• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Returning to original country after getting GC

lopol

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

In April I have an interview appointment for GC, given I successfully complete the interview and I receive my GC for me and my family - can I come back to my original country for six months or more (as much as necessary...), after completing the initial entrance process in the US? The reason is a medical condition of parents which requires my attention... Is this possible? I actually read about something like this before - I just can't remember, I recall this situation is called with a particular term and can be requested in special cases, potentially like mine. Any information is very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do that. If you have to stay for close to a year you need to apply for a re-entry permit which you have to pay for.

Hi there,

Here's my situation:

1). The green card is activated, I've stayed in US for 2 weeks ++ and now I've returned back to my country for another 10-11 months before I can completely move to the United States. The reason is because I have a contract with my current employer, and the contract is gonna end at the end of 2010 or early 2011 (January).

2). I've activated the green card in March 5th. I didn't read about re-entry permit post, and I do admit it's my fault. Now that I'm in my own country, is that possible to apply re-enter permit in my own country? I do not mind to pay for it because I really want it.

3). I'll go back to the US in probably next year Feb - March, almost a year but I'll make sure it will be not more than a year after I activated my green card in 5th March 2010, I'll make sure I'll not go back later than 5th March 2011.

4). Please advise my current situation, because I'm start concern about re-entry and do not want to lost the green card.

Your response and help are appreciated.

TK

Hi there,

Here's my situation:

1). The green card is activated, I've stayed in US for 2 weeks ++ and now I've returned back to my country for another 10-11 months before I can completely move to the United States. The reason is because I have a contract with my current employer, and the contract is gonna end at the end of 2010 or early 2011 (January).

2). I've activated the green card in March 5th. I didn't read about re-entry permit post, and I do admit it's my fault. Now that I'm in my own country, is that possible to apply re-enter permit in my own country? I do not mind to pay for it because I really want it.

3). I'll go back to the US in probably next year Feb - March, almost a year but I'll make sure it will be not more than a year after I activated my green card in 5th March 2010, I'll make sure I'll not go back later than 5th March 2011.

4). Please advise my current situation, because I'm start concern about re-entry and do not want to lost the green card.

TK

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/reentry-permit.html

Hi there,

Here's my situation:

No, it's only possible from the US. So you will need to

TK

Re-entry permits cannot be obtained outside the US, and they advise people to get one if they leave the country for more than six months. So 11 months will definitely raise some red flags considering you left shortly after getting the card. Be prepared to answer questions about why you left, and bring documentation to sustain your story (such as the contract). Any absence over a year without clear ties or proof and they may confiscate the card on the spot, no questions asked. However, since that policy is pretty much completely under discretion of the immigration officer, the same may happen for someone who left only ten months or even six.

If you are financially able, fly back and get a permit. Could be done in a matter of days. Better safe than sorry!

Pardon me, absence can be up to a year. But since it could be hard for you to proof that you have ties to the US (which they can do under any circumstance), I'd go get one. Also, I have to admit I would be overly protective if I had a card.

Hi guys,

Thank you for the response. In my current situation, I'm not allowed to go outside the country for more than a year. I should have done it, but I didn't. I know I have no one to blame but myself. Is that possible for me to contact US Embassy to get atleast some documents to assist me in any way? I still haven't received a green card.

The days from re-entry permit starts counting when I received my green card? Or on the day I arrived in the US airport to activate the green card?

I'm not asking for alternative, but is there any successful examples? I have all the necessary documents to prove why I needed to leave for 11 months.

I was told the re=entry permit can be done in 3 weeks (fastest), and even If I can go back, but I can't stay for more than 3 weeks.

Please advise. I know it's all my fault, no matter how many times I ask the same question the best answer for me is still go back to the states to get the re-entry permit documents.

If anyone has been in the same situation and still able to get the green card with no issues, could you please share your experience? And if you have ever know someone who has the experience, please share.

What's the outcome if they do not accept the reason of why I left for almost one year/one year? Would I lost my green card? But I already have the green card by the time, how can I lost it still even If they don't accept it? Would they take away my green card?

Thank you guys.

TK

Hi guys,

I was wondering, would I consider abandon the green card If I go back to the states after 1 year? or after 6 months? I did read some gov websites stated 1 year or above will be consider the person abandon the green card. So I wanna make it clear, is that 6 months? or one year? If it's after one year, and If I go back in 11 months, or less than a year, would I still consider myself abandon the green card?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I was wondering, would I consider abandon the green card If I go back to the states after 1 year? or after 6 months? I did read some gov websites stated 1 year or above will be consider the person abandon the green card. So I wanna make it clear, is that 6 months? or one year? If it's after one year, and If I go back in 11 months, or less than a year, would I still consider myself abandon the green card?

Thanks!
I don't want to scare you but on other forums some have stated they got issues re entering within a shorter period since the US customs can see how many days you have spent over here and it is up to the customs employee to make the determination...

We know now that Philly and Newark are airports who are giving people more issues then others and maybe you have no issue at all:)

You could also fly a couple of times for a short period which should be no issue at all just some tickets fees.