Renewing National Passaport

You also missed my point. THe fact sheet was generated because of colombian embassy's request correct? I meant that if you can go to your embassy and say I want to go back but U.S won't let me..can u check for me?....it may raise some questions in front of USCIS..

9 out 10 embassies of other COPs would hate you if you told them that you are an asylee..Lots even refuse to give you a NP so it was very awkard that ex-asylee went to his COP embassy asking if they could formally ask USCIS about visiting their COP....

Before everything was muddy and releasing a fact sheet may help USCIS if they decide to pursue ex-asylees. I will never go to my COP because I dont have to...but i was talking about whoever needs to go. Lot of times things mess up because of other people. I am not saying its all colombians but I am saying maybe Colombian embassy was that stupid to ask USCIS about people who had said bad things about them..it was very weird for me.

Again I apologize if I offended you but I am giving you my opinion.

ok. thanks. I definitely undestand your opinion and respect it, but it is different now that you mention and embassy involve, now we are talking about Goverment and politics and maybe some of that it's true or not. But it is different that generalize of "Colombian" as a natural people.
I guess we made our point clear about what we wrote.
Better move out of this matter and keep working and help us together (asylees and ex-asylees of any country) in this great forum.:)

I don't mean to turn this into a fight, but colombians are a minority in this forum. Most people that have travelled to their cop's, and share their experiences with us are from other countries, so please blame your frustations on someone else.

I don't mean to turn this into a fight, but colombians are a minority in this forum. Most people that have travelled to their cop's, and share their experiences with us are from other countries, so please blame your frustations on someone else.

The source for fact sheet information was from which country???? I know NO OTHER embassy who would support their citizens when their citizen have bad mouthed them.

Well... You say it was foolish of the Colombian embassy to ask, but on the other hand, what Immigration said was based on their existing laws and regulations and they didn't make a new 'law" because of the fact that people are travelling to their cop's, or because Colombians asked if it was ok to do so.

So, according to your thinking, it is ok to travel without saying nothing, and then come back and say out loud that it is ok to do it,and it is wrong to try to do things the right way, and check with immigration first to avoid any problems in the future.....

W M G, you are a smart person, and we acknowledge your good intentions to help people here, but you sound like "Colombians woke up the monster of USCIS, and now everybody is screwed because of them". I still haven't heard the first case of someone being deported or arrested for travelling to his/her COP, not even getting a letter from USCIS requesting further info about the trip. They may be questioned at POE, but who isn't?

One more thing. Colombian asylees are not being persecuted by the goverment but by other terrorist groups out of the goverment's control, so nobody is badmouthing the Colombian goverment.

If immigration didn't want that any PR based on asylum went to their country, they just could say that it is prohibited. Period.

Have they said that??

Folks, it is common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that some people in this forum think that every person asks asylum because of problems with the government. So, I want to educate you a little bit. Asylum can be requested because of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

Some of these reasons to ask asylum are clearly not related to government. Some people have to leave their countries because of persecution of other groups different or against the government, because of racism, because of religion, etc.

I know most of the people on this forum know this. But for those of you who did not know, I hope it is clear now. :D

It seems that some people in this forum think that every person asks asylum because of problems with the government. So, I want to educate you a little bit. Asylum can be requested because of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

Some of these reasons to ask asylum are clearly not related to government. Some people have to leave their countries because of persecution of other groups different or against the government, because of racism, because of religion, etc.

I know most of the people on this forum know this. But for those of you who did not know, I hope it is clear now. :D

True. Except that to prevail on such an asylum claim you will have to establish that your government is unable or unwilling to control your persecutor. In other words, you have to demonstrate that it is at best incompetent.

As thankful said Govt controls if you are perscuted or not...It always comes back to the government(which inlcudes local & state).

As thankful said Govt controls if you are perscuted or not...It always comes back to the government(which inlcudes local & state).

Want, you and thankful are right. But some governments do not treat bad their citizens as they become asylees in another country. On the contrary, asylee or not, government still care about you and treat you as any other citizen. And if you got asylum based on religion, racism, and you think you can go back to your country for a while, that government will not give you a hard time.

Want, you and thankful are right. But some governments do not treat bad their citizens as they become asylees in another country. On the contrary, asylee or not, government still care about you and treat you as any other citizen. And if you got asylum based on religion, racism, and you think you can go back to your country for a while, that government will not give you a hard time.

Fair enough. Nevertheless it is very strange for the United States government to receive a formal inquiry from another government saying that listen we have some of citizens you granted asylum and they want us to ask you will you mind if they visit us briefly.

Fair enough. Nevertheless it is very strange for the United States government to receive a formal inquiry from another government saying that listen we have some of citizens you granted asylum and they want us to ask you will you mind if they visit us briefly.

As I said before, some governments care for their citizens too much. One purpose of the embassies is to care about their citizens overseas, all of them: workers with H1 visa, tourists or businessmen with B1/B2 visa, asylees, and even illegals.

In the specific case of Colombian asylees -- I'd say 99.9% of us are granted asylum in the U.S. not based on problems with the government, but rather on persecution from paramilitary and rebel forces that operate in the country.

It's easier to criticize than to educate ourselves on different cultures and countries.

The civil war going on in Colombia is older than me, and I'm 36 years old. This war is between guerrillas and civilians. The Guerrilla army is as large as or even larger than the Colombian army. The government does all he can to control this war but there is an organization called Human Right Watch that accuse Colombian government of killing guerrilleros.

It's a tough situation.

And as Don Chinche said, our embassy protects us, as Colombians, and so should yours. We are free to ask our embassy for help as they are our link to US Government.

Some Colombians had a doubt and they tough it was OK to ask our embassy. What’s wrong with that?

It’s not Colombians fault if your government don’t want you any more, or if you can’t renew your passport. We still are Colombians no matter our status and no matter if we become US Citizens.

So my question is answered. YOU are the ones who can’t renew your passport. WE Colombians CAN.

Sorry folks, it’s not Colombian fault.