Recent experience with family-based immigration application at NBC?

N400 applicant said:
Hi,
I am in a similar case like you.
I have applied in March 2005 for AOS. I have applied through Dallas DORA and hence could not apply for EAD(765) and AP(131) with the AOS(485) and 130 application.
The office though told me in case of extreme emergency I can apply for EAD and AP.

My question is that how did you get an infopass appointment for AP.
I mean what option did you select in the infopass website to get an appoinment for AP.
What information did you take along with you to prove your emergency need for AP.
lastly, did they issue AP the same day and give it to you in hand and did they tell they will mail it out to you.
Also did you apply for EAD the same day ?

Thank you very much for your time and answer

I have selected " You have a question about your case" option.
you can select ''You wish to speak to an immigration officer" option too.
as long as you get an appointment,it doesn't matter which option you select.We applied I131 for my wife. Since my wife's mother having an operation in may ,we needed emergency AP.We had an report from my wife's mother's doctor,saying that my wifes mother has to have an operation in may and all the documents we have sent to chicago lockbox.
they didn't issue an AP right away.since our aplication has been submitted to MCS immigration officer sent an e-mail to MSC to expidite our AP.
she said it might take 2-3 weeks to get the AP . we have been waiting since then but no news yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you, I would have just filed for an regular AP with all other forms at Chicago and once I get receipt for them I would have gone to DO with all the medical reports for Emergancy AP. Because as far as I know, emergancy AP is issued by your local DO.
Please correct me, if I am wrong.

I think what he's saying is that they wouldn't issue an emergency AP since he had already applied for AP at MSC with his AOS.

Even if he is saying that since he has filed for AP, he wouldn't get emergancy AP then its not true. Emergancy AP is like intrim EAD. If you have file for AP and its not approved and he needs to travel in emergancy then he has to get Emergancy AP.

DO offices can't issue an AP before the applicant finishes his/her biometrics
at the DO office.They issued an AP(emergency) after my wife finished her
biometrics at may 3rd.

I-485 2A (spouse of a permanent resident)

Sent in package on 4-29 to CIS via certified mail.

Waiting since.

Hope for a quick happy end to adventure started in September 2000...

FP and biometrics

finally done. Its been hard seeing other cases moving along when all i could do was sit and wait for a month.
anyway i'm all smiles and have only good thing to say about the jacksonville ASC staff, hope my AOS interview goes as smoothly

sent in application package to Chicago on April 25.

Still waiting. Checks are not cashed and no receipt notice. It's been two weeks. Why is it taking so long now? I see other people here got their notices much faster. :(( I hope NBC can move faster.

shine2 said:
Still waiting. Checks are not cashed and no receipt notice. It's been two weeks. Why is it taking so long now? I see other people here got their notices much faster. :(( I hope NBC can move faster.

Was it signed for?
If so dont worry it took me 2 weeks to receive my NOA receipts

thanks gatorlink

my lawyer said he sent it by FedEx and it would get there the next day. I don't know if it's signed for. Maybe I should call the lawyer again. He said it usually takes 3-4 weeks now to get receipt notice from NBC since they are currently handling applications from all over the country--before it was only half of the nation.

shine2 said:
my lawyer said he sent it by FedEx and it would get there the next day. I don't know if it's signed for. Maybe I should call the lawyer again. He said it usually takes 3-4 weeks now to get receipt notice from NBC since they are currently handling applications from all over the country--before it was only half of the nation.

Since it was sent via fedex someone has to sign for it so its just a matter of time

still waiting for EAD and advance Par.,receipt date 04/13/05,its 30days today, i need both of them badly now!!!,what should i do wait or go get an intrim???!!!

mr needy said:
still waiting for EAD and advance Par.,receipt date 04/13/05,its 30days today, i need both of them badly now!!!,what should i do wait or go get an intrim???!!!
We have almost same timeline. Though you got your FP done quite long ago. I don't think we can get intrim EAD before completing 30 days waiting. And for AP you will have to have some kind of proof like a medical report of a family member back home or something... Good Luck. Keep us inform.

thanks for the reply amishah, its 30 days to day lets see how things workout , my I765 & i130 got luds from 04/18/05 to 05/03/05,nothing since then.... how about u?? any change in luds??

mr needy said:
thanks for the reply amishah, its 30 days to day lets see how things workout , my I765 & i130 got luds from 04/18/05 to 05/03/05,nothing since then.... how about u?? any change in luds??
No. Nothing has change on my case. I got my FP done on 6th of May. So its been only a week today. I am expecting to change my LUD sometime in next week.

mr needy said:
I think you have to wait 90 days before you can get an interim ead be patient, my r/d is 2/25/05 and i'm still waiting for my ead approval.

That's right. Interim EAD is only issued after 90 days. There is an option in InfoPass for:

"Your employment authorization application was filed over 90 days."

amishah said:
Even if he is saying that since he has filed for AP, he wouldn't get emergancy AP then its not true. Emergancy AP is like intrim EAD. If you have file for AP and its not approved and he needs to travel in emergancy then he has to get Emergancy AP.

Actually, Emergency AP is NOT like interim EAD (at least from my reading of what the USCIS website says). The district office folowed correct procedure. If you have already filed I-131 with the lockbox, it cannot then be adjudicated at the District Office. The DO has to contact NBC to expedite the existing AP application.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/nbc/faq.htm

"What if I have an emergent need to travel?

If an applicant has an emergent need to travel and has already filed an I-131, Application for Advance Parole, with the NBC, the applicant or his/her representative should contact the local Field Office. The Field Office will consider the merits of the request and channel those requests that they determine to warrant expedited handling to designated points of contact at the NBC via an internal e-mail address.

If an applicant has not yet filed an I-131 and needs an expedited Travel Document, the I-131 may be submitted in person for adjudication at the local Field Office. However, it is very important to note that expedited processing is done at the discretion of the Field Office, based upon the evidence provided by the applicant of the emergent situation."

You got this information from official website so it can not be wrong. But when I went to DO for my FP, I asked the officer at the window that what should I do if I don't get my AP in say 4 months and I need to travel in emergancy? and she said you can come here with a proof of emergany and can get the AP at same day. Now I don't know whom to trust? The USCIS website or USCIS officer? :confused: :p

Well hopefully you'll get your AP approved soon so it won't be an issue for you.

I guess they don't want people to have two different AP docs at the same time.