Renewal by mail and Driver's License

mushy76

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

Our company retains a QUALIFIED lawyer, who knows nothing about TN. He filled for my TN renewal by mail in Feb, and didn't put the copies of my diplomas, thus USCIS asked to submit those. I have submitted those documents. USCIS have received the requested documents on May 30, and they will make the decision within 60 days, i.e. by July 30. I have few concerns:

- My TN visa will expire on July 09, 2007. What will be my status at that time? If I don't receive a response? also what about my wife who has TD visa?

- My Driver's license will also expire on July 09, 2007, as it is depend on the validity of visa.

So what are my options?

Our company retains a QUALIFIED lawyer, who knows nothing about TN. He filled for my TN renewal by mail in Feb, and didn't put the copies of my diplomas

On what basis does he claim to be "qualified"? :rolleyes:

My TN visa will expire on July 09, 2007. What will be my status at that time? If I don't receive a response?

You will remain in status and authorized to work for up to 240 days after July 9th.

also what about my wife who has TD visa?

Please tell me that your so-called lawyer filed for an extension of her TD status.

An I-539 has to be filed for your wife too.

As to your Driver's license, this varies so much from state to state that specific advice is useless. You need to check with your DMV (or better yet, their official website, as DMV window people are notoriously clueless about anything other than the 2 or 3 most common procedures they do) to see how they will address your situation, which is 'TN pending' and 'TD pending -- or should be once she files I-539' (if the state even permitted your wife to get DL without SSN).

Some states give a one time 30-60 day grace period if you are missing documentation when yo ugo for your License, so you may have to avail yourself of that provision.

This is a problem for many TNs who use mail-in renewal for their TN/TD. Most tstes don't cover the 'pending statsus' which usually forces them to get their TN/TDs at the border. Given the problems you are having this year, I might suggest you get this done at the border next year (use the incompetency of the lawyer, and the License issue as leverage to have the trip paid).

Last edited by a moderator: