Renew my Green Card without spouse

Mr Mef

Registered Users (C)
I was married for more than 2 years then we got a divorce, I have a temporary green card that will expire 11/2011. Our divorce is final and I would like to renew my green card/remove the temporary status. We were married for over a year before we even filled for AOS so while we did have a bank account my SS# was never on that, she also had the cable bill in her name too, and after I got my SS# I never thought to go ahead and add it to those services. When she left she made sure she knew everything that I would need and she took it, all the bank statement, cable bills, even our marriage certificate and my birth certificate {which she later gave back the latter}. She had changed the password and closed the bank account.

Obviously this was a real marriage or I would have had sense to make sure I had all of those things that I would need as proof before I left the marriage. I can get an affidavits from friends saying the marriage was real and while we never signed a lease I am still living at the same address that we were living at and I was living there before we got married so I can get the landlord to get me a notarized letter saying that we indeed lived there together.

What else can I do to help my case/ Do I need a lawyer?

I do have a mental health problem that I would not be able to get help for If I were to be deported to my country of origin, Should I mention that?

Thank you and I hope this is in the right section.

What else can I do to help my case/ Do I need a lawyer?

I do have a mental health problem that I would not be able to get help for If I were to be deported to my country of origin, Should I mention that?

Thank you and I hope this is in the right section.

Get as much evidence as you can get including affidavits, pictures, anything showing the bona fides of your marriage. In your case I recommend a lawyer because your evidence appears very weak.

Good luck!

USCIS will not care about it and mentioning it will actually appear as if you are desperate to stay in the US and willing to use any excuse. Just document all you can that shows there was financial cohabitation while the marriage lasted. Good luck!!!

Regarding the marriage certificate, I dont know what state youre in but in Texas, we had to take the marriage certificate down to the County recorders office and they recorded the date and made a copy of it. Maybe they have something similar to that in your state. Good luck on your endeavors.

Sorry for late response but does anyone know a good Immigration Lawyer? I cannot afford to pay much because I spent all my life savings and some on a divorce lawyer, its starting to look hopeless.

If applied and I got denied, what happens next? Deportation process or will I just be out of status?

you have to prove to the uscis official:
1. the marriage is true and pure.
2. you had no fault during the marriage and divorce is not what you want.

If you get denied, you will be out of status. There are so many out-of-status immigrants on this land, what do you worry for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your name was on the account, you may be able to get the bank to print out some of the statements for you. Showing your ID and the debit card should be good enough for them to look up the account.