Renew Refugee Travel Document

echeren

Registered Users (C)
I need some help on my situation, i am asylee and currently have a Refugee travel document that expires on May 4, i use the document very frequently since i work offshore, a new project is comming up and will require me to travel before May and stay out for a couple of months as i normally do, my question is, is there anyway i can get my RTD renew before i leave? is there anyway i can get it expedited? would a advance parole or a reentry permit be quick to get? i need some help on this matter, my company is willing to write letter to USCIS to request expedite procedure, would that make a diference? or can i send the request and wait for the document outside the US?, according to the Nebraska processing time chart is only taking about 6 to 8 weeks

Thanks

echeren said:
I need some help on my situation, i am asylee and currently have a Refugee travel document that expires on May 4, i use the document very frequently since i work offshore, a new project is comming up and will require me to travel before May and stay out for a couple of months as i normally do, my question is, is there anyway i can get my RTD renew before i leave? is there anyway i can get it expedited? would a advance parole or a reentry permit be quick to get? i need some help on this matter, my company is willing to write letter to USCIS to request expedite procedure, would that make a diference? or can i send the request and wait for the document outside the US?, according to the Nebraska processing time chart is only taking about 6 to 8 weeks

Thanks

Send your renewal application along with your document right now to uscis and you should receive a new one before you leave.
Good luck

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

echeren said:

Thanks

If you won't need your RTD between now and May 4, then your best bet is to apply for a new one. You will have to mail them back your current RTD, because the form says you can't apply for a new one (I don't think there is such a thing as a renewal) if you are in posession of a valid RTD, unless you mail it back with your application. There should be enought time to do that.

If you are going to need your RTD between now and May 4 and if you have a valid national passport (I wouldn't recommend renewing it!), then you can apply for an advance parole. I don't think USCIS cares if you have a NP, but you will need it to get to the country of your destination, if they give you visa to your NP (if needed), which should be no problem in most cases I guess.

Reentry permit is not an option for you until you become a permanent resident. RP is valid for 2 years, so it's a better option sometimes than RTD - see other threads in this forum on this topic if you are interested.
inline

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have NP

I do have my NP, as a matter of fact, when i travel i always use my NP since there is where i have my bussines visas, i only use the RTD to get back into the states, never had a problem and i had done it many times, since your suggection is to apply for a advance parole, would they give me a advance parole knowing that i have a current RTD? i had seen other post on this forum, that state that you can apply to RTD before it expires, and they will send you letter once they get to your application requesting the old RTD, my main problem is that i do need to travel before march, i will be start travelling before the end of march.

inline said:
If you won't need your RTD between now and May 4, then your best bet is to apply for a new one. You will have to mail them back your current RTD, because the form says you can't apply for a new one (I don't think there is such a thing as a renewal) if you are in posession of a valid RTD, unless you mail it back with your application. There should be enought time to do that.

If you are going to need your RTD between now and May 4 and if you have a valid national passport (I wouldn't recommend renewing it!), then you can apply for an advance parole. I don't think USCIS cares if you have a NP, but you will need it to get to the country of your destination, if they give you visa to your NP (if needed), which should be no problem in most cases I guess.

Reentry permit is not an option for you until you become a permanent resident. RP is valid for 2 years, so it's a better option sometimes than RTD - see other threads in this forum on this topic if you are interested.
inline

one more thing, on the I131 application says:NOTE:
If you are a refugee or asylee and have not filed an
adjustment of status application, you cannot apply for
advance parole. You must request a refugee travel
document before departing from the United States. (See
instructions on
Page 4
"Where to File," item A.

I have not submited my adjustment of status yet, would they process advance parole for me, or should i apply for adjustment and at the same time send the request for advance parole?

echeren said:
I do have my NP, as a matter of fact, when i travel i always use my NP since there is where i have my bussines visas, i only use the RTD to get back into the states, never had a problem and i had done it many times, since your suggection is to apply for a advance parole, would they give me a advance parole knowing that i have a current RTD? i had seen other post on this forum, that state that you can apply to RTD before it expires, and they will send you letter once they get to your application requesting the old RTD, my main problem is that i do need to travel before march, i will be start travelling before the end of march.

Yes, you can apply for an advance parole even if your RTD is still valid. I did the same thing in 2004. Since then I haven't looked at the form, so read it well before you apply in case it has changed. Good luck.

echeren said:
one more thing, on the I131 application says:NOTE:
If you are a refugee or asylee and have not filed an
adjustment of status application, you cannot apply for
advance parole. You must request a refugee travel
document before departing from the United States. (See
instructions on
Page 4
"Where to File," item A.

I have not submited my adjustment of status yet, would they process advance parole for me, or should i apply for adjustment and at the same time send the request for advance parole?

I assumed you have submitted I-485 already (what are you waiting for, man? :)
I think you will need to file I-485 first, then wait for receipt notice (I got mine within 2 weeks, but you have to make sure that you mail everything they need) and then file I-131 together with a copy of that receipt.
This complicates it for you little bit, maybe you should consider RTD instead after all.
Also, my experience with an advance parole is that I got 2 confirmed forms back from USCIS and each was valid for one travel. So I got to travel only 2x with my AP. You can send them however maybe 5 forms with 5 photographs and request a multiple entry AP and they should return 5 APs back to you. (I sent only 2 photographs, so no wonder...). I recommend sending a letter from your employer with the application explaining that you need to travel on business frequently.

what do you think about this, do the 485 application and wait for the recipt, then apply for the advance parole and get the 2 entries, i don't think that i need more than 2 since my stays are usually long, then once i get the advance parole, send the unexperid (or experided by then) RTD and then apply for a new RTD, i just want to make sure that i have something to cameback with, in case i need to. i should not even need it, since evrey trip i make is usually 2 months, but just in case anything comes up, i want to be on the safe side

Just ask your company write a letter and request expedited treatment. Do not make it harder than it needs to be.

echeren said:

You can do 2 things.

1)Send your old RTD along with new application and put a letter for "expedited processing". Chances aren't that good since many people do this.

2. Send your application WITHOUT attaching the old RTD and attach a letter that you can give them if they need it. I did that last year and they sent me a new RTD without requesting the old one which was still valid.

echeren said:
what do you think about this, do the 485 application and wait for the recipt, then apply for the advance parole and get the 2 entries, i don't think that i need more than 2 since my stays are usually long, then once i get the advance parole, send the unexperid (or experided by then) RTD and then apply for a new RTD, i just want to make sure that i have something to cameback with, in case i need to. i should not even need it, since evrey trip i make is usually 2 months, but just in case anything comes up, i want to be on the safe side

You could do that. The timing is pretty tight though and with USCIS you never know. You could also do what Wantmygcnow suggested - apply for a new RTD and send a letter with it telling them that you can mail current valid RTD upon request.
Good luck.

I have not submited my adjustment of status yet, would they process advance parole for me, or should i apply for adjustment and at the same time send the request for advance parole?[/QUOTE]

I applied for adjustment of status and RTD at the same time in Jan 2005 (put both applications in the same envelope) and got my RTD in a week!
It may work for AP, though I am not sure.