Reentry Permit

UVishwanath

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

Kindly let me know whether Reentry Permit is to be dated prior to the date of leaving U.S. by a G.C. holder, or it is sufficient if I apply for that just before leaving the U.S. and my relatives staying here can obtain the same on my behalf. Secondly, can you please tell me the average time taken for the issue of the R.Permit.?

Read the instructions for I-131. It is clearly written that departure from the United States before a decision is made does not affect the application if applying for a re-entry permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
UVishwanath said:
Hi friends,

Kindly let me know whether Reentry Permit is to be dated prior to the date of leaving U.S. by a G.C. holder, or it is sufficient if I apply for that just before leaving the U.S. and my relatives staying here can obtain the same on my behalf. Secondly, can you please tell me the average time taken for the issue of the R.Permit.?
It takes long time to get the reentry permit. It took more than a year for my parents. Though it was about 3 years ago.

Advance Parole

Is re-entry permit advance parole? if so are we required to have a approval in hand before we leave. I willing filling for AP for my parents as they want to travel soon.

E-File I-131????

hi, I Was Wondering If It Is Possible To E-file The Re-entry Permit From Abroad? I Guess There Is Supporting Evidence To Mail In, And I Can Mail That From The Usa As I Will Be Back After 6 Weeks, But I Wanted To Get The Permit Started As Soon As Possible Since It Takes So Long. Also Have Read That The E-filing System Is Not The Best, And Might Be Better To Apply On Paper And Send All Documents At The Same Time? Anyone Filed This Recently And Have Any Insight? Thanks! :)

doc75 said:
Is re-entry permit advance parole? if so are we required to have a approval in hand before we leave. I willing filling for AP for my parents as they want to travel soon.
Re-Entry permit and Advance Parole are two different thing. Though same form is being used for both of them.
Green Card holder can file the re-entry permit if they with to stay abroad for more than 11 months at a time to maintain their GC. They can file and leave the country. If they don' receive the approval within 11 months, they have to come back.
Advance Parole is for cases where I 485 is pending and wish to travel abroad. You need approval in hand before you leave the country. Over stayed should not travel outside on this.

kmp1 said:
hi, I Was Wondering If It Is Possible To E-file The Re-entry Permit From Abroad? I Guess There Is Supporting Evidence To Mail In, And I Can Mail That From The Usa As I Will Be Back After 6 Weeks, But I Wanted To Get The Permit Started As Soon As Possible Since It Takes So Long. Also Have Read That The E-filing System Is Not The Best, And Might Be Better To Apply On Paper And Send All Documents At The Same Time? Anyone Filed This Recently And Have Any Insight? Thanks! :)
You can check the USCIS website for efiling information. But if your GC holder and just want to stay out side for 6 weeks, you don't need re-entry permit. :rolleyes:

amishah said:
You can check the USCIS website for efiling information. But if your GC holder and just want to stay out side for 6 weeks, you don't need re-entry permit. :rolleyes:

Hi -- No I understand that -- ok I will clarify my question -- I am doing two trips -- one is 6 weeks (which I'm on now) and then i'll be back and the other will be 22 months. I was wondering if I can E-file while I am outside the USA now -- reason I ask is, I have read that it must be filed while IN the US BEFORE leaving, but I wondered if the same applies to filing online? Reason is, I want to get it started NOW, rather than when I return in 6 weeks (before my long 22 month trip)

kmp1 said:
Hi -- No I understand that -- ok I will clarify my question -- I am doing two trips -- one is 6 weeks (which I'm on now) and then i'll be back and the other will be 22 months. I was wondering if I can E-file while I am outside the USA now -- reason I ask is, I have read that it must be filed while IN the US BEFORE leaving, but I wondered if the same applies to filing online? Reason is, I want to get it started NOW, rather than when I return in 6 weeks (before my long 22 month trip)
Ok now I got your point. But until you don't send your supporting document the process won't start. So the 6 weeks won't count. And who knows what they will do to the application if they won't receive the Supporting Doc till 6 weeks. There might be a timeline in which you have to submit the SD.

Ok, I see your point. Did you e-file when you did your I131? Or send it in all together.? Also, does the process take longer if I have the permit sent overseas? Or should I have it sent to my address in the USA and have someone forward it to me?
Thanks for your replies

kmp1 said:
Ok, I see your point. Did you e-file when you did your I131? Or send it in all together.? Also, does the process take longer if I have the permit sent overseas? Or should I have it sent to my address in the USA and have someone forward it to me?
Thanks for your replies
I filed for Re-Entry Permit for myself in 1998 and I just signed the form. My Dad did everything so I don't remeber anything. But I didn't do the online because it was to there at that time. Read the instructions, see if you can file from overseas. I doubt it.

Re-Entry permit

When did this law come into affect that you had to apply for an re-entry permit if you are going to be away for more than 1 year.

In my family, all of my sister's inlaws have greencard and they only come to US every 2 years, they were never stopped for entering in US.

Is this a stringent law, or a warning type of law where you are warned and next time if it happens then the green card is revoked? I say this because my Sister's relatives were never asked any questions while going through US Customs but my mother in law who is currently visiting us was asked why she was away for more than 13 months from US.

Anyhelp on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

indianinnj said:
When did this law come into affect that you had to apply for an re-entry permit if you are going to be away for more than 1 year.

In my family, all of my sister's inlaws have greencard and they only come to US every 2 years, they were never stopped for entering in US.

Is this a stringent law, or a warning type of law where you are warned and next time if it happens then the green card is revoked? I say this because my Sister's relatives were never asked any questions while going through US Customs but my mother in law who is currently visiting us was asked why she was away for more than 13 months from US.

Anyhelp on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Very surprising about your in-laws. My parents used the re-entry permit 3 times and they were asked a lot at POE. They have let the GC go and now applying for visitor visa as they don't want to settle here.

What is the site, where i could apply for re-entry permit?!

What is the site, where i could apply for re-entry permit?!