revoking greencard

PaddyO

Hello,

I have been a us permanent resident since I was 18 back in 1981. Over the last few years I have been working overseas and was wrongly informed by the US consulate that all I needed to do was not stay out of the us more than one year. I have returned to the US once or twice a year for two weeks for the last four years. I have had a few questions from immigration officials and have always told them that I was working overseas and intended to return as soon as possible. This has not posed a problem until last year when an agent sent me to secondary inspection and I was interviewed. I told the agent what was up and he typed for about ten minutes then gave me a passionate speech about how living in the usa was a privilege and not a right and told me that I should file to become a citizen and let me in. He said that I may end up being called to a hearing or having problems next time I come to the us. He did not mention that i cant apply for citizenship until I live back in the US for 5 years.

Having read some posts on the internet I think I will have some problems when I return. I will find this out next time.

Question - If I am refused entry, will I be able to toss the green card away and enter under a visa waiver as a tourist - and if so how do I reapply for residence?

If I had originally left the US via the foot crossing turnstile at the Tijuana border or to Canada - how would anyone have known i was gone?

If anyone has any informed comment please let me know

Hello,

I have been a us permanent resident since I was 18 back in 1981. Over the last few years I have been working overseas and was wrongly informed by the US consulate that all I needed to do was not stay out of the us more than one year. I have returned to the US once or twice a year for two weeks for the last four years. I have had a few questions from immigration officials and have always told them that I was working overseas and intended to return as soon as possible. This has not posed a problem until last year when an agent sent me to secondary inspection and I was interviewed. I told the agent what was up and he typed for about ten minutes then gave me a passionate speech about how living in the usa was a privilege and not a right and told me that I should file to become a citizen and let me in. He said that I may end up being called to a hearing or having problems next time I come to the us. He did not mention that i cant apply for citizenship until I live back in the US for 5 years.

Having read some posts on the internet I think I will have some problems when I return. I will find this out next time.

Question - If I am refused entry, will I be able to toss the green card away and enter under a visa waiver as a tourist - and if so how do I reapply for residence?

If I had originally left the US via the foot crossing turnstile at the Tijuana border or to Canada - how would anyone have known i was gone?

If anyone has any informed comment please let me know

leaving thru mexico would not leave any trace when you left but you will need a new passport soon after when you decided to come back to the usa ..that way your mexican visa will not be there so there would be no way for anyone to figure out when you left the country ..
mexican authorities do not share anything with uscis ...their system is in chaos and anyways is NOT compatibile with us systems nor they have manpower to process EVERYONE passing at the border to TJ ...you are in the clear for that one ..

Thanks - I take it that if anyone exits from the US to Canada the information that you left is shared US systems?

mexico is definitely sharing data with ice so there is a possiblity that uscis could be involved

never happened....
mexico refuses to identify their own citizens caught by ICE yet alone foreigners passing trough mexico ..they even refuse to validate documents issued by mexico so ice has no way to make positive identification of the individuals who got deported in the past from usa ..thats how much they "cooperate" ..ice and other border agencies often cite cooperation with mexican side frustrating at least ....everything depends of personal contacts ..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are refused an entry , your GC will most likely be taken by immigration authorities (so you won't have a need to "toss" it) and you may be provided with an option to voluntarily execute the abandonment of the GC (see i-407)

three words..DOUBLE DIP RECESSION..so abandoning or tossing your GC might be a very wise decision ..sometimes in life you have to cut your loses and go for the greaner postures