Revalidation on passport when visa is not expiring

rkanda1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My H1 visa on passport currently expires in Nov 2004. I changed employers recently and got the I-797 approval. Now I am leaving to India in a few days for marriage.

1) Do I have to revalidate my visa on passport with the visa from new employer? I looked up the state department website(http://travel.state.gov/hlop.html) for answers and they say unless your visa expires within 60 days, you need not revalidate and if you do, your application will be returned. But some forums say you should try to be safe and get it revalidated. What should I do? Please advise.

2) I will be applying for H4 depended visa for my wouldbe wife in Chennai. Any ideas about how long does it take to get appointments? Also with regards to my previous question, would not having the right H1 on my passport affect my wife's approval of H4. Please advise.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ravi

rkanda1

Legally speaking you don't require to revalidate your visa at this point of time. You can apply for H4 with current visa and new I797. But b/c of now-a-days situations at chennai consulate there is a chance that consulate may ask you to revalidate when they see your visa & I 797 with H4 application.

You may try your luck by applying to H4 without revalidation of your visa...

If you want to revalidate, you can apply thru drop box n it is taking ~2 weeks. For 1st time H4 u need to take appointment. I saw there are two dates available in august 5 & 29. There are quite lot of dates available in september.

My H1 visa on passport currently expires in Nov 2004. I changed employers recently and got the I-797 approval. Now I am leaving to India in a few days for marriage.

1) Do I have to revalidate my visa on passport with the visa from new employer? I looked up the state department website(http://travel.state.gov/hlop.html) for answers and they say unless your visa expires within 60 days, you need not revalidate and if you do, your application will be returned. But some forums say you should try to be safe and get it revalidated. What should I do? Please advise.
--------- If you have H1 visa sticker till November 2004, you cant revalidate in US through DOS, if you wish you can get new H1 stamp from your home country
2) I will be applying for H4 depended visa for my would be wife in Chennai. Any ideas about how long does it take to get appointments?
------- Please read the other threads, many posts on Chennai consulate and documents they ask and delay in getting H4 visa
Also with regards to my previous question, would not having the right H1 on my passport affect my wife's approval of H4.
------ Please read the other threads related to Chennai or go to website of Chennai consulate and find updated info