Renewal Of Refugee Travel Document

pedrop

Registered Users (C)
I am about to renew my RTD. The current one I have does not expire for another 6 months....

I understand I am suppossed to include with my application my current RTD in order to renew it. Does this mean that I cannot use my current RTD for another six months???

Please explain how one goes about renewing RTD without creating a long lapse of time that one cannot travel

Please advise

Well I do not include my RTD with my application. I usually apply 4 months in advance of expiration of my previous RTD (although I should think applying 6 months in advance, the way things are going with INS nowadays).

Previously they always issued me the new RTD without asking for the old one. But last time they sent me a letter requesting them to mail my old RTD, which I did quickly. But good thing with this approach is that you can enjoy your RTD by the time they reach your application (probably 6 months) and if they ask for it, then send it to them. ( by that time your RTD would have already expired or to be expried)

hope this helps,

pedrop said:
I am about to renew my RTD. The current one I have does not expire for another 6 months....

I understand I am suppossed to include with my application my current RTD in order to renew it. Does this mean that I cannot use my current RTD for another six months???

Please explain how one goes about renewing RTD without creating a long lapse of time that one cannot travel

Please advise
Do not do that. Wait until it is about to expire. I sent them the old one 2 month before it expired and these bozos said that they can not issue me 2 RTDs at the same time. I lost 110 dollars at the time. So, wait until may be 3 weeks before expiration.

Renewal Of Rtd

Dear Shamshom,

I am confused by your comments. Lazerthegreat advises to send the application without existing RTD and later send it once USCIS requires it.

You are stating not to apply but until 2 months prior to the RTD expiring but this document is taking in excess of 6 months....

Can you please elaborate on the procedure that you would recommend?

Thank you both Lazerthegreat and Shamshon for your helpful comments

Thanks

Well they never told me that they cannot issue me a new document when old is also valid. They only ask for it back.

for example my old RTd was to expire on May 20, 2004. I had to attend a marriage in cananda in Sept. 04. By carefully examining the time frames, I realized that I have to apply atleast 6 months in advance of proposed travel date. So I applied for RTD in Feb 04, i.e. 4 months in advance of expiry date of current RTD. They never said anything and now its July and my previous RTD has expired. So when the officer will reach my file (hopefully soon) then he will see that my previous document has expired (although it was not expired when I applied) and the most he can do is to request me to send the now expired RTD back to them. I can do that quickly and they issue new one as soon as they receive old one.

So with these INS people you have to think way in advance. Hope my scenario helps you.

Another way to work around this issue is when they asked for Previous RTD, state Misplaced at home. This way if they get around to your application and it has expired then you can send it to them and if it has sometime prior to expiry then RTD can still be misplaced at home and you don't have to submit it.

I have to travel extensively for my work and not having a valid RTD is not something I can afford as majority of my traveling is on last minute notices.

In my personal experience, they have never asked me for it in past four RTD applications. Again, this is just my personal experience and I am not a lawyer.

Regards,

i never mailed my old RTD with the application, never gotten problem, just make a copy of your current RTD page by page!

kaoticfury said:
i never mailed my old RTD with the application, never gotten problem, just make a copy of your current RTD page by page!

Not even page by page, I have sent several times just a copy of the picture page, that should be enough.

pedrop said:
Dear Shamshom,

I am confused by your comments. Lazerthegreat advises to send the application without existing RTD and later send it once USCIS requires it.

You are stating not to apply but until 2 months prior to the RTD expiring but this document is taking in excess of 6 months....

Can you please elaborate on the procedure that you would recommend?

Thank you both Lazerthegreat and Shamshon for your helpful comments

Thanks
Well, if you are going to send them a valid RTD i think there will be no problem even if it is only 6 months old.. my situation was different. i applied for one without sending them the old one and i did that 3 months prior to expiration. However, they say they can not issue me 2 at the same time. again, it depends on individual case worker.

shamshon said:
Well, if you are going to send them a valid RTD i think there will be no problem even if it is only 6 months old.. my situation was different. i applied for one without sending them the old one and i did that 3 months prior to expiration. However, they say they can not issue me 2 at the same time. again, it depends on individual case worker.

So, did they check your papers as soon as they receive your RTD renewal petition? I thought that they start looking at them six months after they receive the application.

Flashington said:
So, did they check your papers as soon as they receive your RTD renewal petition? I thought that they start looking at them six months after they receive the application.
I actually asked them to expedite the application 3 weeks after sending it.

expedite the application

shamshon said:
I actually asked them to expedite the application 3 weeks after sending it.

I never saw any Forms or procedure to expedite the RTD application. Would you please explain how this worked for you? We all know what hassle is this issue for us all...

thanks,
roman

baianolindo said:
I never saw any Forms or procedure to expedite the RTD application. Would you please explain how this worked for you? We all know what hassle is this issue for us all...

thanks,
roman
Ok, i got this idea from a web site that offered to expedite RTDs. I researched the issue and discovered that you can just a write a letter explaining why you want your RTD expedited. So make a title such as "Motion to expedite Refugee Travel Document processing. Then, explain your reasons. They responded faster to me but unfortunately they rejected my RTD because as they put it "they can not issue 2 RTDs at the same time." Hope this helps

Refugee Travel Document

Hi ,

I had applied for a RTD, on July 19th 2004, and got it approved August 3rd, 2004.

I need to travel to UAE dubai. Do you know if I need a visa. How safe is it to travel outside the US. I mean when u come back what sorts of questions the immigration officer asks.

Please let me know this is the first time I will be using my RTD

Uae

I told you guys many times that for the most part, this RTD is not even worth the ink used to printed it. As far as I know from a friend of mine, UAE does not issue visas on Travel documents. But please do not take my word for it; call up their embassy in DC:

1255 22nd Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington DC 20037
Telephone: (202) 243-2400
Fax: (202) 243-2432

* As far as coming back, sorry, I can't answer that question, since the last time I came back using a RTD was prior to 9/11 (it took me less than 2 minute at the airport). Things have changed since then. I could be wrong, but I think they finger print you now.

As far as I know, Dubai is not the right place to be at now. I have read it is a big heaven for corruption, illegal transactions, drug trafficking,.. etc. It is very Islamic so I do not know how much they like Americans. These people seem to be kid-nailing anything with a western association - I would avoid that region completely. :eek:

asyleeUS said:
Hi ,

I had applied for a RTD, on July 19th 2004, and got it approved August 3rd, 2004.

I need to travel to UAE dubai. Do you know if I need a visa. How safe is it to travel outside the US. I mean when u come back what sorts of questions the immigration officer asks.

Please let me know this is the first time I will be using my RTD

asyleeUS,

I have never been to UAE, but in general RTD holders are required to apply for a visa to most countries. There are only a few exceptions. Singapore is one of those countries. The visa processing time varies widely depending on the countries you are visiting. You should contact the embassy or the consulate of the country you are visiting.

I have traveled outside the US three times in the past two years, officers at the port of entry will usually ask questions like how long have you been traveled outside the US, and where did you departure from?

About a month ago, I was required to be fingerprinted on my right index finger when I returned from Southern Europe. Two months earlier, I was not required to do so when I returned from Northern Europe. I don't know if fingerprinting requirement is another discretionary thing.

In general, you will not experience any problems when you return to the US with your valid RTD. The only thing is that you are more likely would need to go to a special room for a stamping. Regarding the line goes, it’s depend on which port of entry you are flying into. JFK Airport in New York is usually very busy. One hour wait is not something unheard of.

BTW, I noticed that you received your RTD in extremely short time. Did you ask for expediting your travel document?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please Help

Thanks all for your reply especiall cchong. I have been checking out websites and calling consulates. Also have emailed UAE consulate.

Yeah I had asked for an expediated RTD. The reaosn was that my asylum just got approved on July 7th, 2004 after a loong long wait as my file was misplaced one year ago and they gave me recommended approval. So I filed intially for EAD and travel doucemnt in last septmeber. I recieved a letter from the DHS in may saying that since i dont have the final approval my application for travel docuemtn will be fortiefied. Since I needed to travel on emergent basis, the lawyer said that I can apply for advance parole since my case is pending. So I applied for advance parole and it was a coincidence that the day I filed for AP, my asylum got approved the very next day. Now the lawyer told me that i need to apply again for RTD. Again I got worried that the wait will be like 7 months but I tried my luck and included a cover letter explaining I need to travel.

My situation is very critical. THe thing is I have filed for my husband's I-730 2 weeks ago. My husband was on an F1 and had to leave back to home country to attend his father's funeral and took my 22 month old baby US CITIZEN with him since I was going to school full time and my asylum was pending. Now he got stuck there as the US CONSULATE DID NOT ALLOW HIM OT COME BACK ON F1 and so is my son.
In the meanwhile my asylum got approved but I cannot go back to the country where I m from so I want to see my baby and husband. It has been six months and I dont know how long it will take him to come back on I-730. thats why I m trying to go for 2 or 3 months but I dont know which is a good place to meet. I wanted to go to UK but my husband did not get visa for UK so I dont know. Please help anyone that knows anything about RTD , countries that dont require visa's etc, I-730 or any way I could have my husband come back with the baby.

thanks

asyleeUS said:
Thanks all for your reply especiall cchong. I have been checking out websites and calling consulates. Also have emailed UAE consulate.

Yeah I had asked for an expediated RTD. The reaosn was that my asylum just got approved on July 7th, 2004 after a loong long wait as my file was misplaced one year ago and they gave me recommended approval. So I filed intially for EAD and travel doucemnt in last septmeber. I recieved a letter from the DHS in may saying that since i dont have the final approval my application for travel docuemtn will be fortiefied. Since I needed to travel on emergent basis, the lawyer said that I can apply for advance parole since my case is pending. So I applied for advance parole and it was a coincidence that the day I filed for AP, my asylum got approved the very next day. Now the lawyer told me that i need to apply again for RTD. Again I got worried that the wait will be like 7 months but I tried my luck and included a cover letter explaining I need to travel.

My situation is very critical. THe thing is I have filed for my husband's I-730 2 weeks ago. My husband was on an F1 and had to leave back to home country to attend his father's funeral and took my 22 month old baby US CITIZEN with him since I was going to school full time and my asylum was pending. Now he got stuck there as the US CONSULATE DID NOT ALLOW HIM OT COME BACK ON F1 and so is my son.
In the meanwhile my asylum got approved but I cannot go back to the country where I m from so I want to see my baby and husband. It has been six months and I dont know how long it will take him to come back on I-730. thats why I m trying to go for 2 or 3 months but I dont know which is a good place to meet. I wanted to go to UK but my husband did not get visa for UK so I dont know. Please help anyone that knows anything about RTD , countries that dont require visa's etc, I-730 or any way I could have my husband come back with the baby.

thanks

asyleeUS,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. You should check with the Germany Consulate. I have learned from this forum that RTD holders do not need visa to visit.

I don't know about I-730 so I am not going to comment on it. What I don't understand is that why your husband needs to get a new F1 visa. Doesn't he already have an F1 visa when he first came to the US. Is his F1 already expired? Did he change college? My understanding is that F1 visa is usally good for the duration of his study as long as everything is remain the same such as he did not change college, etc. Did he ask the US consulate the reason of not granting him a visa? Have your consult with a lawyer in the US? Usually, the initial consulation will not cost very much.

Sorry I can't help much.

Cchong,

My husbands I-20 was expiring on May 31,2004 but he did not have F1 stamp in his passport. He left on Feb 28,2004 with a valid I-20 and i-94 VALID FOR DURATION OF STATUS. 4 yrs ago he had intially come on an B2 status and had it changed to F1 so he never had a passport stamped iwth F1.

When he applied 1 week after he attended the father's funeral, the Consulate general denied him saying that he had gone and changed his status. I consulted the lawyer here and he said the best way for him is now to come thru my asylum since the I-20 has already exprired. I will try for humantarian Payroll for him but I hear there is long wait for hat also.

Yeah Germany does not rquire a visa on RTD but for my husband to come to GERMANY he will need visa which he might not get due to being refused by US consulate and UK. I m tyring for Thailand or Malaysia. Anybody have expereince travelling on RTD on any of these courntires?

Thanks