back from them after we sent the letter and left numerous "ominous" messages.

My sense is that for one reason or another, they have expedited the overall RTD process which is an improvement. On the other hand, the overall goal of having a fundamental regulatory change (in terms of longer validity) is still a worthwhile cause. So if people want to send versions of the letter - it is still not a bad idea.

rgebru- by the way: the Ombudsman in the letter is not your local ombudsman but an official in the USCIS named Prakash Khatri. So address it to him in the address above. Furthermore, the new USCIS director is a guy called Emilio T. Gonzalez and not Eduardo Aguirre.

Even better: if you have the time, why do not you call the Ombudsman at (202) 357-8100 and register your complaints.

Cheerio

rgebru said:
Hello
I'm very intersted in sending the letter, but am I missing something? I thought only Nebraska USCIS issued RTD's to Asylees and therefore sending it to each city would not make a difference? in any case I will send it. It's the most frustrating thing. Right now I'm in a position where I'm waiting for my RTD and am probably going to lose my position if I do not get it soon. I cannot for the life of me understand how they came up with the 1 year expiration (when you're an asylee and have no national passport!!) and then expect you to travel!!! Ok I'm venting, but thanks for that letter I will definitely send it to my Ombudsman.

Tor:
I didn't realize that it was an old post, I didn't find this forum until recently. Thank you for all the information you posted. How are you able to get that by the way? I have been trying to get a number to call and complain, seeing as it is completely interfering with me being able to perform my job as required, and now my employer is getting really impatient with me (I wouldn't doubt that they wished they had hired someone who did not have all these constraints.) In any case, I will register my complaint, I hope that counts for something. I'm also planning on going to my congressman and complaining there as well. Yes, of course, I will call and complain!!! I have nothing but time waiting for my travel document to get here so I can travel for work!!!! And the worst part is not knowing when it will arrive and not being able to make plans. I guess I shouldn't be preaching to the choir...please let me know what I can contribute to make this issue heard. Writing to the senator?..again, if that means anything. Thanks again.

Suggestions

How long has it been since you applied for your RTD? Did you request an expedited approval? One thing you may consider doing in the future (or even now if it helps to expedite your application) is to get your employer to write a short letter supporting your expedited request. Basically, what you will say is that it is important and imperative for your work and the Company's business that the INS processors move their sorry and slow behind and approve your application pronto! (Not these exact words but you know what I mean!)

My experience is that this works wonders. Of course, you need a supportive employer and you may need to show a genuine business reason for your request. Employers may also get some action done by using the employer liaison office with the INS. In general, employers who need and value your services will jump hoops to accommodate you. If yours is like those monkeys in the TV ads, time to look for a new one!

I have no experience in using my reps in the House or Senate to get the INS to get things done. It all depends on (i) how organized their office is; (ii) whether they are immigrant-friendly (tough luck if you live in districts such as Sensenbrenner's (in Wisconsin) or Tancredo's (in Colorado); or (iii) if you can afford to take them on a plush golfing trip to Scotland :)

'hope it works out well for you!

SELAM and Cheerio

rgebru said:
Tor:
I didn't realize that it was an old post, I didn't find this forum until recently. Thank you for all the information you posted. How are you able to get that by the way? I have been trying to get a number to call and complain, seeing as it is completely interfering with me being able to perform my job as required, and now my employer is getting really impatient with me (I wouldn't doubt that they wished they had hired someone who did not have all these constraints.) In any case, I will register my complaint, I hope that counts for something. I'm also planning on going to my congressman and complaining there as well. Yes, of course, I will call and complain!!! I have nothing but time waiting for my travel document to get here so I can travel for work!!!! And the worst part is not knowing when it will arrive and not being able to make plans. I guess I shouldn't be preaching to the choir...please let me know what I can contribute to make this issue heard. Writing to the senator?..again, if that means anything. Thanks again.

Hi Tor,
Ok so I had my Congressman, Jim McGovern's office (I live in MA, by the way he is very pro immigration reform) get involved. They were very nice and very friendly and I actually spoke to the district director who agreed to request that INS get their act together. I just sent him all the information I had given them and hopefully he will help, although considering I need the RTD this week I wonder what he could do. OH well.

I applied for the renewal of my RTD on Jan 6th (my RTD was to expire in May 2006 but since my trip would have lasted longer I needed a new one). I had a letter from my company (and they were very nice in providing it and said that it was required that I travel on so and so date etc). Now I don't have the renewed one or the old one, and when I finally asked for the old one if my expedite request was not to be granted they told me that to get documents back it might take up to a month, what the Hell???!!

It has worked once before.. and that is the beauty of the incompetence of the USCIS. If they think that a work related trip warrants expeditious processing once, why does it not 8 months later? They even faxed it to them again saying that since I had not gotten a response after 5 faxes they were getting involved on my behalf. What is the work INS liaison by the way? The letter was just from HR. I wonder how much wording matters? It was not harsh and did not say it was in the interests of the company etc. just that I was required to be there and for how long. If there is a template I can use (for future reference) I would appreciate it. I basically wrote up the letter and they put it on their letterhead and signed it..so they're pretty cooperative I would say.

Ruth