Relocated to India, US citizen want to adopt....Please help

jrao124

Registered Users (C)
hi,

My husband is a US citizen (since the past year or so), I'm an Indian citizen on Green card. We relocated to India about 2.5 years ago. We have no intention of going back to the US. We have applied for adoption here in India. A few days ago, the central agency asked us if we were Indian citizens and I told her that my husband is not. They now want us to go through the inter-country adoption route although we have been living in India.
This is a long route and we dont know what to do.
My question is, does our case come under foreign adoption (there is a huge number of forms and formalities) or domestic adoption?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
J Rao

It requires that countries who are party to the adoption Convention held in Hague establish a Central Authority to be the authoritative source of information and point of contact in that country. The Department of State is the U.S. Central Authority for the Convention.

hi,

My husband is a US citizen (since the past year or so), I'm an Indian citizen on Green card. We relocated to India about 2.5 years ago. We have no intention of going back to the US. We have applied for adoption here in India. A few days ago, the central agency asked us if we were Indian citizens and I told her that my husband is not. They now want us to go through the inter-country adoption route although we have been living in India.
My question is, does our case come under foreign adoption (there is a huge number of forms and formalities) or domestic adoption?
J Rao

Is your husband a "greencard holder" in India? Is he an "overstay" in India? Is he an illegal alien in India?

What does the Indian government demand for a foreigner to adopt in India? Where does the child come from or are you just placing yourself in the hanmds of the Indian adoption Authorities? Are you aware that adoption under Indian Law is highly restricted by religion and existing family composition?

If you are a U.S. LPR and have lived abroad for 2.5 years, you have lost staus and would have to reapply for new status.

Updates?

My husband and I are in almost the same situation. Would like to hear any updates on your case? where are you with the adoption process?

hi,

J Rao