Renewing TN at US-Quebec border

netb2b

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My TN is expiring soon and I am planning to drive to nearest US-Canada border to renew it. This is the third time I am going to renew my TN and used to go to Buffalo-Ontario border in the past, but this year I am planning to drive to Quebec border but don't have any idea which border post to visit via Vermont or Maine.

I am in Maine and if anybody can guide me or share their ideas on the Canada-Quebec border and which one is more suitable to drive to and having TN visa renewed.

Thanks.

Hi,
I had both of my renewals at the US border posts in vermont.
Initially I went to Norton, VT but was denied there some time in 2007.
I went on a weekend evening and the officer there was not at all familiar with the TN visa. He asked lot of questions and asked me to go to another border. Next day I went to the Vermont border on I 87 freeway, where the officer did give me a visa but after a lot of grilling.
For my second TN visa (Change of employer), I went to the vermont border on I 91 (Which is close to Maine - I suppose). Went on a weekend evening around 9:00 PM, and was issued the visa in 5 minutes. Both the borders at I 87 and I 91 have TN visa officers during the day and for me personally, I prefer I 91 POE, because I got it much easier there. It is upto you to choose which one to go.
BTW when are you planning to go for the visa? I am actually due to appear for my visa in March 1st week.
Please share your experience and the border you went with us, once you are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I checked and looks like its almost 5 hours one-way drive to the border from where I live. So I have to drive for almost 10 hours round trip in a day which is too tiring. I am planning now to go to Toronto and then drive to Niagara-Buffalo border to get TN renewed. Also, my wife is not a Canadian national yet and needs to get TD visa stamped at Toronto consulate after I get my renewal.

I will share my experience once I am done at the border.

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that my wife can renew it via mail. What is the procedure of renewing TD, the fee and time?Last year, I booked her appointment with the Toronto consulate and they stamped the visa within 3 days and I did the same this year, but the problem with this procedure is that I have to go to the city of Toronto and have to stay there until I get the work done which wastes lot of time and money. But with what you are saying, I can go alone to the border, renew my TN, return back to US and send my wife passport to US Homeland security office and they can renew her TD.

netb2b,

Why are you driving to the border? Do it by mail.

Unless your TN is straight forward (engineering degree for engineering or accountant to do accounting) have you not read about people being denied renewals at the border?

I heard it can take upto 3 months to renew TN if I sent it by by mail. My professional category comes under Management Consultant in IT field.

Please share your ideas if anybody has renewed TN via mail and how much time it will take. I would be very ideal for me if it can be renewed in a week time or less and will save a trip to Canada.

My visa is expiring on March 1st, 2009 and I think I don't have enough days to mail out.

netb2b

Are you crazy!!!??

That's the worst category to go the border for to get a new/renewal visa. That is the most scrutinized and turned down category at the border these days and in the past. You run a tremendous risk of being denied even though you have had been approved in the past.

Do it by mail or better yet online. If you don't know how then you better get educated on it and fast. You don't have to have it renewed by March 1, but just have the I-129 submitted. If you do it online this week or any time before March 1, then you have have about a month or two to send in your evidence in. In addition to that you can still work for up 240 days legally while your paerwork is being processed. Just don't leave the country until it has been processed.

That Management Consultant Category is theee worst to go to the border with. I would pack my bags as there's a 50/50 chance - no wait 80/20 chance that you would get turned down at the border. If you do it by mail or online then you have an extremely good chance of a renewal - as a matter of fact I have never heard of anybody getting turned down by a mail in or online renewal.

Thanks, how to apply online? Any website which shows the procedure and which documents to attach. My wife is on TD but don't have a Canadian passport yet. Can I apply for her TD via mail after getting my TN renewed or at the same time?

There are also many recent posts on filing the I-129, that are well worth a review. You have plenty of time to file. I couriered my application overnight and received my receipt notice in 4 days, and I am on the exact opposite side of the country from the VSC.

Al

Alta Al, how many days it took to get your TN renewed after you couriered? And how much is the premium processing fee?

I am still not sure, if I get TN renewed via mail, then for my wife TD (she holds a Canadian PR), do I need to book an appointment at Toronto consulate (which I was doing in the past renewals) or can also send her renewal via mail after I get my new TN.