Regarding Interview process & Selective Service Registration

ranapratap12

Registered Users (C)
Is 2 hours a normal duration for interview process (that's what it says in the interview letter). I heard many people on the forum saying it takes about 10 minutes.

I was on student and H1B visa between and during the age of 18 and 26. Do i need to worry about the selective service registration evidence at all.

Thanks for your reply in advance

Is 2 hours a normal duration for interview process (that's what it says in the interview letter). I heard many people on the forum saying it takes about 10 minutes.

I was on student and H1B visa between and during the age of 18 and 26. Do i need to worry about the selective service registration evidence at all.

Sounds like they included possible waiting time before actual interview as part of estimate.

I think they want you to make a 2 hr block in your day in case they are running late etc. My interview took 10 minutes but I had to wait 90 minutes for it to happen.

If you were in any status except as a legal non immigrant (F1, H1 etc), you don't need to worry. Please read the instructions again to double check.

Let me rephrase the question. Do i need to get the letter from SSS at all, as i wasn't required to register as i got my GC at age of 27 and prior to that i was on F1 and H1B visa.

What happens if i don't take any letter from SSS, Can i using my visa documents and passport prove that i wasn't required to register for selective service?

Let me rephrase the question. Do i need to get the letter from SSS at all, as i wasn't required to register as i got my GC at age of 27 and prior to that i was on F1 and H1B visa.

What happens if i don't take any letter from SSS, Can i using my visa documents and passport prove that i wasn't required to register for selective service?

If you rcvd your GC after 26 and were in F1, H1 etc before that, you were not required to register for selective service and don't need a letter. By all means, go ahead and get it if you want to.

If you rcvd your GC after 26 and were in F1, H1 etc before that, you were not required to register for selective service and don't need a letter. By all means, go ahead and get it if you want to.

However... obtaining a status letter can be useful if you find yourself needing to prove that you were never out of status while on the student visa, and hence were not registered when you should have been. i.e. in the unfortunate circumstance of finding yourself up in front of a "picky" IO, you may be required to prove you weren't required to register with SSA.