repeated TN renewals for same company?

kimberlily

Registered Users (C)
My husband has had his TN (Management Consultant) renewed once already for the same company. How likely is it that he will have it renewed again? The employer doesn't know how long they will need his expertise, so they want to renew for another year. In fact, they are prepared to sponsor him for a green card since they'd like to be able to keep him permanently.

He does not qualify for an H1B since he does not meet the education requirements.

Obviously, he doesn't want to be out of status, so he will need to renew his TN before starting the AOS process. I'm just curious as to how likely they will be to renew it since he's already had one renewal for this company. Their lawyer said it is unlikely, but she's been wrong about things before.

I meant to add that he's currently working on getting a Batchelor's Degree, so in about 18 months he'd be able to get an H1B. Not that it helps us when his TN expires though ;)

There is no limit on renewals of TN. many work several years for the same employer on TN.

The lawyer you spoke to is -- in a word -- ignorant of TN, don't listen to another word from her.

Thanks for the feedback nelsona. Hubby is considering hiring his own lawyer since this lawyer needed to be educated during our last renewal.

There is a misconception that the more TN status's you get with the same company the harder it gets. This is not true. I was with the same company for 8 successive TN's. There's a poster (not sure if he's on here) who has had over 13 TN's.

Many go on several years with the same employer and usually either try for the Green Card or move on to another company that will sponser them. So yes it's unlimited...

He should get a foreign credential evaluation done. They will basically grant one year of university for three years of work experience. If you go through FIS in Washington state they will look at everything. The reason for this is he can get an H1B based on a combination of education and work experience.

simsd makes a good point. It doe not apply to TNs of course, but a person working for 12 years can qualify for an H1.