Regd. Visa stamping when employer is changed

Dhoorjati

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have changed my company in October 2005. My previous visa (H1B) is valid till June 2007. Once my new Visa is approved, should I go for stamping if I go to India before June 2007? I am hearing different opinions on this. Can someone give me the latest guidelines in this case?

Thanks,
Dhoorjati.

If I get what you are saying correctly, I guess you transferred your H1 to a new company and the old company's visa stamp in your passport is valid till June 2007, right ?. In that case, you don't need to go for stamping in India before June 2007. While entering US, your I-797 and existing visa stamp from the old company should be just fine. After June 2007, you would need to get the extension stamped.

Bottom Line : You need to get stamped only after your current visa stamp expires. So you are fine till June 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regd : VISA Stamping when employer is changed

Hi,

I too am in a similar situation and I think what Rajeeb is saying is correct.

Infact, I have heard that you cannot get a stamping done earlier than 2 months before your current VISA expires.

Anyway, I am getting this confirmed from my company's lawyer to make it doubly sure. I will get back when I hear again.

Cheers

Re : Regd. Visa stamping when employer is changed

Hi Rajeeb/Shekar,

Thanks for the immediate reply. I have another query regarding stamping. I heard that we can go for stamping in Chicago when we apply for extension. Is this true. I am just curious.

Regards.

Regd : VISA Stamping when employer is changed

I have never heard of getting a VISA stamped from within the country. You will have to either go to Canada or Mexico.

Cheers

Regd: Visa stamping when employer is changed

Thanks for the reply. Yet another question. My passport will be expiring in Nov, 2006. I think I can send my passport to Embassy office in Chicago and get a new passport. But, the visa is stamped in my current passport. How will they do stamping in the new passport. Should I carry both the passports while travelling to India? Pl. let me know.

Regards.

Dhoorjati said:
Thanks for the immediate reply. I have another query regarding stamping. I heard that we can go for stamping in Chicago when we apply for extension. Is this true. I am just curious.
Used to be allowed to get stamp at St. Louis, but it was terminated.

Should I carry both the passports while travelling to India? Pl. let me know.
You need to carry both passport when you enter the US.

I am not up-to-date on this, but my employer said long ago that I could get my new H1 stamped by mailing everything to some office in Washigton DC. But now it appears one has to go to Canada/Mexico to get it done.
My questions are:
1. Is there really no other way to way to get new H1 stamped (due to change of employer) within US?
2.How is the experience of people getting it done in Canada? Where in Canada do we need to go if there are many good choices?

Thanks in advance .
vkv

Visa stamping/ employer changed

My situation is similar but I guess there is a small difference.

I transferred my H1 to a new company and the old company's visa stamp in my passport and is valid till Jan 2007....

BUT, my H1 was filed as a programmer earlier and now it is filed as recruiter since I changed my careerpath.

In case, I go to India before Jan 2007 do I need to go for stamping in India?
My company lawyer has told me that I do need to go for stamping

Stamping when the employer changed

:confused:

My Visa is approved now and is valid till October, 2007. On the Visa, I got the new I-94 attached. Now, If I visit India before October, 2007, should I go for stamping?

Pl. let me know.

No need to go for stamping!

Dhoorjati said:
:confused:

My Visa is approved now and is valid till October, 2007. On the Visa, I got the new I-94 attached. Now, If I visit India before October, 2007, should I go for stamping?

Pl. let me know.