Relinquished US citizenship - treated any differently?

cjdj

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I searched but couldn't find anything.

This is purely a hypothetical question out of curiosity, I'm not even a US citizen yet, although I will be later this year if all goes well.

I'm just wondering that if someone were to relinquish their US citizenship, would that cause any difficulties later on in life if/when that person tries to do things like enter the US for a holiday, or apply for a US visa or even a green card. Would they be treated just like any other foreign national, or is the treatment for former US citizens different (in a negative way)?

I would think if you give up citizenship (not when USCIS takes it away from you), you will be fine later on if you try to obtain visa/GC/Citizenship.

With many countries allowing dual citizenship (in some form) why would you need to give up?

Thanks for your reply, I guess I was just looking for some reassurance.

The only reason I can think of to potentially give up US citizenship would be to avoid forever having to deal with US taxes should I one day move back to my home country (Australia).

So hopefully such a drastic action wouldn't ever be necessary, but if it does ever turn out to be, I'd just hate to do anything that would jeapordize my chances of visiting the US again.

I don't believe you would be subject U.S. taxes because you are taxed based on where you live - not what country you are a citizen of.

Think about it - right now you are in the U.S. and subject to U.S. taxes - not Australian ones.

After going through everything to become a citizen, I have no idea why you would give it up. If that's the case then why bother with citizenship? Just stay a permanent resident.

First thing, you do have to file 1040 if you are a US citizen. You may not have to pay taxes in many cases if you have paid them in the country you are located (You get credit for those taxes) There is a limit though. After certain amount you may have to pay taxes in US.

Do check other forums (There are many) that deals with the issue of US citizens living abroad. It is fairly common and not all of them give up citizenship. Infact, this is never the reason for giving it up. There are ways to handle that.

I have recently read that a former US citizen may still have to pay US income taxes for a period of ten years after giving up his/her citizenship.
This was initiated after too many rich Americans gave up their citizenship to avoid US taxes.

Unless a person goes overseas and earns what just about amounts to an absolute fortune, I can see no reason to give up citizenship, especially after jumping through all these hoops. Heck, I wouldn't even give it up if I was earning a fortune - some things are worth more than money; I'd suggest this is one of them. No-one knows the future - a person may wish to return to the USA one day (even if unforeseen) - and what a pain in the behind it would be to have to go through the whole procedure again....if indeed they would let you do it all again, after giving it up.....