Rights of minors who hold green cards

Bev

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know if a child (who is a green card holder) is forced to move out of the States because of the parents, will lose his PR status? Are there any laws to protect children in cases like this?

JoeF said:
No, why should there be? Children are minors, and whoever has custody, usually the parents, decides for them. Do you remember the Elian Gonzales case? His mother drowned while trying to flee from Cuba to the US, so his father got custody. And he wanted the child back in Cuba. Some people in Congress wanted to give the child a fast PR. I am not sure if they did, but it wouldn't have helped, anyway. The people who have custody make the decisions for minors.

I remmeber it was citizenship that the congress tried to confer upon
Elian Gonzales. If they did, then the father could of course still
take the child back to Cuba but the child would remain
a US citizen. PR status requires US residence, Citizens does not.

I agree with that. What would a minor do if the parents had to move out of the US and he/she wanted to stay on. Become a ward of the state ? I would rather be with my parents where they are rather than have social services pick a family for me.

Is this correct for me to say: if the parents (who were also green card holders) leave the country, then the child loses his green card status?

Can a child come back at a later date and argue that he wants to return to the States permanently and would like for his green card to be renewed on the grounds that it was not his decision to leave the States and therefore, he did not CHOOSE to abandon his permanent residency status. I mean, I could also argue that the child received his green card by his parents actions and therefore, he would lose his green card if his parents actions caused this. But does it work equally like that?

Let's add another twist to this: What happens if the child is now over 18 and has recently learned that he had a green card as a minor...but never really knew about it until now. Does he have any grounds to fight to go back to the States permanently?

I hear you about the Elian case. That has me worried.

JoeF said:
His relatives in the US tried to gain custody, "for the good of the child." They went to court, and it was thrown out.

Actually that argument was laughable because the assumption of this argument is that only thing human being needs while growing/living is meterialistic world (for example, Orlando Disney World :) ). Following that argument, a rich person can snatch a child from poor parent. In fact, in slavery period, many slavery supporters used to think that way - slaves are better off being slave in USA than living free in Africa.

Joe F, thanks for your useful perspective. I am now wondering, okay, let's say I have no grounds for pursuing this green card renewal...my next question is...does having gotten a green card in the past, affect my ability to get a new one? (ie, INS will be more reluctant to give me one because I have already at one point given up my right to live in the States, my choice or not.)

Just so Pralay knows...this isn't about choosing between parents and living a materialistic life. This is about parents who made choices for a child without ever informing the child of its rights even after this child turned 18. Making this issue something between the parents and child is one thing, trying to figure out what can be done about the situation, if anything, is another. This is just one of a lifetime of things that my parents have done behind my back because of their greediness and completely skewed views of life.

JoeF, I appreciate the advise you provided me with regards to my immigration questions. As for your additional comment, (1) my comment was not directed to you but since you believe that you have so much knowledge of my life and who I am by what little I have written about my life on this website, I have this to say (2) you don't know anything about me, my life, my parents. To insult me by saying that this attitude is why children don't have the rights to make decisions is basically telling me that I am a child. Well, I am 25 years old, a CPA, and manager at one of the largest accounting firms in the world. My point is, if I were such a child like you have accused me of, I wouldn't be where I am today. (I suspect you will throw in a little insult after this comment as well). To say that you only become an adult when you start agreeing with your parents is one of the most retarded (I tried to think of another word but honestly cannot think of a better word to accompany such a retarded view) comments I have ever heard. I suppose that children whose parents that physically and psychologically abuse them only become adults when they too realize that they too should agree with their parents and therefore, physically and psychologically abuse others. Are you mental?!?! You must have come from a family where you run through green fields and ride your horses and lick lollipops all day because get real. Life is not like that for everyone. So before you open your big mouth and give people opinions to which you have absolutely no right to (and this is for all the other rude people who have big mouths as well), maybe you should educate yourself a little better about the world, beyond what you know of immigration laws. I have nothing else to add because I really don't care to entertain people like you. So stupid.

I have this feeling that you are going to respond with nothing but negative things to say. Writing this sentence is stupid of me for wasting my time to deal with people like you. Too bad we don't have an online betting game around here.

JoeF said:
While that may be (and I don't really care,) you haven't shown maturity in your post. That was what my comment was about.

Considering that she's known her parents for over two decades, I would characterize her claims about them as far more authoritative than your opinions. Maturity has little to nothing to do with agreeing with your parents - it's everything to do with seeing where they were right, and where they were wrong, and acting on that.

Real Canadian: thank you. You couldn't have phrased the way I see things better.

As for JoeF, I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just telling you that you should not be insulting other people without fully understanding the situation. I feel sorry for you for being the way you are.

It is a general presumtion that parents are the better judges
and their decisions leads to betterment for child but may not be true in 100% of all cases.There may be always exceptions.Who knows --Bev. might have undergone such things later proving his/her parents may be wrong, incourse of his/her life.Also,Bev's interest should limit to know whether his/her
GC is renewable than whether parents are right or wrong.Who knows,they may be right/wrong also.

I have nothing against Green cards obtained thru marriage etc but nobody has a right to expect it. I as many others here have worked hard at getting it on merit. If you are qualified and deserving there are no limits as to what you can do.

Yeppo

Ippo,
Please do not bring the sectarian divison and clash between different
GCs.Every body has a equal right to GC ,if not then, no to all groups(ofcourse for eligible only).
Of course I am from EB only.

Sorry,

No offence meant and I attribute no difference to the manner it is obtained. All categories go thru their own miseries. What got me a bit worked up is the fact that the GC was being referred almost as a birth right whereas it is not.

Rgds,

Yeppo

Bev buddy, you are good. Ignore few sarcastic remarks here. Because he is a loser in his real life ( quite often who becomes Resident Bulley here), this forum has become source of discouragement for many. But I don't want you to lose hope. Consult with lawyers, do some your own research, prepare evidence ( that circumstance were out of your hand) and if there is slightest chance to get your GC, go for it.

Good Luck.