Revalidation Set to End on July 16, 2004

supri123

Registered Users (C)
Gurus !
The new rule from DOS, - Revalidation Set to End on July 16, 2004.
My 3years of H1B be getting over in few months. Will the new rule have any impact on getting my H1B extended for another 3 years.

Thanks for taking time to read. Any help is highly appreciated.

I had a question related to that. Can I still go to Canada and get my h1b visa stamped there or do I need to go back to India period to get my h1b visa?

supri123 said:
Gurus !
The new rule from DOS, - Revalidation Set to End on July 16, 2004.
My 3years of H1B be getting over in few months. Will the new rule have any impact on getting my H1B extended for another 3 years.

Thanks for taking time to read. Any help is highly appreciated.

No impact. DOS has nothing to do with your H1B work permit.
The impact is on getting the visa in your passport, which must be done abroad.

Yes you can !

srini88 said:
I had a question related to that. Can I still go to Canada and get my h1b visa stamped there or do I need to go back to India period to get my h1b visa?

Yes, this option hasn't changed - see
the new regulation.

"you may apply at a U.S. visa processing post in Canada and Mexico provided you have made a visa interview appointment."

So one can work on the approval papers for H-1B extension and doesnt need to necessarily exit the country immediately?

Does it mean that ONLY if one needs the renewed visa to be "stamped" on the passport does he have to go back to home country?

yes that is correct, only if you need the new visa on the passport you got to leave the country.

rkg12345 said:
So one can work on the approval papers for H-1B extension and doesnt need to necessarily exit the country immediately?

Does it mean that ONLY if one needs the renewed visa to be "stamped" on the passport does he have to go back to home country?

That's correct. You don't have to leave the country unless you want the stamp. And you don't need the stamp untill you want to leave the country...

Exemptions for Canadian citizen?

Captain Sparrow said:
No impact. DOS has nothing to do with your H1B work permit.
The impact is on getting the visa in your passport, which must be done abroad.
Hi Captain! I am a Canadian citizen working in the US with a H1-B visa. I am visiting China on July 18 for three weeks. Since the State Department has changed the H visa re-entry rule, do I have to get a re-entry visa in China prior to return US. If we just show up in JFK, what will happen? I was told that under NAFTA, the Canadian citizens are exempted, i.e. can get a I-94 card at the port of entry. But I am not sure this is true. Can you shed light on this issue? Thanks! Your guidance is really appreciated!

Oliver

You don't

yuanqiang said:
Hi Captain! I am a Canadian citizen working in the US with a H1-B visa. I am visiting China on July 18 for three weeks. Since the State Department has changed the H visa re-entry rule, do I have to get a re-entry visa in China prior to return US. If we just show up in JFK, what will happen? I was told that under NAFTA, the Canadian citizens are exempted, i.e. can get a I-94 card at the port of entry. But I am not sure this is true. Can you shed light on this issue? Thanks! Your guidance is really appreciated!

Oliver

You don't need a visa to enter the US. See the Dept. of State instructions.
You should have the passport and valid H-1B approval notice with you. Enjoy your Trip !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Is there any time limit for getting visa stamped in our passport? I heard that we need to get our visa stamped in our passport within one year from old h1 expiry date.

That's correct

goodluck_140 said:
Hi,

Is there any time limit for getting visa stamped in our passport? I heard that we need to get our visa stamped in our passport within one year from old h1 expiry date.
See the regulation: "the Visa Office accepts applications for visa revalidation only if the visa is within one year of its expiration date."

No

goodluck_140 said:
Thanks Captain_Sparrow,

Does the same time limit apply even if we want to get visa stamp in US consulate?
In a US consulate abroad you can get a new visa any time. The limit is just for "visa renewal" within the US.

Revalidation

I applied for my revalidation in St. Louis and was returned with 22i(g) stating to meet the consulate officer. Does this mean that i have to go immediately to my home country and do the revalidation or can i do it when i go for vaccation next time. My I 94 is valid till december 2005

You can stay

san_bin said:
I applied for my revalidation in St. Louis and was returned with 22i(g) stating to meet the consulate officer. Does this mean that i have to go immediately to my home country and do the revalidation or can i do it when i go for vaccation next time. My I 94 is valid till december 2005
No need to go to your home country. You can stay as long as you have a valid I-94.
To get a new Visa stamp, you'll need to travel outside the US. Either to your home coutry, or another consulate by appointment.

Hi
I have a H1 which is valid until 8/26 of this year. My company is filing for a new H1 (had to do this since my job changed this year, so they didn't approve beyond one year). My I-94 also expires on the same date. What do I need to do now? Will I need to leave the country? Do I need to go to my home country (India) or can I go to Canada/Mexico to get the visa stamped once the new approval notice comes through?
Thanks in advance

seinfeld said:
Hi
I have a H1 which is valid until 8/26 of this year. My company is filing for a new H1 (had to do this since my job changed this year, so they didn't approve beyond one year). My I-94 also expires on the same date. What do I need to do now? Will I need to leave the country? Do I need to go to my home country (India) or can I go to Canada/Mexico to get the visa stamped once the new approval notice comes through?
Thanks in advance

If their filing for extension you're OK - no need to leave the country. You'll have to get a visa (In india, Canada or Mexico) only when you travel.
Just see that they apply ASAP so that you'll have the receipt notice by 8/26.

H1B extension processing times are about 6 months. If you may want to travel within the next 6 months, you should apply via premium processing. This costs additional $1000 and processed in two weeks. The (mental) doctors recommend. :)

Another H1B revalidation question

My present I-94 is valid till 20-Sep-2004 and I have already got my extension. Do I have to wait until after my present visa expires to get my visa restamped, or can I do it now? I am an Indian citizen and Canadian PR, visiting Canada frequently.