Refugee admissions for FY 2003

Item #2

Alan,

About item #2

2. The authorization of an additional 10,000 refugee admissions numbers to be made available for the adjustment to permanent resident status of persons who have been granted asylum in the United States;

What is it about? "persons who have been granted asylum in the United States"

Aren't we that type of persons?

I think this nothing other than authorizing the anually 10,000 asylees to adjust to permanent status

siddig

The quota is not authorized nor approved yet. By this memo, President Bush is authorizing the Secretary of State to consult with Congress the refugee admission numbers.
After consultation with Congress, President Bush will issue a Presidential Determination authorizing the refugee admissions and the 10,000 quota for asylees as well.
Only then, INS will be authorized to adjudicate the 10,000 quota for asylees for FY 2003.
This is a routinary process that was altered last year, because of 9-11, when the PD was approved by Thanksgiving (I posted a thread about this last year).
Normally, the PD is approved on October 1st each year, and I expect that to happen this year.

cookiemonster

Because is in addition to the refugee admissions referred in paragraph 1. In other words, President Bush is proposing 70,000 refugee admissions to be allocated by geographic regions (paragraph 1) and additionally, 10,000 refugee admissions to be used for asylum adjustment (paragraph 2) which is what really matters for us.
Once the PD is approved, INS will process 10,000 visas for us in FY 2003.

simple

In item 1, Bush says that "I am going to admit up to 70,000 refugees to America next year". Then in item two, he says that "on top of that, I will shell out 10,000 (which is the maximum I can give out) for the benefit of asylees".

So the 10,000 is in addition to the 70,000, making the total refugee numbers for next year 80,000.
Originally posted by cookiemonster
Alan,

But in the item #2 it says "The authorization of an additional 10,000 ....." Why additional?

thanks alan,
this actually what I meant, that the 10000 is nothing other than the anual quota, but I didn't know the mechanism of it.

Guys, don't dream about ADDITION OR SOMETHING ELSE. We only have 10,000 quota every year. Our only hope is the new bills.

My information is that some senators are privately asking for a higher number and delaying the process a bit. The White House should make a final decision shortly. When it does, a lot of us here should get our approval.

Re: Additional

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Alan,

But in the item #2 it says "The authorization of an additional 10,000 ....." Why additional?
The way i understood it is a yearly quota of 10,000 + additional 10,000=20,000 altogether might be the likely numbers of adjustment to permanent residence.Other than that, there is no any other logic explanation in item # 2.

Dangdang

Unfortunately, not yet. And this means that INS is not authorized yet to adjudicate the 10,000 visas for FY 2003.
Last year, because of the 9-11 the Senate asked to verify if the Identity Verifcation System was updated prior to approve the proposed numbers.
The presidential determination was finally issued on November 21, 2002. For all previous years the PD's were issued on October 1st.
I have sent faxes to the Senate Comittee of the Judiciary and Subcommitte on Immigration inquiring for the status of the memo issued by President Bush. No answer yet

Sessanga Charlessa

Unfortunately that is the wrong interpretation. Over the years the text of this memo has been the same (except for the numbers of course) and always meant only 10,000 visas for us.
Read messages posted by TimZ, Gilbert and myself, explaining why they use the word "additional".

Re: Re: Additional

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
The way i understood it is a yearly quota of 10,000 + additional 10,000=20,000 altogether might be the likely numbers of adjustment to permanent residence.Other than that, there is no any other logic explanation in item # 2.

WE SHOULD STOP KIDDING OURSELVES. ONE, OUR GREENCARDS WILL NOT BE BACKDATED TO THE ORIGINAL ASYLUM GRANT DATE. TWO, ONLY 10000 OF US CAN GET GREEN CARDS EVERY YEAR. AGAIN ONLY 10000. DO NOT ENGAGE IN WISHFUL THINKING.
GEORGE BUSH HAS NO POWER TO GO ABOVE 10000 EVEN IF HE WANTS TO. TO CHANGE THAT NUMBER, THE SENATE AND HOUSE NEED TO PASS A BILL AND BUSH NEEDS TO SIGN IT. ZERO CHANCE FOR THAT NOW.

Dangdang

And the 10,000 quota has to be approved every year through a Presidential Determination, which has not been approved yet for FY 2003.
In other words, the 10,000 quota is not automatically approved. There is a procedure to follow to get it approved. Please read my answer to your question regarding status of memo issued by President Bush.

Gilbert

Originally posted by Gilbert
My information is that some senators are privately asking for a higher number and delaying the process a bit. The White House should make a final decision shortly. When it does, a lot of us here should get our approval.
My guess is that they are asking for a higher number for refugees, I mean item 1 of President Bush memo, right?
So, the 10,000 quota for us (item 2 of the memo) is to remain the same. My understanding is that this can not be changed through a PD.

Re: Gilbert

Originally posted by alanpero1

My guess is that they are asking for a higher number for refugees, I mean item 1 of President Bush memo, right?
So, the 10,000 quota for us (item 2 of the memo) is to remain the same. My understanding is that this can not be changed through a PD.

Alanpero,

You are exactly right. They are asking for a higher refugee number to make up for last year when only about 20,000 of the 70000 refugee number were actually used. It does not affect us at all. Our number is stuck at 10,000 as a matter of law.

A littel fantasy. It would be nice if Congress changed the law to allow asylees to use unused refugee numbers from previous years.