Renew TD Visa with main TN expired but valid I-94 extensions (I-797A)

JCardenas

Hi all, I have a concern regarding the renewal of a TD visa and I wonder if any of you could share your experience/knowledge with me.

Me and my family all have expired visas (TN for me, TD for the family) with valid I-94 extensions (I-797A).

My wife is planning a short visit to Mexico, during which she will re-apply for new Visas for her and the children. I will stay meanwhile in the U.S. for work reasons.

The question is: do you think she can they apply for TD visas, considering that the main applicant’s (myself) TN visa is expired, but we all have a valid I-797A (approved Extension of Stay)?

Thanks in advance

Thanks, this is comforting and makes sense. However both me and my family are Mexicans (i.e. we have TN2 visas as opposed to Canadian TN1). I don't think this should make a difference but I still wonder if it can be a problem :-S

Your visa status is not important; you have a valid TN, and thus your family is entitled to TD visas.

Foreign spouses of Cdn TN holders always get TD visas based on valid TN status of their spouse -- who NEVER get TN visas.

I was merely pointing out that the TN having a Visa -- Cdn or mexican -- is NOT a prerequisite for the TD to be issued a Visa. TN status is all that is required.