Received Green Card today - Adjusted from TN through wife

cdnchris

Registered Users (C)
I received my Green Card in the mail today, good for 10 years. I adjusted from TN, though did it through the wife and not the company. Thought I'd post in the TN section for any other people thinking of adjusting from TN through their spouse. Just give back story:

Married my wife in 2003. Got her a Canadian PR card in 2004.

Got a job offer in Seattle in November of 2005. Went to POE at Port Huron, MI but was rejected as they didn't like my letter. Was finger printed so, according to them, I wouldn't be able to say I was never denied entry. Got it fixed and a week later I went back down, was approved, drove cross country. They never asked about my American wife, though at the time I didn't realize it would have even been an issue. Was only planning on staying a year or two anyways then move up to BC.

My wife joins me two months later. A few months after that my wife starts talking about staying there and getting my green card, and I start looking up if it's possible. A couple months after that I send in all the documentation, I-130, I-485, and I-765, since my TN will definitely expire before I get the GC. Received Date was July 19th, 2006.

Biometrics was taken Aug 14th.

An RFE was sent on Aug 18th requesting tax information despite the fact we had sent it with the original application. We just sent THE EXACT SAME THING again and they took it this time.

My TN was expiring end of November, and by the end of October nothing had been done with with my EAD. I made an Infopass on Halloween and the officer there made a push on it, despite the fact I had an RFE. I received my EAD a couple of weeks later, my TN only good for a couple more.

Received the interview letter end of November.

Went in for interview Jan 4. Officer was very nice and didn't seem to care about my TN status, was only concerned about my occupation and how much I made. There were also just some simple questions to make sure the marriage was legit. Was there maybe 15-20 minutes. Said I was approved and I should get the green card in a couple of weeks.

2 weeks later I still hadn't received anything and my online status hadn't changed (not even a look-up date). Made an Infopass appointment. Officer there spent an hour tracking down what had happened. Turns out my application got "lost in the shuffle" and after some checking everything was okay. He stamped my passport and told me I would get my green card this time FOR SURE in 2 weeks.

And he wasn't lying. Not even 2 weeks later and I'm now holding this beautiful off-white piece of plastic in my hands.

Anyways, hope that others might find this helpful :)

Thank you! :) I come from the London, Ontario area.

I also meant to add, for any future TN->GC-through-spouse applicants, that I would recommend giving yourself at least 6 months before your TN expires, so that you have a much better chance of getting your EAD before your TN expires. I did 4 months and that was really cutting it close because of an RFE.

I am in the same position. Been on 6 TN's since 1997, then met my wife, married a year later, got the green card and now finally going to my Oath Ceremony to be a USC this month.

So long trip, but yep it's very possible to do. It's a whole world of relief when you get that Green Card over a TN, it was like unbinding shackles that had been so tight around me...