Registering to vote

fbanna79

Registered Users (C)
For those of you who have been naturalized last week or this week, have you already registered to vote ? I have filled out an application the last week but I still cannot retrieve my information from their system. Is it normal ? how long does it take to receive the card in North Carolina ? :confused:

The deadline is this Friday and I don't want to miss the vote in case my application is lost.

Thanks

For those of you who have been naturalized last week or this week, have you already registered to vote ? I have filled out an application the last week but I still cannot retrieve my information from their system. Is it normal ? how long does it take to receive the card in North Carolina ? :confused:

The deadline is this Friday and I don't want to miss the vote in case my application is lost.

Thanks

Sadly, it is backlogged as it is closer to election date. I received my voter registration card in two months after I registered to vote. this is Maryland.

but I think you will get it soon before election date because they have started to add more staff to process your registering.

At least in California (Santa Clara county), getting the card takes a long time, six weeks or more in my case, and this was not in an election year. However, I would guess that worse comes to worse you can vote with a provisional ballot. You have done the important step of registering, their backlog is not in your control, so as I say, if your name doesn't show in the list on the polling station where you are supposed to vote then ask for a provisional ballot and explain your situation (or the other way around) ;)

I guess this will apply to million people also who register in big events like naturalization ceremonies.

Keep in mind that we're about a month away from a historical presidential election, so there's a general influx of people (not just new citizens) who are rushing to complete their voter registrations. Delays are definitely to be expected.

Can one register and vote at early vote registration place if the card does not come ?

From what I understand, certain places allow that. However, you can go directly to your local Board of Elections and register in person.

First of all. I think you guys are giving too much importance to the voter registration card. I am not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but in Santa Clara county that card or postcard is completely useless. It is just proof of your registration but it is not needed to vote.

My take on this is the following:.

1. If you have registered on time, you might be able to check online if your registration has gone through. At least in Santa Clara county there is a way to check your registration online.

2. If you have registered on time, but neither the card or the online tools acknowledge this, show up at the polls on election day and vote with a provisional ballot. If everything is kosher your vote will count.

I am not sure about those early voting places. Here in Santa Clara county there are two choices:

1. Vote by mail
2. Vote on the polling place on election day.

Vote by mail allows you also to fill out the vote and drop it at a box on the registrar office, or drop it in a box on any polling station on election day.

I am not sure what fbanna79 question means, but I would be happy to vote in this election, either early or on election day. What would be the issue if you need to vote on election day? I think it is also a good feeling to experience the vibrancy of going to the polling station, at least on your first vote. My advice would be not to overcomplicate things. You have registered, see if you can check your registration status by phone or online and if need be, vote at the polling station.

Can one register and vote at early vote registration place if the card does not come ?

Fbanna79,

I don't see my registration online yet. do you see yours?
did you try early voting? Do I need to take any proof of citizenship while going for voting? Because my Natz certificate is with passport application.

Let me know how you are pursuing this. I am excited to vote.

You and Bobsmyth are my key references for all these processes and timelines, as you both are from Durham DO. :)

Thanks,
Newbie001.

My registration is now online. I registered on 10/01/2008, but it showed online just last thursday.

I have not yet voted, as I am right now in Tampa for a conference. I will vote this Friday when I get back to Raleigh.

I talked to someone at the Durham Board of Elections. Show up with your proof of citizenship, a proof of addresse (Driver License is enough) and you can register and vote at the early registration places. check the Board of Election website for details.